News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't think enough households in Toronto have landlines to make a landline-only poll viable anymore. I can't generalize a whole city based on my experience, but it's notable that I only know one person under 40 in my extended social network who has a landline. And they're going to give it up when they move into their new condo next month.

Who are these people? Downtown, progressive, politically engaged voters who will never ever vote for Ford and will never ever be canvassed by Forum.

I think that is that point of landline polls...if you take a look at Statcan voter allocation matrix (Table 3) you'll notice the designating references are age 45-54, female, married, home owner, high school gradute, Canadian citizen....that description pretty much fits a landline owner down to a tee.....

I think that is that point of landline polls...if you take a look at Statcan voter allocation matrix (Table 3) you'll notice the designating references are age 45-54, female, married, home owner, high school gradute, Canadian citizen....that description pretty much fits a landline owner down to a tee.....

This is a mathy way of explaining the issue with polls and landlines.

http://www.seanmathmodelguy.com/?p=1238

Gee, Robbie is using a ghost writer again.

Eglinton fight not over
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/08/eglinton-connects-a-250m-traffic-nightmare

It's amazing, pathetic actually, that Robbie is falling back on transit since he has failed with his other parts of his "platform". Maybe he should have people in his staff the can handle maths, or even reading on a grade school level.

What is more pathetic is main stream press fighting to put all this nonsense on the front page! Most of them have become stenographers rather than journalists.

What is more pathetic is main stream press fighting to put all this nonsense on the front page! Most of them have become stenographers rather than journalists.

Agreed. It's a fine line these day between reporting news and "creating" the news.

We finally bit the bullet and cut the landline. It was cathartic. Next up, the car!:)

We are "old fashioned" and still have a land line. However, I don't talk on the phone a lot, so my wife uses it the most. These polling calls are getting annoying.

Some of the numbers are interesting though I remain very skeptical of Forum. In a three way race this election is taking on the appearance of 2010, with Tory and Chow in the Smitherman and Pantalone roles. If the race remains this close, but Tory retains his significant lead over Chow, will Chow do the honourable thing and bow out? (Something that Pantalone should have done)

The Forum Poll suggests 2 trends:
1. Ford's support appears to stagnant in the low-to-mid-20's. All his secondary numbers are still decisively negative.

2. Chow's support appears to be falling and Tory is the beneficiary. Not sure how far apart they really are b/c Forum polls landlines exclusively. However, all the campaign teams knew about this trend weeks ago, which is why all the candidates hammered away at Tory's policy positions at the East York debate.

Problem is we're really suffering from a lack of data. So far, we've had all the Forum surveys, plus one-offs from Nanos and Dimitri Pantazopoulos. That's not enough. I suspect we'll get a clearer picture after Labour Day when everyone's back from vacation and more voters start to engage in the race, plus some polling heavyweights like Ekos, Ipsos, Abacus etc. get into the field regularly. But I imagine privately both the Ford and Chow camps are somewhat worried about what they're seeing.

Ford's numbers - for a highly-visible, well-known incumbent running for re-election - are seriously bad. Factor in the highly-publicized return from rehab and they look even worse. Silverstein was hoping it would provide a bounce in the polls by getting some of Ford's moderate supporters back from Tory. However, all the rehab stint seemed to do is stop his base from shrinking, not grow it. Will it provide a boost in the coming weeks? Maybe, if Ford can convince these softer conservatives his recovery is real and there's no relapse. But right now, at least, that doesn't appear to be happening.

Chow's challenge is altogether different. It's not clear what has hurt her, but the Forum Poll suggests she's losing the support of women voters, some of whom are now backing Tory. Why is this? Forum provides no further data to answer that question. But the downward trend is also reflected in the Nanos and Pantazopoulos polls earlier, so it appears to be a real issue for her. Losing the mantle of front-runner in the race and thus the oft-repeated line that she's the "only candidate who can beat Ford" is also potentially damaging, because it appears she's no longer the first choice of so-called "strategic voters" whose main motivation in getting out to vote is to defeat the Fords.

Again, we have to mention all the caveats. Not a lot of polling data. It's the height of summer. Forum polls only landlines. The Toronto electorate is notoriously volatile. But even with all that caution we can PROBABLY say: 1. Chow's support is falling. 2. Most voters have made their minds up already about the mayor, and what they've decided about him doesn't bode well for him on October 27th.

Another bizarre "presser" on transit...

JProskowGlobal 12:38pm via TweetDeck
"I know what Rob Ford's doing" says Rob Ford.

CP24 12:35pm via TweetDeck
Ford is renewing calls for the entire Eglinton Crosstown to be buried.

GraphicMatt 12:36pm via Echofon
As is his wont these days, Ford promises at least $20B in subway construction like it ain't no thing. Sheppard, Finch, Eglinton, DRL.

CP24 12:39pm via TweetDeck
"The premier has to deal with me when I get re-elected," Ford says. "I'm not quite sure how she's going to ignore me."

Last edited:
CP24 ‏@CP24 40s
"The premier has to deal with me when I get re-elected," Ford says. "I'm not quite sure how she's going to ignore me."

Another bizarre "presser" on transit...

JProskowGlobal 12:38pm via TweetDeck
"I know what Rob Ford's doing" says Rob Ford.

Wait, does that mean he himself is not Rob Ford and Rob Ford is actually someone else?

:confused:

#respectforgrammaticalperson

Rob Ford is going to send Rob Ford to Queen's Park with a message from Rob Ford that Kathleen Wynne better not ignore all three Rob Fords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back