News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is Maclean's right, Globe and Mail right and National Post right (not to mention, Toronto Sun right or Fox News right) - I think one can sort out what's opinion and what's fact without having to invoke the left and use it as a red herring in this debate. Criticizing Maclean's is like challening the assertion that NOW mag is anything but factual.

AoD

Last edited:
MacLean's is a Ken Whyte right-wing-bias deliverer these days, so most 'articles' are also opinion pieces.

Of course they are opinion pieces, why else would you read any magazine?
Unbiased straight news is the reason you read newspapers, do you skip over all the columnists because they may have an opinion?

I think one can sort out what's opinion and what's fact without having to invoke the left and use it as a red herring in this debate.
Apparently not.

Of course columns and opinion pieces have some sort of writer slant, bias, ideology, etc... it's the natural result of one's heuristic development.

You're the one who implied bias, I'm just pointing out what the completion of your logic could be understood to mean - and it would be wrong. Dismissing things as red herrings is a convenient way to avoid admitting you may have a bias of your own - which there's no reason to do because it's perfectly acceptable to have one.

Lately with this provincial election, I've been noticing that the news outlets have ramped up their anti-Ford reporting, anyone else notice that?

Unbiased straight news doesn't exist. Writers have opinions about things.

Obviously they have opinions about things. And obviously perfectly unbiased reporting can't exist, any more than a ball can be perfectly round.

Yet we end up with pretty round balls and pretty fair journalism some of the time. The latter from journalists who understand that their job is to try and tell all relevant sides of the story, that they're not there to spin or write opinion pieces, and that they have an obligation to convey all of the relevant facts in proper context, including those that challenge whatever opinion they may have.

The pedantic will point out that that doesn't make for perfectly unbiased news, any more than a bouncy ball is perfectly round. The rest of us will recognize that those are ideals, not states of being, and be thankful for those journalists with the willingness and resources to get on with their job of providing unbiased straight news the best they can.

And then there's opinion pieces. And Maclean's...

Last edited:
^ I don't know if wishful thinking is clouding my judgement but there seems to be a very good chance that Ford will be shown to have cheated in the election. You know what happens to cheaters in a competition? ... exactly ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back