News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what people think about today's Star story and what it says about Lisi's cooperation with police. There has been speculation and rumor on this thread that he's been working for the TPS. Does today's story dispell, or support that presumption?

On one hand, having to go to apple to seek videos and recordings with a warrant wouldn't be necessary if Lisi merely entered his icloud password. But on the other hand, perhaps Lisi divulged the existence of other videos? (in inclined to think he's not working with cops)
But what if these videos and other files were deleted by Lisi? That would explain why TPS would need to go to Apple headquarters to retrieve the files.

I'm wondering what people think about today's Star story and what it says about Lisi's cooperation with police. There has been speculation and rumor on this thread that he's been working for the TPS. Does today's story dispell, or support that presumption?

On one hand, having to go to apple to seek videos and recordings with a warrant wouldn't be necessary if Lisi merely entered his icloud password. But on the other hand, perhaps Lisi divulged the existence of other videos? (in inclined to think he's not working with cops)

Why would Apple give over videos. This seems like a huge advertisement for Blackberry. Anyone or any organization that values privacy would stay away from Apple.

Why would Apple give over videos. This seems like a huge advertisement for Blackberry. Anyone or any organization that values privacy would stay away from Apple.

Why, what do you think Blackberry's new slogan would be? "We'll break the law to keep the man away from your incriminating data!" That might work for a startup based in Europe, but not an established corporation like RIM/Blackberry. Even Lavabit (the US-based "secure" email provider) shut down rather than fight against the NSA/US government.

The Star has previously reported that detectives applied to an Ontario court for a search warrant to unlock Lisi’s iPhone and an “assistance order” to gain access to data connected to the phone that is housed with Apple Inc.

http://ca.blackberry.com/legal/privacy-policy.html
The application of this Privacy Policy remains subject to applicable laws including legislation, regulations and the orders of any courts or other lawful authorities, other lawful requests or legal processes.

If Lisi was gathering incriminating audio/video, he def shouldn't have stored it on iCloud. The best thing to do would've been to remove the files from his iPhone whenever he had the chance and to store them on privately owned computers/hard drives using 3rd-party encryption (e.g. Truecrypt). Of course, most non-techies don't have the knowledge to do all of that. The best he probably could've done would be to ensure that everything stayed on his phone and that his phone never fell into the wrong hands. Kinda of a Catch-22, though, considering that he would carry his phone everywhere he goes (even if it was a 2nd phone, since he would need it on hand to record all of those conversations.)

Last edited:
I wonder if this is the nail in the coffin for Ford. If there's a video or recording of him discussing the plan to retrieve the video, that ought to be enough (with all the clandestine meetings, and the DNR records) to prove conspiracy to commit an indictable offense, I would think.

Why would Apple give over videos.

Um, because corporations have to comply with legal orders like warrants? Apple does business in Canada, if a Canadian judge tells them to turn over information, their hands are tied. Large corporations have entire teams of people dedicated to complying with law enforcement. It's not like they just gave the data to Joe Blow who emailed Tim Cook while drunk and asked for it.

Blackberry hands over data too. They gave the Indian government the encryption keys to BES in their country simply because they asked for it. Every large corporation complies with law enforcement. This is a good thing, IMO.

If Lisi was gathering incriminating audio/video, he def shouldn't have stored it on iCloud. The best thing to do would've been to remove the files from his iPhone whenever he had the chance and to store them on privately owned computers/hard drives using 3rd-party encryption (e.g. Truecrypt).

You are way overestimating the man's intelligence. The vast majority of the population don't know how encryption works, much less how to do it properly.

I wonder if this is the nail in the coffin for Ford. If there's a video or recording of him discussing the plan to retrieve the video, that ought to be enough (with all the clandestine meetings, and the DNR records) to prove conspiracy to commit an indictable offense, I would think.
It would explain why Ford would be nervous about this. I don't think he'd be nervous about there being a video of him buying drugs from Lisi, for example, since he's already admitted to buying drugs while mayor. Unless it's coke that he's buying...then again, he probably doesn't care if that info comes out.

Last edited:
If Lisi was gathering incriminating audio/video, he def shouldn't have stored it on iCloud.

These cloud services are probably the best thing to happen to law enforcement since sliced bread.

On a podcast I heard recently someone said that FBI now stands for "Facebook + Instagram"

You are way overestimating the man's intelligence. The vast majority of the population don't know how encryption works, much less how to do it properly.

Agreed. I don't actually think Lisi could do any of that; that's why I edited my post to say that it would be too much for non-techies to handle. I guess I should've written: "If I were him..."

I would expect him to have the common sense not to sync his files with iCloud, but that also might be a stretch.

Also, I think a non-techie would be able to transfer audio/video files off their phone, move them to an external hard drive, then put the hard drive in a secure location. But would anybody bother, even a guy like Lisi who's collecting dirt on everyone to cover his back? Sure, he wouldn't know how to erase all the traces of having done so (wasn't the crack video recovered from a deleted file?), but it's better than keeping everything his phone so the cops have almost guaranteed access when they arrest him.

Last edited:
Most people turn on these cloud backup services without thinking at all about where the data goes. I bet Lisi had no idea that the videos/recordings were in the cloud.

Who cares? He can't effect other peoples' lives with the stuff he does at home. Even Vito Corleone was nice to his grandchildren, you know? That stuff is meaningless.

Exactly. I could not care less whether he pets his dog or how he speaks to his wife. He's a damaging nasty piece of work.

I think the line in the story that says Ford AND Lisi are nervous means that Lisi is not working with police.

Looking forward to the March 5th.

Meaningless to citizens, yes; not to his family. All I was saying is that Tim Hudak is probably a good family man and friendly guy in his personal life. Don't let his politics act as an all encompassing measurement of who he is as a person. It's illogical to call him evil because he has different social views than you. Life isn't that cut and dry.

You hear that so often (from cons) - he's a good 'family man' - as though it's vindication for being a shit in all other respects. It used to be he's a 'good christian', but you can't really get away with that anymore. These statements imply that if you are not a family man or a christian you are probably unworthy or guilty of something. This is shit thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back