8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 9000

see the paper handles attached to the bag ...

Oh hi genius! So glad you had an input in this!

Enough comparing Whole Foods to every other regular grocery store (Rabba, Metro, No Frills) in the city. You pay a premium for every item you buy at WF, part of that goes into offering you a somewhat decent receptacle for your purchases.

I guarantee that the paper bags your regular grocery stores will provide will be similar to this:

1244303943grocery_bag.jpg

Good luck walking out of the store with two of those.

If there is any proof the "taxpayers" of Toronto he so adamantly fought for was a figment of his imagination, this is it. I can seriously imagine him deadbolting himself into the mayor's office indefinitely following a 2014 defeat.

That said, I am a bit split on this plastic bag decision but I am also highly amused at the way it went down. I do think that it should be amended in the coming months to permit biodegradable bags - if not, then that's still fine.

Remember back in the day those shopping bag dispensers at Eaton's and Sears? Plastic bags were free but you could walk to the bag dispenser and buy a larger paper shopping bag for 5 cents and later on in the 90s it went up to 25 cents. My mom use to always buy her paper bags for clothing at Eaton's

I can't recall ever seeing groceries bagged like that. And I got paid to do it in paper bags back in the day.

It was more about the bag than the groceries themselves. Those bags are bulky and don't have handles - so you have to hug them. God forbid you have two of those to carry.

I use reusable bags every time I go to do planned groceries. If I realize I need this and that on my way home, I guess I can start stuffing meat and vegetables in my briefcase then..

It was more about the bag than the groceries themselves. Those bags are bulky and don't have handles - so you have to hug them. God forbid you have two of those to carry.

I use reusable bags every time I go to do planned groceries. If I realize I need this and that on my way home, I guess I can start stuffing meat and vegetables in my briefcase then..

What about keeping a reusable bag in your briefcase in case you need to make an unplanned trip?

Some food for thought:

From personal experience, I've noticed that a good number of Chinese supermarkets and food establishments in Toronto didn't bother going with the 5 cents fee, and knowing how greasy takeout dishes can get, plastic bags are commonplace for catching leaking sauce and oils. I'd bet it's very likely they won't abandon white plastic bags anytime soon past January 2013. After all, they still use styrofoam containers in copious amounts for takeout and butcher shops.

I'm curious, do you guys really shop at Whole Foods? I never do, and I've been out of university and gainfully employed with a well-paying job for many, many years now. Whole Foods is a complete ripoff IMO. Same usually goes for Pusateri's and Mc Ewen's, although I've been there rarely.

From personal experience, I've noticed that a good number of Chinese supermarkets and food establishments in Toronto didn't bother going with the 5 cents fee, and knowing how greasy takeout dishes can get, plastic bags are commonplace for catching leaking sauce and oils. I'd bet it's very likely they won't abandon white plastic bags anytime soon past January 2013. After all, they still use styrofoam containers in copious amounts for takeout and butcher shops.
Yep probably, but it depends upon if the city ever decided to enforce this. I've also seen a large number of small Chinese shops that do indeed charge for the bags.

Given the amount of clearly black market goods you see at small local establishments, it's probably a pretty safe bet.
Chinese grocery stores generally don't sell black market goods. People don't pick up bootleg DVDs at the same place they buy their tofu and chinese sausage. Speaking of which... Those plastic bags should be mandatory if you buy certain types of Chinese tofu (meaning some of the better ones). Same goes with getting a BBQ chicken from Loblaws.

Last edited:
And spite. Ford courted the "spite vote" during the election. Now he's reaping the reward of spite in return.

Funny that Ford says people should know more about the people they're voting for before they vote.. I mean it's ignorance and stupidity among voters that got him elected in the first place. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

I'm curious, do you guys really shop at Whole Foods? I never do, and I've been out of university and gainfully employed with a well-paying job for many, many years now. Whole Foods is a complete ripoff IMO. Same usually goes for Pusateri's and Mc Ewen's, although I've been there rarely..

shopped there a few times but not much value there ... you can identical items for much cheaper at other locations.

i used the WF paper bag image as a representation ... there are other paper bags with handles being used by other retailers.

hell, every developer is giving away free reusable bags as part of their marketing.
i wouldn't have to buy another one if i don't choose to, just go to the closest presentation centre. :p

Rob Ford says:

“It’s the people’s fault. Honestly, sometimes I get so frustrated because the people are just sitting back listening but they don’t pick up the phones, they don’t go down to City Hall, they don’t ask questions. It’s frustrating. I want them to get engaged in municipal politics and find out who their councillor is and know how they vote.”

yet he dissolves the citizen committees, saying it should be up to council itself to make the decisions. So council itself made up its own decision on bags, but now he wants citizens to be engaged in politics.

Backtracking on your decision to dissolve the citizen committees?

What about keeping a reusable bag in your briefcase in case you need to make an unplanned trip?

This is less about the usability of paper bags and more about the fact that people just don't want to break out of their usual habits and entitlements.

Anyways, Ford burning some more bridges:

Toronto plastic bag ban is 'people's fault,' says Ford
CBC News Posted: Jun 7, 2012 1:11 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 7, 2012 1:14 PM ET

Populist Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says the city's taxpayers are to blame for a council vote to ban plastic bags next year.

“It’s the people’s fault. Honestly, sometimes I get so frustrated because the people are just sitting back listening. They don’t pick up the phone, they don’t go down to city hall, they don’t ask questions, they just ... it’s frustrating," Ford said in a Thursday morning interview with AM 640 host John Oakley.

"I want people to get engaged in municipal politics, and find out who their councillor is and know how they vote.â€

The mayor's comments come after his move on Wednesday to get rid of a five-cent plastic bag fee that the city has compelled retailers to charge customers. While Ford succeeded in getting that fee scrapped starting in July, his plan backfired after council voted 24-20 in favour of a separate surprise motion to ban bags outright starting in 2013.

The motion, moved by Coun. David Shiner, a member of Ford's own executive committee, says retail stores can't provide customers with "single-use plastic carry-out [shopping] bags, including those advertised as compostable, biodegradable, photodegradable or similar effective Jan. 1, 2013."

Ford called the bag ban "ludicrous," and said he believes the city will be hit with legal challenges over the ban.

The vote would have negative political consequences for councillors who supported the ban, Ford said.

"The campaign's already started for the next election, Johnny. You know, we have to get rid of some of these councillors." The municipal election is more than two years away.

He also urged citizens to make their voices heard at city hall.

"If there was a couple hundred thousand people down at Nathan Phillips Square saying they want plastic bags back, yes, then the councillors will listen,†said Ford, who has positioned himself as a champion of small government and low taxes.

"It’s up to the taxpayers. They have to be more engaged and they’re just not. It’s frustrating when stuff like this happens.â€

Sharp words for allies

The motion to ban the plastic bags caught many city hall observers by surprise because it came from Shiner, a member of Ford's inner circle.

Shiner said in an interview with CBC's Metro Morning on Thursday that the idea of the outright ban came to him in the midst of the debate over the five-cent fee.

The north Toronto councillor said he supported the mayor's idea of getting rid of what he called the "nickel tax."

"But the bigger issue is what's happening with 250 million bags that still end up in our landfill every year. Because people think, 'Oh, I take it, I reuse it, and something will happen to it.' But that plastic never breaks down and it stays plastic forever."

Ford had sharp words for Shiner and two other members of his executive committee who voted for the ban, Coun. Michelle Berardinetti and Coun. Jaye Robinson.

"Berardinetti and Shiner, I feel sorry for them at election time," he said.

Shiner, Berardinetti and Robinson are "people who are supposed to be in the middle of the road — obviously they're very far left," Ford said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/06/07/ford-plastic-bag-ban385.html

I don't suppose he remembers the all night deputations last year? I suppose it doesn't count because everyone who showed up were either unionists or freeloaders. And good luck getting the votes of Shiner, Berardinetti and Robinson.

Gee Mayor Ford, that's a really brilliant tactic to blame it on "the people". And hey, I phone you and email you, but you never answer. Is it because I ride a bike? Or because I support some kind of control on plastic bags? I must be very far left :)

From Wikipedia:

David Shiner may refer to:

David Shiner (clown) (born 1953), American clown
David Shiner (politician), Canadian politician

After yesterday's vote, the two pages should be merged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back