News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a very serious note though, I hope there is law enforcement nearby because I can see this non campaign event turning into a brawl with Ford Nation.

I wonder if the cost of the extra Police Officers and Paramedics called in on overtime or Paid Duty for the rally will be paid by FoFam, or the City Treasurer?

Last edited:
it would be hilarious if there were a flash mob of peeps dressed as bylaw officers.

Given that they would be breaking the law and would be surrounded by people who would love to inform the real police, this might not be a good idea (imo).

Ford supporters are angry and violent people though. Just look at Iola Fortino.

Well absolutely. I think this is a case of "give 'em more rope", sickening as the whole spectacle is. I just visited the IHTWORF Facebook site, and I also sampled some of Iola Fortino's tweets. Gads they're all such sick puppies. Better for the public at large to witness this, at this time, imho.

I like Presto’s idea of adapting the “non-confidence vote”, or some kind of stronger peer censure than what we’ve already got. Shouldn’t the mayor have some kind of responsibility to his/her peers on council? In its absence, it enables guys like Ford and Mammo.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the lateness. For some reason the thread went 404 for awhile.

Council effectively exercised a form of 'non-confidence' when demoting Ford to MINO. That effectively neutered his greatest influence: committee appointmments (ETA: As noted in another post). Agreed that he should be responsible to council but, unfortunately, that's really up to the province. Personally, I never supported the move to 'Strong mayor' as advocated by Miller. Thank jeebus that pig didn't fly. I wouldn't support a recall mechanism either, because that sword cuts both ways and would more likely than not get partisan real quick.

Unfortunately, the theory is that the mayor's position exists to use the authority vested in the 'voice of the whole city' to broker consensus. Which is, well, not really this mayor's forte. In stripping him of real authority, council did the best they could with a limited quiver. That, for better, bad or worse, is probably as it should be.

"At #FordFest tonight both red and purple Kool Aid will be available. Keep the kids away from the purple. Let's leave it at that"
https://twitter.com/80sDougFord/status/492705181373857794

"Looking forward to mingling with peons at #FordFest but one of our top reporters has some sound advice."
https://twitter.com/TOMayorFrod/status/352785218085728257/photo/1

"Notice to those attending #FordFest from #Etobicoke: Buses will leave 15 Winsdor Road at 3:00 3:15 & 3:30 in case of conjestiun"
https://twitter.com/OleMaFord/status/492705550761619456

Last edited:
There will be an LGBTQ+ demonstration at Ford Fest.

~~~

https://twitter.com/hashtag/fordfestqueeruption?src=hash

https://www.facebook.com/events/711603208875760

Rob Ford has sneered in the face of LGBTQ+ communities in Toronto from his position against Pride to his homophobic remarks caught on tape. His latest act of hostility was casting the single vote on City Council against a report looking into opening a shelter for LGBTQ homeless populations.

This is not gaff of a buffonic personality with international celebrity. This homophobic position is held by someone with the power to deny LGBTQ people their BASIC NEEDS.

Let's counter Rob Ford's hate of LGBTQ communities with a demonstration of love!

Let's crash this party.

Friday, July 25
7pm-8pm
Thomson Memorial Park
1005 Brimely Park
Scarborough, Ontario

~~~

Here is a song you can share with the brothers and sisters, and maybe even bring along to the party.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yEYfVgdVaNU

Ford supporters are angry and violent people though. Just look at Iola Fortino.

Not all of them are, and I think that should not be underestimated. Wingnuts are gonna wingnuts no matter what. But look at some of the people that Fofam targets. New Canadians\immigrants. Marginalized communities. blue collar, and suburban folksy folks. I'm an immigrant, I live in Scarborough. I've worked blue collar jobs. I don't know all the founders and history of Scarborough either. :p And I've never supported Rofo because I've seen his type of demagogue before.

But I can guess who Rofo is targeting with his dog whistle, and not all of them will show up at a rally. But they may still vote for him if nothing else to give a big fat F.U. to a perceived elite who disrespects and ignores them for far too long. Rofo may not be book smart, but his instinct for making the political personal, and playing the division game is still strong. I think and I hope the people that Rofo targets realizes that Rofo was never on their side. But again, I still wouldn't rule him out completely. Stupid is as stupid does, yet Rofo is still MINO. Even with that mostly ceremonial power, he's still able to stir up a crapfest.

So according to posts on Twitter re FordFest, political speeches are not under the jurisdiction of city by-law officers, and they are not there to "monitor the mayor". And guess what the fine is for breaking the rules? A whopping $200.

And guess what the fine is for breaking the rules? A whopping $200.

That's less than the Stoop and Scoop ticket.

"Rob Ford really didn't need to waste money on those robocalls. CP24 is doing a day-long commercial for #FordFest."
https://twitter.com/whitexdiamond/status/492711541020438528

"People have already begun arriving at Thomson Memorial Park for #fordfest."
View attachment 30447
View attachment 30448

"Cook says bylaw officers strictly watching for campaign signs, pamphlets handed out at Ford Fest. Political speeches not their jurisdiction"

"City says Rob Ford can also hand out business cards & magnets at Ford Fest"

Last edited:
Sorry for the lateness. For some reason the thread went 404 for awhile.

Council effectively exercised a form of 'non-confidence' when demoting Ford to MINO. That effectively neutered his greatest influence: committee appointmments (ETA: As noted in another post). Agreed that he should be responsible to council but, unfortunately, that's really up to the province. Personally, I never supported the move to 'Strong mayor' as advocated by Miller. Thank jeebus that pig didn't fly. I wouldn't support a recall mechanism either, because that sword cuts both ways and would more likely than not get partisan real quick.

Unfortunately, the theory is that the mayor's position exists to use the authority vested in the 'voice of the whole city' to broker consensus. Which is, well, not really this mayor's forte. In stripping him of real authority, council did the best they could with a limited quiver. That, for better, bad or worse, is probably as it should be.

Agreed. As per my previous on this, I understand the reasons why it is structured as it is, and even support them. However - in some cases, it just seems as though the available courses of action aren't enough, doesn't it?

Seems as though there should be something built into the 'rules' to effectively sideline an acting Mayor under specific circumstances, e.g., one who is the subject of a criminal investigation (like being placed on administrative leave/desk duties for the duration, as Police are) or who is "unable/unfit to complete his/her duties" (due to medical condition, etc) as pertains in the executive for many service clubs, etc.

Who deems a person 'unfit' and how to keep such a mechanism from being used as a political tactic is problematic, I do see that.

man-eavsdropping.jpg

Ha. Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back