40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article is from last week.
When did Toronto get so cool?
By David G Allan
That’s why Toronto is cool: it has been for a long time, and since it doesn’t feel the need to advertise the fact, most of the world doesn’t even know. Canada in general is understated in this way; it’s not very Canadian to point out one’s own awesomeness. Toronto is so cool, it might not even know it is.
Written by someone who lives in Brooklyn, the article doesn't mention RoFo at all. But it got me to thinking of the long term effects of his legacy.
Fraud Nayshun have said that RF has helped tourism. But most people post from abroad that Toronto is being mocked all over the world.
Does the fact that we have had to endure global embarrassment increase our 'cool' factor? lol
Or will most people see our city the way we do, with a lot of challenges, and no one currently at the helm capable of steering safely to shore.

Last edited:
the lemur:

I think she is, ultimately speaking, cut from the same kind of cloth as his worship. For all the walk, what's her own bio anyways?

AoD

I have no real idea of her background, but a few things stand out:

Similar disparaging of 'elites' as with the Fords, but she seems to spend a good deal of time in Florida, just as they do.

She likes to lord over Shelley Carroll the fact that the latter has no university degree whereas SAL does (in what?) and therefore Carroll has no business being involved in a budget process, but I see no evidence that SAL has contributed to balancing anyone's budget.

I've given up trying to understand what motivates SAL to be such a cheerleader for Ford despite everything so far ... maybe a need for approval? It's a bit rich for her to talk about the effect his personal problems have had on his performance as mayor now, given that she's put so much effort into calling people 'bullies' for having the nerve to question his performance and actions precisely because of those personal problems.

I think SAL's issue is that she's a self-hating---well, everything: lesbian, woman, jew, journalist...Anything that one would think someone with her characteristics would be for, she needs to be against. It's really an odd pathology.

I think SAL's issue is that she's a self-hating---well, everything: lesbian, woman, jew, journalist...Anything that one would think someone with her characteristics would be for, she needs to be against. It's really an odd pathology.
She's also anti-union meanwhile I believe she's in a union herself.

I have no real idea of her background, but a few things stand out:

Similar disparaging of 'elites' as with the Fords, but she seems to spend a good deal of time in Florida, just as they do.

She likes to lord over Shelley Carroll the fact that the latter has no university degree whereas SAL does (in what?) and therefore Carroll has no business being involved in a budget process, but I see no evidence that SAL has contributed to balancing anyone's budget.

So what's her excuse for supporting Ford being in any way involved?

Seeing some demand for confirmation of Ford's rehab on twitter. No ethical facility would release client information and TMZ doesn't care about Ford so we'll have to wait for a grad with a social media account to spill the beans, if there are any.

This article is from last week.
When did Toronto get so cool?
By David G Allan

Written by someone who lives in Brooklyn, the article doesn't mention RoFo at all. But it got me to thinking of the long term effects of his legacy.
Fraud Nayshun have said that RF has helped tourism. But most people post from abroad that Toronto is being mocked all over the world.
Does the fact that we have had to endure global embarrassment increase our 'cool' factor? lol
Or will most people see our city the way we do, with a lot of challenges, and no one currently at the helm capable of steering safely to shore.

If Toronto has become cool it's been in spite of Ford. It may be the first thing people think of when you're out of town and you tell them you're from Toronto, but if you can get past that they might see there's more to your city than that one guy.

Had a conversation with a cabbie in Chicago a while back - he was of the 'all politicians are crooks on some level' school and while he had some idea of what The Problem with Rob was, he was pretty surprised at how corrupt and dishonest Ford really was when I told him.

I'm not sure she hates everything that she herself is. Maybe she'd rather be something other than a journalist, since she seems to have such insight into how other people aren't doing their own jobs the right way. She makes no apologies for being a lesbian and calls out homophobia, but then she never misses an opportunity to denigrate the LGBT community for not sharing her politics. She also doesn't seem to understand or acknowledge the difference between criticism of Israel, in any form, and straight-up anti-semitism. So I don't think she hates any aspect of her own identity, but it probably frustrates her that one or another of them either connects her to a community she wants no part of (Jewish lefties, queer lefties, Jews critical of Israel, etc.) and one or all of them prevents her from truly becoming an accepted member of the one she wants to be part of: the conservative boys' club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back