News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an interesting article - or at least the headline. (Sorry if this has already been discussed, but if I fail to check this thread every few hours I am hundreds of posts behind and usually don't read the entire history).

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...f_exaides_part_in_federal_kicback_scheme.html

It seems that current LIBERAL deputy Mayor Norm Kelly's staff member was charged as a result of the giant Federal LIBERAL HRDC scandal, and the article has Ford in the title.

And people wonder why Ford supporters think that the Star has been unfair to him.
She worked with Ford a lot longer than she has worked with Kelly. So the headline is accurate.
Of course, they are going to go with a headline that will catch the eye.
The story is opening the door, I guess, to questions about possible corruption at city hall, since no one did a proper background check on her.
The councillor she worked for, for years, should be questioned.

And also a reminder that it seems anyone can work at city hall, no matter the issues. Personal or criminal problems a hinderance to career advancement? See Rob or Doug--they'll hook you up. Kelly as a Liberal? Kelly was hand-picked by Rob/Doug to be deputy and follow the descent into hell that was Ford Nation.

She worked with Ford a lot longer than she has worked with Kelly. So the headline is accurate.
Of course, they are going to go with a headline that will catch the eye.
The story is opening the door, I guess, to questions about possible corruption at city hall, since no one did a proper background check on her.
The councillor she worked for, for years, should be questioned.

Kelly also took on Ford staffers no questions asked when Ford got spanked and his budget cut. Hard to blame Kelly for not wanting to see people out of a job.

Two key members of the mayor’s staff will soon be serving a new master.
Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly announced Tuesday afternoon that Earl Provost, the mayor’s chief of staff, and Sheila Paxton, the mayor’s policy director, will be moving to work under his supervision.

“I think efforts have been made to reach him, but he’s a moving target today,†Kelly said when asked whether Toronto Mayor Rob Ford had been alerted of the staffing changes. “I think staff have talked with him, that’s my understanding, so hopefully it doesn’t come as a surprise.â€

The decision by staff members whether to stay with the mayor or move to under his control was entirely up to the individual employee, Kelly said

"I did not force anyone, or entice anyone to join the new office,†he said. “This was done of their own free will.â€

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/ford/key-staff-move-from-mayor-s-office-as-kelly-assumes-new-role-1.1550234

“If he’s going to arrest me, arrest me.â€
Why Toronto’s red-faced mayor should think twice next time about daring the police chief to charge him
By Daniel Stein

Mayor Rob Ford’s dare to police Chief Bill Blair to arrest him last week sounds tough, but sounds more like the bluster of someone who’s worried he’s desperately cornered.

Actually, it was at least the second time that Ford “dared†the chief to arrest him. He’s been spinning rhetoric against the police for months ahead of potential charges for his crack-related escapades.

Ford knows full well that if charges come, they’ll take years to get to court. So he’s using the police investigation into the infamous crack video – and his alleged drug dealer’s and staff’s efforts to retrieve it – to full advantage to show that the police are out to get him.

But as Ford’s crack anniversary looms and we head into an election, many wonder if, under the radar, the police really are getting ready to charge him.

I see this is a misplaced hope. But there is one reason why Toronto’s red-faced mayor should think twice before he lets his mouth run off again: there has probably been a wire on him for the last four months. At NOW press time Wednesday Blair announced he has asked OPP to take an oversight role in Toronto police’s probe of Ford.

At the risk of being accused of carrying water for the police, let me say first that as time goes on it’s increasingly likely that the police will never charge Ford.

A criminal investigation is like cake. It gets stale. This may sound like I’m trying to be clever, but it’s true.

Right off the bat, it’s a sure thing that Ford will never get charged for the crack he smoked, or for the marijuana or, sorry to say, any alleged drinking and driving. They’re in the past, and they’ll stay there.

Eyewitnesses made statements under the threat of criminal charges if they lied. But there are time limitations (six months for some charges) and other requirements (e.g., you need the victim’s cooperation) that apply in court.

Jailhouse witnesses are no more likely to turn now than they were last summer, and are more likely to be disbelieved.

Ford’s alleged drug dealer, Sandro Lisi, is not going to testify against his good friend. The mayor’s latest drunken escapade at the Steak Queen restaurant prove that, if nothing else.

Last year a mad search for the crack video that led to extortion charges against Lisi, a cloud of suspicion over the mayor’s office, a shooting in a Rexdale apartment building and a shakedown a few days later brought us no closer to a charge against the mayor. There’s nothing to say that Ford ordered Lisi to do what was necessary to get that video.

The one caveat – or last vestige of hope, depending on your perspective – is that the police were in a good position to get a wire on Ford. This isn’t the United States. There are actually some strong barriers to putting a wire on someone here, thank god. But sometime around October 29 the police were in a good position to get over them.

By then they had Ford on video smoking crack and enough evidence to charge Lisi with extortion, but the mayor had eluded their grasp. Maybe for good reason. Maybe, despite all of Ford’s criminal ways, Lisi had acted on his own. But the cops could now get a wire on the mayor if they wanted to. Hard to believe they passed that up.

Any charges, I think, will depend on a wire alone. Witnesses against a person like Ford can’t take you far. The police need a smoking gun.

One thing is for sure, though. Political foes who hope Ford’s downfall will come at the hands of the police are relying on a narrative that could ultimately benefit the mayor.

In the meantime, voters and candidates know all they need to about how unfit he is for office. His conduct, as much as what to do about rapid transit in Toronto, is an issue facing this city.

If candidates running for mayor treat Ford with kid gloves, they’re missing an opportunity to connect with voters. It would also show that his bullying worked.

Daniel Stein is a criminal lawyer.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=196972

Folks, connect the dots:

1)TPS has undertaken a massive investigation featuring planes, top homicide investigators, round-the-clock surveillance and OPP involvement - loads of money spent on this
2) Lisi's ITO mentions Smith - was he extorting Smith? What's the connection?
3) An upgraded charge for Lisi may be forthcoming - perhaps there was only evidence of the extortion before, but newer searches have pointed to a more serious conspiracy?
4) Ford's staffers reported a connection between Smith and the video to the police. *The people Ford self-proclaimed to be the most loyal to him in the world found this connection credible enough to go to police (their characters notwithstanding)
5) A flurry of phone calls between Lisi and Ford, and Lisi to other numbers, around the time of Smith's murder
6) A highly unorthodox non-trial charge and conviction for the man who killed Smith - to keep the case out of the spotlight perhaps? Bigger fish being fried here?
7) Smiths phone nabbed after the shooting
8) Ford is a stupid man with a lot to lose - a dangerous combo?

Disclaimer: I know nothing

And also a reminder that it seems anyone can work at city hall, no matter the issues. Personal or criminal problems a hinderance to career advancement? See Rob or Doug--they'll hook you up. Kelly as a Liberal? Kelly was hand-picked by Rob/Doug to be deputy and follow the descent into hell that was Ford Nation.

Norm *was* a Liberal back in the 80s as a one-term MP. He's since changed his tune, and according to Matt Elliot's Council Scorecards voted with Ford more than 90% of the time since 2010 but far be it from Ford Nation to recognize this.

Stein has been incredibly pessimistic about the whole thing, and it should be pointed out is *no longer* a *practicing* lawyer. Just a week prior to the OPP handoff, he was claiming the cops have nothing and that they're just stalling to try and get people to crack. He has said he is not privy to any inside information, nor is his opinion copacetic with other, active criminal lawyers who've commented on the whole situation. I often feel he's intentionally contrarian, given how much he seems to want people to hear his opinion.

From Stein's article:
"Right off the bat, it’s a sure thing that Ford will never get charged for the crack he smoked, or for the marijuana or, sorry to say, any alleged drinking and driving. They’re in the past, and they’ll stay there."
Was anyone under the impression that he would get charged for doing those things? I don't think so.

"Ford’s alleged drug dealer, Sandro Lisi, is not going to testify against his good friend. The mayor’s latest drunken escapade at the Steak Queen restaurant prove that, if nothing else."
How does Stein know that Ford was drunk at Steak Queen? I wish the media would focus less on alcohol and more on his appetite for drugs.

"Any charges, I think, will depend on a wire alone. Witnesses against a person like Ford can’t take you far. The police need a smoking gun."
Conversations with Ford captured in video and audio on Lisi's phone is a smoking gun, I would assume.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here (recently), but in the ITO, Paxton is cited as having called the cops to express concern that someone appeared to be following Ford's car around.

Regarding Sheila Paxton, here's a family member responding to the Star's article: http://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/1zt18q/toronto_city_hall_aide_sheila_paxton_faces/cfwozt5

"ConvernedKidTO" is off his rocker. He said:

"About those comments? They were made to the Star reporters a decade ago who guaranteed anonymity. When she brought this up to the reporter who wrote this article, he said "That was then, you are with Ford now". Let's go over that again.. because she had the nerve to work for someone they hated, the reporter admitted they were going to twist her words, take them out of context, and break the deal made for anonymity because getting Ford and any one associated with him is all they care about."

There were no "comments" in the Star from 10 years ago. All quotes from Paxton used were from her testimony at trial against her three colleagues on 2006. I call BS on the Star saying "That was then, you are with Ford now" particularly when she is not with Ford, and appears to have spent more time with Grimes than Ford or Kelly. Any other Paxton quote is from present day and are in response to the lawsuit, and she can't have thought that her comments now on her lawsuit were anonymous or confidential.

Stein has been incredibly pessimistic about the whole thing, and it should be pointed out is *no longer* a *practicing* lawyer. Just a week prior to the OPP handoff, he was claiming the cops have nothing and that they're just stalling to try and get people to crack. He has said he is not privy to any inside information, nor is his opinion copacetic with other, active criminal lawyers who've commented on the whole situation. I often feel he's intentionally contrarian, given how much he seems to want people to hear his opinion.

Totally agree with your assessment. His latest piece in NOW fails to account for the public statement from Pugash about wanting to protect a future court case. Hardly the language you'd expect from the TPS if they were hoping to bait Ford into some sort of incriminating action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back