News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah, it's the same old "he COULD win!" that's been in the air since at least Doolittle's book came out, and probably before. I'm sticking with my sub-20% prediction in the poll. (And I will say that on the off-chance he somehow comes out ahead in a 3-way race with Chow and Tory that, more than Ford, that would say some very scary things about our electoral system and the maturity, political and otherwise, of the people living here. But it won't happen!)

There are callow and stupid and ignorant and amoral people who will vote for this guy. 2/3 of the city's residents absolutely will not. Yeah, it matters who comes out to vote etc. but I put no stock in these polls. I don't know the last time I saw a poll nail anything significant, including the recent provincial election, the Ford election, the last federal election, Obama's re-election...

Ford Nation won't budge but everyone else is done. Anyone dumb enough to be duped by his reform act was always in Ford Nation anyway. Anyone paying attention saw him lose a pointless vote on the Raptors facility the other day that proved that even if he was improbably re-elected, he'd have no sway over council. Oh, I know, he keeps talking up how 15 new councillors are coming on board etc. but:
a) I put even less stock in his ability to predict electoral results than I do in his ability to do something honest, coherent or intelligent;
b) There's no way to know who those 15 people will be. What if Dan Fox takes out David Shiner, for example?

I know those people who would still vote for him are too dim or otherwise lack the understanding that even if you fully back his agenda you need him to win AND at least 10 new councillors who will back him but everyone else does.

I understand the need to prepare for the worst but some of this is too much. It would be easy, in a weird way, to think he really is smarter than we think and that Doug (as this guy claims) is some sort of campaign genius; it would give some context to to the existential need to understand how and why this has all unfolded as it has, but there is no bigger picture. They're just a couple of dumb bullies and soon they'll be done. After Labour Day stuff's gonna get real. This has all been prologue.

I'm liking the "perfect storm" theory in that Ford Bros have managed to capture *all* of the sludge at the bottom of the river. Rofo has achieved the immovable 27% Alan Keyes Constant.

The problem posed with 27% is that when you have a 5% margin-of-error or a 5% minor swing in opinion, and a solid 3-way race with 32% each + a swag of minor candidates and undecided voters, the situation gets a bit worrisome.

I'm not disagreeing with the Nate Silver book, and that a lot of this is noise. The Fords however, have been nothing but noise and they have managed to jam the signal and suck up all the oxygen. It lends an unpredictable quality to this saga that makes me wary. I do hope you're right, however.

Robyn Doolittle just announced on twitter the Globe will have a Don Bosco story tomorrow.

Nothing in it will shake the 27%, or whatever they are. The rest of us will continue to reel in disgust a the various things he no doubt says and does on a regular basis. After all, he's not perfect. Are you?

The only thing less scary to me than a poll showing Ford ahead is a Forum poll showing Ford ahead (not that such a thing exists) and the only thing less scary than that is Rob or Doug wandering by and telling people they will have to eat some crow when they see the new, pointless poll by Forum. I hope EagleEye was being sarcastic ("ooooh, doug! I'm soooo worrrried!") and not actually fearful of this several-steps-removed-from-reality threat of imaginary numbers showing something even more imaginary.

Lorne Bozinoff in an interview with CityNews this evening stated that Tory remains the frontrunner and latest Forum poll will show that when released tomorrow.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/08/27/strategies-for-toronto-mayoral-candidates-in-last-leg-of-race/

ah, beaten to the punch.

Excellent news, but we need to stay wary. The Fords are like the undead- don't rest until you know that they're really dead. I will only breathe that sign of relief when Election Day passes and Ford is no longer the mayor of this city- but even then, who knows how deep his corrupt tendrils have done?

Nothing in it will shake the 27%, or whatever they are. The rest of us will continue to reel in disgust a the various things he no doubt says and does on a regular basis. After all, he's not perfect. Are you?

The only thing less scary to me than a poll showing Ford ahead is a Forum poll showing Ford ahead (not that such a thing exists) and the only thing less scary than that is Rob or Doug wandering by and telling people they will have to eat some crow when they see the new, pointless poll by Forum. I hope EagleEye was being sarcastic ("ooooh, doug! I'm soooo worrrried!") and not actually fearful of this several-steps-removed-from-reality threat of imaginary numbers showing something even more imaginary.

I wasn't afraid of his feeble attempt at a threat, I was worried that Rob lead in the poll. I've seen the City TV comments and am relieved!

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 9.55.03 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 9.55.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 9.55.03 PM.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 755
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 10.01.19 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 10.03.19 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 10.03.32 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 10.03.57 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 10.01.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 10.01.19 PM.jpg