News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though the campaign "season" opened on January 2, 2014, election signs cannot be put up until on or after October 2, 2014.

They have to be removed by October 30, 2014.

This is probably more of a protest than it is an election sign they expect to keep up. The candidate just gets charged, what, $25 if someone makes a complaint about an illegal sign and they have to remove it? Partner with a print shop to print the sign for free, cheap trip to Home Depot for wood and nails, and you got yourself a political statement on public property for the low cost of $25 and change.

Even though the campaign "season" opened on January 2, 2014, election signs cannot be put up until on or after October 2, 2014.

They have to be removed by October 30, 2014.

They aren't endorsing a candidate though (just criticizing one), and should be protected under law as political satire.

They aren't endorsing a candidate though (just criticizing one), and should be protected under law as political satire.

The signs are quite explicitly telling you to vote for anyone but Rob Ford.

Definition of an election sign
Amy [sic] sign advertising or promoting a candidate in a federal, provincial or municipal election, including an election of a local board or commision; or
Intended to influence persons to vote for or against any candidate or any question or bylaw submitted to the electors under section 8 of the Municipal elections Act, 1996.

http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase/88/101000040388.html

Strictly speaking, they are, but if they're not endorsed by a specific candidate I don't know how you'd enforce the bylaw. Also you can't just put stuff up on public property for satire purposes, hahah. Obviously these will be taken down, but fun will be had while they're up.

The signs are quite explicitly telling you to vote for anyone but Rob Ford.

Strictly speaking, they are [in violation of the by-law], but if they're not endorsed by a specific candidate I don't know how you'd enforce the bylaw. Also you can't just put stuff up on public property for satire purposes, hahah. Obviously these will be taken down, but fun will be had while they're up.

If the person(s) who put them up could be identified then they could be charged with a by-law infraction and, if convicted, fined. (Without checking, I expect the signs also offend a by-law about posting signs in public spaces without a permit.) Endorsement or other connection to a candidate is immaterial. The fact that they would qualify for the defence of fair comment on a matter of public interest in a civil suit for defamation if not an answer to the by-law (short of what one supposes might be an interesting Charter of Rights challenge) - but one hopes that (not to mention the Streisand effect) would be seen by City staff as a good reason why whoever has put them up should just be left alone, rather than being chased down to be subjected to a petty fine, and, at most, the signs will be confiscated (a/k/a pulled down).

"

As we all know by now, paying attention to the details of by-law infractions and election misdeeds are for backstabbers, maggots and c*cksuckers.

As we all know by now, paying attention to the details of by-law infractions and election misdeeds are for backstabbers, maggots and c*cksuckers.

I think it's a great idea. Rob was the worst abuser of the sign by-law out here in east Scarborough. Hundreds were put on boulevards and were not removed for many weeks after the election. Karma can be a bitch;)

Endorsement or other connection to a candidate is immaterial.

Not really, since for campaign signs the bylaw specifically levies the fine against the candidate. They pay an upfront deposit to pay for the fine, and if they run out of deposit money, are invoiced for the further fines.

But you're right, I think it would cost the City more than $25 to chase down the $25 fine and they really have better things to do.

I think it's a great idea. Rob was the worst abuser of the sign by-law out here in east Scarborough. Hundreds were put on boulevards and were not removed for many weeks after the election. Karma can be a bitch;)

Private property is different. Was it private property? I'm pretty sure I could put up a campaign sign on my window right now (first floor) and the City couldn't do jack. What are they going to do, fine me for decorating my window?

I don't know how the bylaw would apply in this case, maybe it does.

Oh, I'm sure that Doug is too 'classy' to complain.
Actually, Doug says he received a fax today from the people that put the signs up. They apologized, said Rob Ford is a great guy and didn't mean to harm his reputation and promised to remove the signs immediately. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back