News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole thing has given me a new perspective on life in the suburbs. I have never lived in one. I only know people who grew up in one and then escaped to the city because they hated it. But I have talked to cab drivers here in TO who all seem to like living in Mississauga because it is quiet.

There is one woman on twitter who has been trying to single-handedly defend DoFo and the residents'. She said the 'lefty media' lied about the situation and there were actually 30-50 year olds with mental health issues living in the house. lol She had no proof to back up her claims.

She also said that 'those kinds of people' belong downtown, and not in the suburbs. And that is what I didn't know before: that some people who live in the suburbs think downtown is for all the crazies.

Oh god, that woman.

First they claimed the group home was there because of downtowners trying to force their problems on the suburbs. Then when it was pointed out that the kids were from the area, it became 'Uh, well, downtown is better for them 'cause it's more stimulating. There's nothing to do out here'.

I'm no expert, but I imagine autistic kids have an easier time in the environment they're used to.

I recall Blair saying that but it's the first time I've seen either her or Giroux working on something other than Brazen in a long time. Maybe the chief was trying to downplay the scale of the investigation when he made that comment. Or maybe Schertzer has been quietly active on other files all along. May or may not be a significant sign.

IIRC Giroux emphasized a few times that Brazen 2 wasn't exclusive to his case load, and they were working on several cases at once. Do you have it on good authority this is the first homicide Schertzer has worked on in a while? Or maybe they're slowly but surely walking away while keeping up appearances to people like Doolittle.

I see nothing in Doug's autism comments that aren't par for the course for these guys. It's how they always would have responded to an issue like this. Don't credit conspiracy where something can be explained by simple stupidity.

Well, sure. As I said, I do think it's his genuine opinion, so this is indeed really nothing more than Doug being Doug. Nevertheless, he's been missing in action as a councillor for weeks now, if not months, so it's noteworthy that he'd resurface in such a spectacular fashion, especially for something like this. I found it to be less suspicious than very, very telling. No conspiracy here; just a moment when his ugly nature happens to be in alignment with his pandering.

But again--what's what appears to be this "base"? Judging from tweets posted a few pages ago, it sounds like same-old same-old meddlesome locals--almost the sort who'd harass young families of colour moving in because their kids might turn out to be gangbangers...

The Fords' base would traditionally encompass the usual, older white right wing demographic, like those bastards at the lynch rally, er, meeting (heh) who were frothing at the dentures in thier eagerness to beat up on some autistic kids. The sort of people who seriously read the Toronto Sun for its politcal perspective. Straight-up brute tribalism, in other words. I mean, obviously, right? But these are strange times, politically speaking, and the Fords have managed to outreach into communities that you'd think would want to have nothing to do with them. There are all sorts of reasons for that, which I really don't have the patience to go into here, but the bottom line is that the Fords are small-minded in a way that these people approve of, so much so that they're willing to whitewash or downplay the less appetizing aspects of our little band of homegrown white trash Crackhouse Kennedys. Sigh.

Oh god, that woman.

First they claimed the group home was there because of downtowners trying to force their problems on the suburbs. Then when it was pointed out that the kids were from the area, it became 'Uh, well, downtown is better for them 'cause it's more stimulating. There's nothing to do out here'.

I'm no expert, but I imagine autistic kids have an easier time in the environment they're used to.

I've known several autistic youth and 2 things are notable: 1) they do like consistency and find change difficult; 2) they can be easily over stimulated which in turn causes anger or frustration. Their ability to integrate depends where they are on the spectrum, from high functioning to severely autistic. High functioning still will exhibit the same 2 characteristics of adversity to change and stimuli but to a lesser degree. Odds are these are not high functioning kids or they would likely be in their own family home.

Last edited:
Foulidis appeal has begun at Osgoode Hall. Goldsbie on site. Hotmail lawyer is in the stands observing.

Appeal of the Ford - Foulidis defamation case in court today. Jonathon Goldsbie, Shawn Jeffords from the Sun and Jennifer Pagliaro of the Star are tweeting the proceedings.

Anyone who complains about living near mental health patients deserves a bout of schizophrenia. Might make them realise how easy they actually have it.

I can't even believe this is an issue.

Hello?
Oh, hi, this is the 19th century calling. We'd like our issues back. Thanks.

FFS

I wouldn't wish any kind of mental illness on anyone, but yeah. I have a relative who has been living with schizophrenia for many years and it is definitely easier to deal with by integrating the patient into the larger community instead of shutting them up somewhere.

Also, I imagine a lot of these complainers actually already were living near people with mental health issues, without realizing it.

Oh god, that woman.

This reminds me of the time when I was working in the shelter system in Toronto. Mel Lastman was then mayor of North York, and fought mightily against the idea of shelters for homeless people being built there. He famously said "there are no homeless people in North York". To which we replied that that was because they were not welcomed or served in any way. To challenge his statement, we spent a couple of months tracking the communities our clients called home. Needless to say, there were a significant number of people from North York. :p

If Doug really wants to help his constituents and their alleged drop in property values ... ok I can't even finish that sentence without twitching. If a councillor wanted to help constituents who perceive that the presence of a small number of youth with autism, in a 24/7-staffed supportive residence, is potentially lowering their property values, their best bet is to actively, enthusiastically, support and strengthen initiatives that educate and reduce stigma around mental health challenges.

Also, I imagine a lot of these complainers actually already were living near people with mental health issues, without realizing it.

This.

You never know when your quiet, unassuming neighbour of 20 years will suddenly jump in his car with a loaded weapon and race off to the local children's hospital, threatening to shoot someone. (And no, I didn't make that up.)

I wouldn't wish any kind of mental illness on anyone, but yeah. I have a relative who has been living with schizophrenia for many years and it is definitely easier to deal with by integrating the patient into the larger community instead of shutting them up somewhere.

That's true. There's one just around the corner from us, I always just thought it was a small apartment block, and had seen a wheeltrans bus outside there a couple of times, but apparently after some guy got killed in a car accident a while back, the press were talking about how the apartments were for people with various disabilities, mental and physical. I'm pretty sure that many others around here didn't know either, and were absolutely fine with their neighbours. Having said that, I haven't seen anything from locals complaining about the place since it was in the news either, so maybe we're just a better class of people here than the ones in Etobicoke. :D

That's true. There's one just around the corner from us, I always just thought it was a small apartment block, and had seen a wheeltrans bus outside there a couple of times, but apparently after some guy got killed in a car accident a while back, the press were talking about how the apartments were for people with various disabilities, mental and physical. I'm pretty sure that many others around here didn't know either, and were absolutely fine with their neighbours. Having said that, I haven't seen anything from locals complaining about the place since it was in the news either, so maybe we're just a better class of people here than the ones in Etobicoke. :D

Etobicoke is large and diverse. Most of us are nothing like the Fords and Lisis and Bassos of the world.

Shh.... don't tell anyone but Caritas had two houses right around there for years and years. TWO houses. With 7 or 8, fully adult and usually pissed off (since they were at Caritas) addicts.

If Doug really wants to help his constituents and their alleged drop in property values ... ok I can't even finish that sentence without twitching.

I bet what really detracts from living in a given neighbourhood, albeit perhaps not financially, is living among a bunch of whiny alarmist NIMBY pinheads who don't even know exactly what they're getting worked up about.

By any chance is this off Keele?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back