8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold on.

I think I've connected some dots that have me retreating from the ledge. I'd like to hear feedback on this :

Yesterday, Jimmi T's source speculated that the OPP was causing the delay on the arrest that MM was predicting. The reason was that the OPP wants Siad et al. investigated as well for their roles.

Today's Star article confirms Jimmi T's speculation. It doesn't spell out the reason as clearly as JTs source. However there is an important part of the press release that talks about new information being needed by OPP from TPS if they are to move forward. JTs source fills in the blanks. That new information must be an OPP request for an investigation into the wiretap allegations from the ITO that Siad et al had approached Ford with the video and demanded money. It stands to reason that if what Ford did was illegal, what Siad did was as well. You can't go after either one exclusively.

We know that the crown and judges have vetted the charges against Ford. MM still stands by his source saying Ford will be arrested, but the timeline shifted. The ball is back in TPS' court. I'm sure we'll hear more from MM's TPS when he gets back. He said yesterday he speaks to his source in person.

Investigating Siad et al is a good move. It will remove an indication of bias about the investigation when it comes to trial.

*Deep Breath*

Thank you basic. I was thinking something along the same lines, but you expressed it much better than I would have.

I tried to post this earlier, but can't find it.

The OPP motivation may well be that if they don't go after Siyad it undermines the case against Ford. Ford's lawyer can argue that without an extortion threat from Siyad there was no motivation to extort other people for the video. So charging Siyad would actually bolster the case against Ford/Lisi.

So is this now official OPP policy: if you are being blackmailed or extorted, DO NOT go to the police. Instead, hire a drug-dealing thug to go after the people threatening you.

If everyone could tweet and retweet this to TPS and @opp_news, that would be awesome!

I tried to post this earlier, but can't find it.

The OPP motivation may well be that if they don't go after Siyad it undermines the case against Ford. Ford's lawyer can argue that without an extortion threat from Siyad there was no motivation to extort other people for the video. So charging Siyad would actually bolster the case against Ford/Lisi.

There is a risk of Ford coming off as a more sympathetic character as the victim of extortion, but I like this idea that it makes the case more air tight.

While I like these theories, they contradict the Star's interpretation that the OPP's investigator theory was in opposition to Giroux's, rather than additional to. But on hindsight, it is odd that Siad and others were not investigated along similar lines. Huh.

They absolutely can. They never lost jurisdiction over the investigation - they just brought the OPP in for optics. Which clearly backfired.

Interesting point of view and I'm glad you pointed it out. It's kind of the impression that I get from TheStar article as well - The OPP hasn't killed the case, they've just said they're not pursuing and have stepped away from it... pushing the ball back into TPS' court.

MetroMan spinning this as a good thing:

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 1m
TheStar's sources (if different from mine) validates what I've been told. This is a set back but good news. The Crown is on side with TPS.

Not sure I buy that "this is good news . . ."

MM sounding up beat on Twitter. The more I think about this, the more absurd it is. TPS ASKS OPP for oversight for a year long investigation costing millions, and in two weeks kills it? Against the wishes of the fucking attorney general? No. Doesn't play to me.

Does it validate him? It sounds like the OPP haven't seen any new evidence. What about the crime too heinous to mention?

Ya, I've always wondered why cops only went after Ford and Lisi over the video. Maybe they lacked proof that Ford was being blackmailed and, obviously, Ford has refused to cooperate. Whereas they caught Lisi on the wire red-handed making his threats.

That makes sense to me.

They happened upon this whole thing by accident didn't they when investigating for Traveler? They have two guys talking about offers possibly made by Rob for the video but no threats or anything from the wiretaps (from the released info) but without Rob making a complaint, I think the charges would fall flat in court. He would be a key witness against Siad and whoever else they charged. On the other hand, if they have Lisi, Rob et al on wiretaps trying to get the video, then they have evidence of wrongdoing.

From The Gawker article, my recollection is that it was not the intent to sell the video to Ford but to the media. It is possible that Ford was not Blackmailed about it. If the holder of the video gave Ford a price for the video upon request, while they were shopping the video to the media, is that still blackmail?

It's interesting that the Ford case is being shelved by the new OPP commissioner, just as the Gas plant investigation goes into public high gear.

Though UK passport holder do need a US visa, it is interesting that they are investigating Nigella. Will Robbie be next?

Nigella Lawson, the television chef, could be forced to undergo a medical examination - including blood tests for illegal drugs - to obtain a visa for the United States, lawyers have said.

Miss Lawson was prevented from boarding a flight to Los Angeles on Sunday because of an earlier court confession that she took drugs.

Charlotte Slocombe, a US attorney and British solicitor for the London-based law firm Fragomen, said Miss Lawson was likely to be required to see a doctor appointed by the US Embassy as part of a new application for a visa.

“Given the history, she will most likely have to be seen by a physician who will ask about her drug habits,” said Miss Slocombe.

“Blood tests are almost certain to be requested. There is no doctor-patient confidentiality - all the results go straight back to the embassy.”

MM still stands by his source saying Ford will be arrested, but the timeline shifted.
"the timeline shifted"

can i change my date in the pool?

things were looking so good for an arrest this week

i had april 3rd in the pool, and i'm afraid that ship has now sailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back