News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory Morris could be some boutique guy who is so good he doesn't need a website and all that but I see no evidence of that. I put his name into Canli, a legal database of Canadian cases at all levels, and it brought up nothing.

I get a handful of low-level drug cases. Most cases don't get reported, and even very good lawyers don't necessarily show up in the CanLII database all that often, particularly if they don't choose to do really high-profile, high-stakes, super-stressful cases. So Morris not showing up on CanLII, per se, doesn't mean that much.

There are legitimate differences between candidates and policies municipally, and there is an argument to be made about getting it into the open, rather than having to play guessing games about where someone falls on the political spectrum.

Not sure if you're commenting on my Nenshi quote, but if you are, I agree that candidates ought to be precise and clear about the big policy issues of the recent past and near future. Who should pay what taxes, what should total revenue be, what should city gov't pay for and what should they stay out of, how active should we be about civil liberties, all of that and more is part of the discussion in an ideal mayoral campaign.

What I think Nenshi is correct about is that it's useless and an insult to voters for candidates to try to position themselves on some kind of 1-dimensional scale, as in, Hey, Candidate X is a crazy left-winger, and Candidate Y is a wishy-washy middle-of-the-roader, but vote for me because Candidate Z is too extreme of a right-winger.

As for Morris, he has no record beyond his attachment to the Ford family.

IIRC, some have pointed to his many past, non-Ford representations. Specifically in mob-free Hamilton. Yee-haw! In terms of his clientele, Dennis Morris would appear to be a capital-C Criminal Lawyer. And, who knows, maybe hotmail is too under the radar for the NSA or CSEC these days? *taps nose*

Rob Ford float at Mardi Gras:
BhnA41TCAAA-MFd.jpg

I get a handful of low-level drug cases. Most cases don't get reported, and even very good lawyers don't necessarily show up in the CanLII database all that often, particularly if they don't choose to do really high-profile, high-stakes, super-stressful cases. So Morris not showing up on CanLII, per se, doesn't mean that much.

It's true it doesn't prove much - CanLi is hardly comprehensive. It's not much more detailed than saying "Person X is more famous than Person Y because I pulled up more Google hits on their name."

But if I put in, say, Edward Greenspan, he comes up. Why? Because he's The Best Defense Lawyer in Canada. Like I said, it's possible Morris is just so good he's all on the down-low, but I don't see it. His manner also does not suggest The Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada (and we all know everything with the Fords is "I'm the Best Mayor Ever," etc. hyperbole anyway) but, okay, he could just be an eccentric. So, emails Gawker from a Hotmail and uses bad syntax? Not a crime. Google him and pull up nothing at all that's not Ford related? Also, not a crime. But you put it altogether and it really doesn't suggest he's much.

But, all that said, my bigger issue remains the peculiar notion that the Fords have to keep an exceptional criminal lawyer on retainer (even if he's merely a bad one they think is exceptional). If they were upset about defamation or libel, you'd think someone at Deco would know a lawyer who deals with such things. Surely some of their high-falutin corporate or political pals could suggest someone in the field. But nope, it's straight over to Morris. Even Ford doesn't go on about him being, "The Best Lawyer in Canada," it's always "Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada," which is just an awful peculiar thing all around when you're dealing with Gawker and the Globe and Mail and not (so far!) criminal charges of any kind.

IIRC, some have pointed to his many past, non-Ford representations. Specifically in mob-free Hamilton. Yee-haw! In terms of his clientele, Dennis Morris would appear to be a capital-C Criminal Lawyer. And, who knows, maybe hotmail is too under the radar for the NSA or CSEC these days? *taps nose*
yep, I posted this on Feb 4:
yep, info on Dennis Morris representing Randy Ford in the kidnapping case was posted here around Aug 2013 (pg 1249 or so). Also noted in Kinsella's blog. That was back in 1986?? Morris is older than he looks, I guess?

It seems that Morris also represents Andre Gravelle of Hamilton. Gravelle is described as "A senior member of a Hamilton crime family, Gravelle has a record for drug and drug smuggling offences" (link at durhamregion.com) though he seems to have escaped the more serious murder charge:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2525347-andr-gravelle-11-others-charged-in-medical-marijuana-bust/

Morris seems to like dealing with families connected to the drug trade.

It's true it doesn't prove much - CanLi is hardly comprehensive. It's not much more detailed than saying "Person X is more famous than Person Y because I pulled up more Google hits on their name."

But if I put in, say, Edward Greenspan, he comes up. Why? Because he's The Best Defense Lawyer in Canada. Like I said, it's possible Morris is just so good he's all on the down-low, but I don't see it. His manner also does not suggest The Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada (and we all know everything with the Fords is "I'm the Best Mayor Ever," etc. hyperbole anyway) but, okay, he could just be an eccentric. So, emails Gawker from a Hotmail and uses bad syntax? Not a crime. Google him and pull up nothing at all that's not Ford related? Also, not a crime. But you put it altogether and it really doesn't suggest he's much.

But, all that said, my bigger issue remains the peculiar notion that the Fords have to keep an exceptional criminal lawyer on retainer (even if he's merely a bad one they think is exceptional). If they were upset about defamation or libel, you'd think someone at Deco would know a lawyer who deals with such things. Surely some of their high-falutin corporate or political pals could suggest someone in the field. But nope, it's straight over to Morris. Even Ford doesn't go on about him being, "The Best Lawyer in Canada," it's always "Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada," which is just an awful peculiar thing all around when you're dealing with Gawker and the Globe and Mail and not (so far!) criminal charges of any kind.
Dennis Morris is the "best criminal lawyer in Canada" the same way Rob Ford is "The best Mayor this city's ever had". It's just hyperbolic nonsense from an insane idiot.

And what's sad is that my previous statement is not hyperbolic at all.

Greets back. Lived in Kensington from '89 to '93 (with a small residence in the Moxam Building - or was it the Congress? - on 13th, I believe. Strange tales of that...). Getty-Klein times. Anyway, I have fond memories of the place, met many great people (like the Michael Green and the OYR folks, etc.) but I cou;dn't waitto get back to T.O. Maybe I just missed brick. Been back to snowboard since but, despite the madness, glad to be back in The Dot. Hope you're prospering there though.

Hey, thanks. It's fair to say I'm reasonably prosperous, in large part because there's no shortage of people who can think and create in this town, just like every other big city in Canada.

Mention of Getty and Klein makes me think about the idea that "Every nation [or province or city] gets the government it deserves". Yeah, partly, but random coincidences of personalities matter too. Calgary has Nenshi, other cities have very competent leaders too, but Toronto has Rob Ford. Deserve's got nothing [or not much] to do with it.

Ford is (or was, earlier tonight) at an event held by the Consulate General of Portugal in Toronto for the President of Portugal, live music by Nelly Furtado. It was held at the Elgin/Winter Garden Theatre. And you had to email/call for an invitation, not something you can buy tickets for.

info here (you'll have to use Google translate as it's in Portuguese):
http://cgptoronto.blogspot.ca/

Instagram post from some girl:
Vera Raposo ‏@VeraRaponzel 1h
Well..this was unexpected! I go in to meet the President..and walk out to find #RobFord haha
http://instagram.com/p/k_Bq_AKYCd/

Amy Di Palma ‏@amesdp 44m
normal fri eve with my daddio waiting to meet the president of portugal, nelly furtado, and rob ford…
(her pic didn't include Ford, so not posting)

What's the likely charge Ford would face? Lisi may claim that Ford ordered the extortion attempt, but it's his word only, unless there is a recording of Ford. Perhaps it's trying to have his ex-brother in law beat up or killed in jail? Again, just words if no evidence.

Why didn't TPS just pull the mayor over after the gas station drug drops?

What's the likely charge Ford would face? Lisi may claim that Ford ordered the extortion attempt, but it's his word only, unless there is a recording of Ford. Perhaps it's trying to have his ex-brother in law beat up or killed in jail? Again, just words if no evidence.

Lisi knew he was being followed so the prevailing wisdom is that the TPS assumed some/all of the envelopes were decoys.

I think it's bigger than all of that. Remember that the phrase "misuse of the office of Mayor" has come up more than once. There are some things we don't know about yet, probably related to corruption. We can't forget about those envelope drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back