News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
MM is still holding pretty strong...

@metroman
I *know* he will get arrested. To believe otherwise you must assume widespread police corruption. I'm not *that* cynical. they're after the bigger fish. I'm convinced that this will go down as the biggest political investigation in Canadian history.

I do think MM could have handled himself better. While he has always been pretty clear that what he writes is speculation/rumour, some of the wording of some of his tweets has been pounced upon by the ravening hordes, desperate for Ford news. He's clearly a bright guy, so he should have been able to put himself in the shoes of a member of said horde reading his tweets and word them a little more carefully. I remain grateful for the insight MM has offered, but like others, I pine for the days when his intel was solid, his messaging cautious and his reputation golden.

The "police cars on Edenbrook" incident was a good example: read as a whole, what he wrote was reasonable, but his incautious wording was way too easy to take out of context, especially given the medium of Twitter. Also, the Dan Brown/Tom Clancy lingo (e.g. "chatter") does sometimes swerve slightly south of sublime and hurtle towards the ridiculous.

That said, I find his harshest detractors equally frustrating. For instance, @PreAmalMan is sort-of funny, but slightly more boorish than funny. I'm sure you don't mind much what I think (hi, @PreAmanMan! I know you read this thread!) but there it is.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Definitely looks like him and I keep laughing at this line "He had a high-pitched squeaky voice -- especially when you hit him with a pool noodle."

Can't wait to see Doug blame this on the media party or the police chief or the fire chief or the chardonnay-swilling six-toed elites ... ha ha.

...That said, I find his harshest detractors equally frustrating. For instance, @PreAmalMan is sort-of funny, but slightly more boorish than funny. I'm sure you don't mind much what I think (hi, @PreAmanMan! I know you read this thread!) but there it is.

PreAmalMan can be funny, but I think he's blowing his franchise by talking too much. Dude needs to edit and only go with his best material. Mining ancient MM tweets gets tiresome and makes him look more like a garden-variety troll. Shame, because he can do some solid satire.

the biggest political investigation in Canadian history.
That little commission in Quebec is still going strong. Unless Rob Ford is tied directly to the dead body or the bumbling idiot leads us to an Ontario branch of the Quebec malfeasance our four terrible years aren't going to amount to a fraction of that.

Most of us expect that Rob Ford should be arrested or we wouldn't be hanging so obsessively on the story. If that happens it doesn't suddenly make all MM's predictions and speculation good. When Ford is done, our most meaningful inquiry might be into how the guy was able to crap all over the system with so little repercussion.

Last edited:
The "police cars on Edenbrook" incident was a good example: although read as a whole, what he wrote was reasonable, but his incautious wording was way too easy to take out of context, especially given the medium of Twitter. Also, the Dan Brown/Tom Clancy lingo (e.g. "chatter") does sometimes swerve slightly south of sublime and hurtle towards the ridiculous.

I was under the impression that someone else started that. yes, MM picked it up, but so did many others. And apparently there were police cars in the area, but not to pick up RoFo or search his house.

I was under the impression that someone else started that. yes, MM picked it up, but so did many others. And apparently there were police cars in the area, but not to pick up RoFo or search his house.

I wonder if he spends a lot of time checking his rear-view mirror?

Someone on Ford's block tweeted that there were cop cars outside his house. Other people retweeted it. Then MM started posting speculation. Goldsbie and Dale and the like remained silent, until Goldsbie tweeted to confirm that it was not Ford-related.

When Ford is done, our most meaningful inquiry might be into how the guy was able to crap all over the system with so little repercussion.

"They are saying, we would rather have a guy on crack, than a mayor who will raise our taxes. They are saying, we don't care if he drives his Escalade drunk through the city, we care that he wants to privatize garbage collection. They are saying, we will vote for a gerbil if we get a dollar back."

Rick Mercer

Someone on Ford's block tweeted that there were cop cars outside his house. Other people retweeted it. Then MM started posting speculation. Goldsbie and Dale and the like remained silent, until Goldsbie tweeted to confirm that it was not Ford-related.
I know, I hopped in my car and went out to confirm it myself! :p

"They are saying, we would rather have a guy on crack, than a mayor who will raise our taxes. They are saying, we don't care if he drives his Escalade drunk through the city, we care that he wants to privatize garbage collection. They are saying, we will vote for a gerbil if we get a dollar back."

Rick Mercer
Sad but true. Spoke to a person today who said she really hopes Ford gets in again. She says yes, he's done some things wrong, but no one is perfect (Grrrrrr!). And that he's done good things for the city. Not that she could tell me just what those good things are, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back