8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 7m
Indications that Stintz is on the verge of a deal with Tory for the Speaker's chair. Right @NickKouvalis? #TOpoli
1:07 AM - 9 Aug 2014 ·

I don't see why Tory would do so at this point in time. Why not just let her fade away? Her 4% is not packing a lot of bargaining power.

Is it some sort of rule that the Speaker's chair goes to the person with the most annoying voice? Kind of cruelly ironic, if you ask me.

This may turn out to be money well spent.

"City paid $4,500 to fix politician's 'shrill' voice
Criticized for talking too fast and sounding "shrill" during city hall meetings, Councillor Karen Stintz decided she needed to do something about it."
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/03/24/city_paid_4500_to_fix_politicians_shrill_voice.html

let me just say that the more i learn about stintz, the less i like her - she seems like the worst kind of hack opportunist. opportunism on its own i can handle, but sadly, on top of that she doesn't even seem to be a particularly good political operator. i've said it before: in showing us her A game, stintz has shown that she doesn't deserve the job.

Metroman was also convinced that Stintz had chosen to forgo her own campaign to help Chow with hers.

I remember hearing a theorey once that Stintz tried to strike a deal with front runner Chow (at the time) to be on the TTC board. And that she is doing everything she can to get her name out there is preparation for the 2018 mayoral race. What a bloody opportunist.

Yeah but love divides, and hate unites. Not everyone can love, but everyone can sure hate, whether it's hating the gravy train, downtown latte sippers, gay autistic cyclists. So Rodofo is a great uniter of people in that sense. He really is like a white MLK if you think about it. Just because Rofo's dream is a nightmare to other people, well that's just because they're probably racist or something.

Some years ago, I read a brief autobiographical piece written by the London-based screenwriter and novelist Hanif Kureishi that talked about his family roots - they emiragted to the UK from Pakistan/Southern India - and in particular, their attitude towards some of the less welcoming elements within the new society they found themselves living in. This was Britian in the 70's and 80's, with openly fascist, virulently racist groups like the National Front dealing out violence of the kind we've rarely seen in Canada. And how did Kureishi's family cope with the knowledge that there was a homegrown political movement in their new country devoted to their extermination? Why, by rationalizing, of course; by fantasizing; by bullshitting themselves. They came from money and were thus inclined towards conservative values anyway (some of they were steadfast homophobes, for one thing), and so they conned themselves into believing that the nazis, skinheads and far right nationalists weren't against them, per se. No, they were only opposed to the "lazy" Asian immigrants, the ones who "didn't want to work." The ones who weren't wealthy, in short.

In just such a way does the self-involved, self-justifying mind twist obvious facts to suit what it wants to believe, whether out of desperation or fear or greed...or just plain spite. It's the latter that really seems to animate much of Ford's moron fanbase.

Originally Posted by Yaitsme

How is it safe to have that farging icehole roaming TOTD - going into stores and mobs following? Ew it's like we're mercans. Sorry.
I just want you to know, that on this great vast thread, your Johnny Dangerously references did not go unnoticed. Kudos, sir.

Haha - cork-soaking bastages! Toronto elected Rob Ford mayor once. ONCE!:D

Dirty son-a-ma-batches!

I remember hearing a theorey once that Stintz tried to strike a deal with front runner Chow (at the time) to be on the TTC board. And that she is doing everything she can to get her name out there is preparation for the 2018 mayoral race. What a bloody opportunist.

Salsa - remember Stintz entered politics. It was opportunism at its best - she answered a rate payer group ad in the North Toronto Post because the local ratepayer group turned on then Councillor Anne Johnston. Stintz has always been opportunism defined. She is literally trying to pull the sunflowers over our eyes... I don't necessarily agree with Olivia Chow or John Tory on every policy - however, I do get the feeling that they have their hearts in the right places 90% of the time and I respect that. Stintz is no better than Ford IMO.

Some years ago, I read a brief autobiographical piece written by the London-based screenwriter and novelist Hanif Kureishi that talked about his family roots - they emiragted to the UK from Pakistan/Southern India - and in particular, their attitude towards some of the less welcoming elements within the new society they found themselves living in. This was Britian in the 70's and 80's, with openly fascist, virulently racist groups like the National Front dealing out violence of the kind we've rarely seen in Canada. And how did Kureishi's family cope with the knowledge that there was a homegrown political movement in their new country devoted to their extermination? Why, by rationalizing, of course; by fantasizing; by bullshitting themselves. They came from money and were thus inclined towards conservative values anyway (some of they were steadfast homophobes, for one thing), and so they conned themselves into believing that the nazis, skinheads and far right nationalists weren't against them, per se. No, they were only opposed to the "lazy" Asian immigrants, the ones who "didn't want to work." The ones who weren't wealthy, in short.

In just such a way does the self-involved, self-justifying mind twist obvious facts to suit what it wants to believe, whether out of desperation or fear or greed...or just plain spite. It's the latter that really seems to animate much of Ford's moron fanbase.

Sounds like an interesting read, and may shed light and start more genuine discussions about 'on the ground' reality of what it really means to be a multi-cultural society. I should maybe clarify just in case, that I was referring to criticism of RoDoFo as being racist, tongue in cheek like. GeekGirl got the reference right with the whole 'racist against apples' thing.

Salsa - remember Stintz entered politics. It was opportunism at its best - she answered a rate payer group ad in the North Toronto Post because the local ratepayer group turned on then Councillor Anne Johnston. Stintz has always been opportunism defined. She is literally trying to pull the sunflowers over our eyes... I don't necessarily agree with Olivia Chow or John Tory on every policy - however, I do get the feeling that they have their hearts in the right places 90% of the time and I respect that. Stintz is no better than Ford IMO.

Well, according to that Brett Ruffell interview from a few years ago, Rob Ford claims that he recruited Stintz. Which may come as a shock to many people, including Stintz.

http://www.brettruffell.com/my-interview-with-then-mayoral-hopeful-rob-ford/

Odds are this election will be won by a margin of less than 4%. If/When Stintz and Soknacki fall off at the end, Chow and Tory will need to fight for >50% of the freed-up votes. Tory has a higher approval rating and 2nd vote preference so they are his to lose.

I firmly believe too early to call - apparently Miller's and Nenshi's #'s, at this point, low - I think dark horse might take it..Sock, or the guy I want to vote for, Ari...I think the plot will thicken

Well, according to that Brett Ruffell interview from a few years ago, Rob Ford claims that he recruited Stintz. Which may come as a shock to many people, including Stintz.

http://www.brettruffell.com/my-interview-with-then-mayoral-hopeful-rob-ford/

At this point it's just easier to list the things Rob claims he has -not- done. He claims he hasn't done any hezza, he claims he hasn't dranken or smoken after rehab but no promises, he claims he has not taken a single dime from the taxpayers. To date he hasn't talked to TPS or OPP, because the Ford's ain't stoolies. Anything else?

D. @MDudishe
Just to prove a point, I took a picture with Rob Ford & ain't voting for him! #TOpoli pic.twitter.com/i8jnGsCNsy

A selfie doesn't equal a vote. This is often forgotten...

A good cautionary tale along the lines of “First they came …†.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back