News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to a speech Ford gave to the Empire Club here: http://torontoist.com/2011/10/rob-ford-on-our-crumbling-fiscal-foundation/

Nothing new, same old same old. It is frustrating, however, to have heard on the news earlier this week about how the land transfer tax has made a significant contribution to revenues because of the continuing strong real estate market in the city. Of course, Ford isn't going to mention that because he wants to do away with it. Instead, he likes to talk about how expenses outstrip revenues -- well, duh, then don't remove an important revenue source! -- and how we would need to increase property taxes by 34% which is just a scare tactic.

I was interested to see the noticeably wonkier tone Ford took in this speech, obviously written by one of his brainier advisors. I still disagree with the analysis, but it appears the Ford team has realized the previous strategy of hysteria, hand-waving, and endless repitition of nonsensical slogans wasn't exactly winning over the doubters. Giving this speech in that venue is interesting, too. One of the most tone-deaf elements of the Ford approach has been an apparent conviction that the business community's main policy goal is endless tax cuts. For people who run organizations whose competitiveness depends almost entirely on Toronto's ability to attract footloose and fickle talent--the banks and hedge funds, media companies, biomedical research companies, tech startups--that couldnt be farther from the truth. If the Fords are smartening up on that score it's a sign that they're learning from this autumn's backlash.

After TCHC has sold its 706 properties, then the city's land transfer tax will be removed. Might as well make a little more revenue, unless the buyer is a first-time home buyer where they are exempt from the city transfer tax.

What? Where do you think the land transfer tax revenue goes?

After TCHC has sold its 706 properties, then the city's land transfer tax will be removed. Might as well make a little more revenue, unless the buyer is a first-time home buyer where they are exempt from the city transfer tax.

This doesn't make sense. Selling the houses is a one-time deal. The land-transfer tax brings in money every year. Where do you think Ford will find the money next year?

An unfortunate consequence of the uncertainty over the fate of the zoo: the donor base may dry up. Globe and Mail: Threat of zoo sale has donors closing wallets

It was clear from the outset that donor concern centred not so much on the fate of the aged elephants or the status of the giraffe pen, but about something much more central to the fortunes of Canada’s largest zoo: “What’s happening to my money?â€

“That’s what’s on every donor’s mind,†said Councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby in an interview Tuesday. “As soon as you hear the zoo could be sold or turned into Busch Gardens, you want to know why you should keep up with your donations. We have to let people know that the city is not entertaining a public fire sale.â€
Since city council voted in favour of selling or leasing the Toronto Zoo last month, some long-time donors have decided to postpone large gifts until the zoo’s ownership issues are resolved, a process that could take years. Board members are working to reassure donors that they have no intention of selling the zoo to a private interest such as Parque Reunidos – the amusement park giant making inquiries about the Toronto Zoo at city hall. The board is worried that the zoo’s uncertain fate could undermine its donor base – worth $1.7-million in 2010 – for years to come.

Another chink in the Ford armour? Toronto Star: Blair wins: Ford poised to accept police budget hike

Police Chief Bill Blair was told by Mayor Rob Ford and the police board to make a 10 per cent budget cut. When he returned with a 1.5 per cent increase, saying the requested reduction of $93 million would necessitate layoffs and endanger the public, Ford’s hand-picked representative on the board threatened his job.

Less than three weeks later, Blair has proposed an increase of 0.6 per cent — and the man who uttered the threat, Councillor Michael Thompson, said the board will approve the proposal Thursday even though it is only $8 million smaller than the proposed increase the board firmly rejected on Oct. 5.

And in other news, Krista Ford quits the Lingerie Football League.

“I am really sad to let you all know that I have left the Toronto Triumph,” she wrote on her Facebook page. “It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make.”

After a crushing 48-14 loss to the Tampa Breeze in its first official game last month, the Triumph released four players and its defensive coach, prompting Ford and other members to quit in protest. The Toronto team has played only one game so far.

“It’s really upsetting how the events unfolded, but unfortunately, I had to stand up for what was right,” Ford, the team’s captain, told the Star.

Last edited:
That's interesting. CP24 was selling it this morning as a 4.6% cut this year followed by a 5.4% cut next year. Perhaps they weren't taking their massive pay hike into account?

As much as I hate Ford, if what the Star article says is true it really pisses me off. That the police force shouldn't suffer the same pains as every other department in the city just isn't right.

This mayor is a real idiot. I can respect a mayor who accomplishes what he said he'd do, even if I disagree with the objective, but this fat stupid f#ck can't even tackle a budget. Two more years of this...

This mayor is a real idiot. I can respect a mayor who accomplishes what he said he'd do, even if I disagree with the objective, but this fat stupid f#ck can't even tackle a budget. Two more years of this...

Well, you're right, he's a real idiot, and most people who post to this thread knew that before the election, yet a majority of the suburban voters put him in power. (I am still finding it all too strange). But Ford is taking a beating now. Many of us wrote that Ford would become very, very frustrated while in office, and that is happening now. Ford's a lone wolf, always has been, and he will remain one, as mayor, as his supporters slowly walk away.

It's all proving to be a waste of our time, and opposers of Ford can, and will, develop that theme during the next couple of years.

It would have been interesting to see how Mayor Ford was received by the Arts community at the Mayor's Arts Awards Lunch, but TIFF's Cameron Bailey has tweeted that "Mayor Ford sends his regrets..."

Edit to add:
NOW's Glen Sumi had tweeted "Heading to Mayor's Arts Awards lunch. Will the mayor show up? And how many mins b4 first @margaretatwood joke?!" only to later tweet the predictable truth ""The mayor had hoped to be here today.. but had to attend to an urgent matter" - yup, true folks. Huge moan after that."

It will be interesting to find out if, indeed, there was an "urgent matter" or if the Mayor was just afraid to face the Toronto Arts community.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back