8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I feel like this might be a cop out for some people's actions. We can report on Ford's shenanigans without adopting his outlook on life. Just because Ford treats his wife terribly does not make it ok for someone here to post something that is offensive to all women in general. If this saga can teach us anything, it is have some insight into ourselves, and yes, think "What would Ford do?" and then do the opposite.

I have to second what newearthling said above and add the following;

As adults we can discuss the behaviour of Ford, even the profane bits, without sinking to his level with personal attacks and "jokes" which are hostile to women (or anyone else). I have a hard time understanding how people can so easily identify material which is racist or homophobic, but still routinely write words or post jokes and photos that make women feel diminished and unwelcome. It's probably not intentional but it shows a certain lack of awareness which should by now be second-nature.

A bigger issue for me is how we treat one-another as members of a group with a common interest. Perhaps it's a generational thing, but I am not accustomed to being spoken to flippantly or disrespectfully by someone much younger than myself. That really offends me. It would be nice if people did not assume the worst of others, and wrote with a smidgen of respect - even when they disagree or if the person they are speaking to is dead wrong. We are all wrong sometimes. We all misremember or scramble info. It should not result in being called "ignorant" or "stupid". Hostility like this has no place in a discussion or debate.

I have already hidden a few people who I found to be rude or dismissive. I took a break over the weekend with the attitude that I probably wouldn't come back - until Ford was involved in yet another odd incident and I couldn't resist checking in. Perhaps nobody would have noticed that I was not logging in, but there are some very interesting people here who would be missed if they became disgusted enough to move on. Any forum is only as good as its participants. You can argue that it's your right to post stuff that offends other people, or debate in a way that offends, but in the end you'll be left with the loud, brash, argumentative and insulting individuals. They'll post nothing of substance, and crowd the pages with animated gifs and internet memes. Most forums suffer this fate when nobody speaks up and moderators don't moderate.

So - ask yourselves this; why are you here? For the cat lol photos and youtube film clips which are available almost everywhere else? Or for the sharing of ideas and theories on the subject of Ford's Toronto?

I am sure this wasn't a hacking. If it was, then the hacker would have done something far worse than a Krista Ford date.

Either they really did plan on having Krista go on a date (and then changed their mind), or someone legitimately linked to the site posted this. But even if the second scenario was the case, I would still think that if they were going to go "rogue", they would have done something much worse.

I'll bet you it was a real contest before someone complained that it was extremely odd for them to be treating their niece/daughter like chattel. The Fords have already called Tory sexist for saying women should learn to play golf; a comment which I thought was not all that impractical. I understood why he believes this to be true in his executive world.

Jesus, other than the Renata picture that was out of line in my opinion, who has recently been 'hostile to women'? Not me, not anyone else that I saw.

Christ, we've spent more time discussing the state of the forum than we have on jokes or frivolities. No one's even really being that "brash and hostile" as you describe it.

It's politics, it's Rob Ford, it's the Internet. You're going to get some noise with the signal, that's going to happen. It's not wrong or anything of the sort, it's just maybe not what you're used to. If you can't handle jokes on the Internet, maybe you need to log off.

So - ask yourselves this; why are you here?

I'm here to read people's opinions and share mine own if I can, but I'm not here to be told how to act and what to say, to be called names, or be labeled, especially by those who are feign superiority.

I have been censored by the mods, and it is their right, even if I disagree with them. However, members who deem themselves as mods, and dictate to others who they should be for the good of the whole, well, what can I say.

Toronto is a diverse city, and there are people here from all over Canada, and the rest of the world, and to impose your idea of "civilization" is in my opinion bigoted, at least to the wishes of the mods, if not towards everyone in this topic.

Being "crude" can be a tool of language to convey further meaning, just like other tools that exist, and have been used wildly in this topic. To judge someone on a phrase that they make in jest or to make a point (that does include satire and parody, and the popular sarcasm) is ultimately to judge ourselves for how we treat them.

Over the last few pages I have been labeled, and in one instance been called a pejorative buy those who deem themselves not crude. I was taught that calling names is a crude act.

I would prefer to allow the mods to say what to out of order.

That's as far I would care to go right now.

Last edited:
Could imply the mayor was smoking something unusual, could imply a maintenance problem with the HVAC at City Hall. Don't really know why people are so focused on it.

Maybe because the mayor is an admitted crack smoker who ditched his babysitter and a work event to go his office on a Saturday night between a hockey game where many onlookers reported he was wasted, and a nightclub full of twenty year olds?

It's politics, it's Rob Ford, it's the Internet. You're going to get some noise with the signal, that's going to happen. It's not wrong or anything of the sort, it's just maybe not what you're used to. If you can't handle jokes on the Internet, maybe you need to log off.

Mostly a lurker here but it seems everyone got all up in arms after the Renata joke was posted. Ford (very publicly) brought his wife's vagina into things, so I'd say the joke is fair game. If you didn't like it, don't laugh, scroll past, and don't bring any more attention to it. I don't find a lot of the memes on here all that funny, but I just scroll to the next post. What annoys me is the constant whining and moaning from everyone playing moderator because they personally don't like enjoy a joke or something. A stupid picture I can scroll past, but those novels where people complain I feel like I have to skim in hopes that there's a point or some new info (and there never is).

Anyway, can we just leave it to the mods to decide what's inappropriate and quit flooding the board with complaints about everyone's personal preferences? (And yes, I realize how hypocritical it is for me to complain about everyone's complaints lol)

Now isn't it about time for Ford to do something stupid? It's been like two days!

Quick question that may have been covered, but how is it Ford can do a camapign event at City Hall? Is this permitted? What are the options for the other candidates, or the electorate, to have him sanctioned in some way for this?

Mostly a lurker here but it seems everyone got all up in arms after the Renata joke was posted. Ford (very publicly) brought his wife's vagina into things, so I'd say the joke is fair game. If you didn't like it, don't laugh, scroll past, and don't bring any more attention to it. I don't find a lot of the memes on here all that funny, but I just scroll to the next post. What annoys me is the constant whining and moaning from everyone playing moderator because they personally don't like enjoy a joke or something. A stupid picture I can scroll past, but those novels where people complain I feel like I have to skim in hopes that there's a point or some new info (and there never is).

Anyway, can we just leave it to the mods to decide what's inappropriate and quit flooding the board with complaints about everyone's personal preferences? (And yes, I realize how hypocritical it is for me to complain about everyone's complaints lol)

Now isn't it about time for Ford to do something stupid? It's been like two days!
It hasn't been 2 days. It's been since yesterday when he brought Johnson and Tarasco on board. I'm still WTFing over that.

With regards to last night's speculation about a search warrant being carried out. An old pro told me that search warrants and arrests are almost always carried out just before dawn.

That is my understanding as well, having many friends in LE. Catch them off guard and likely in bed, with little time to react.

I don't count myself as a MetroMan skeptic, but I think he jumped the gun on his tweets last night. He knows people are hanging on his every word. I wish he would wait a little for confirmation of something concrete when it comes to things like "rumors are police are executing a search warrant" or similar inferences as opposed to trying to be the first horse out of the gate.

I think much of what he says has kernels of truth, however he does nothing but damage his own credibility with the kind of tweets I read last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back