News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the contrary, all signs points to the fact that they are doing it in work time and not "volunteering" given conflicting accounts - and this in many ways is even worse - it isn't a technicality, but a clear violation - and that city resources are used for private purposes. Not to mention, it wasn't just the matter of city paid staff, but city paid resources (vehicle, cell phone) that are utilized to said ends. Given previous warnings from the Integrity Commissioner and the revelations from the court case, just what message is this latest episode sending wrt respect for the law?

AoD

Last edited:
The latest allegations I heard on the drive in to work today was that those same city staffers have been using city-provided cellphones and cars. If proven true, it would make the king of "respect for taxpayers" look like a duplicitous oaf. He keeps talking about the kids (his football team) in an effort to play down the optics of those city staffers helping Rob Ford cut his city meets short so that he can go coach. You could be forgiven for thinking that coaching is his dream day job and that the whole mayoral thing plays decidedly second-fiddle.

Media-wise, Ford is pure gold - the gift that keeps on giving. The only way he could escape all this attention is to permanently sew his mouth shut.

Last edited:
Weird: in the aftermath of the trial, they're exercising even *more* defiant bravado--like they know they're cornered, and are saying "come and get us, I dare you to".

Wouldn't be surprised if either Rob, or Doug, or both are in handcuffs by the end of the year. (And of course, the usual Automation Gallery and spider types in this thread will claim it was all a frame, a set-up, etc by people who "won't respect the will of the voting public", etc)

An excerpt from message #7873 on this thread;

Mayor Ford's public image has pretty well conformed to what was expected and most of those who voted for him are not surprised or particularly offended until this “reading while driving” episode came down the road. I will not vote again for an individual who is willing to endanger (not just offend) others and toss it off as excusable because he is a busy man.

So long Mr. Ford, it's been good to know ya' .

I'm far from a Ford supporter, but this latest controversy about staff helping Ford's football coaching amounts to throwing crap on the wall and seeing what sticks. And considering how much has already, it seems silly to focus on this issue.

It appears that said staff were volunteering, and were not forced to attend. If I were a city staff member and had an interest in football, given the opportunity I would probably volunteer as well.

Now if this is a case where staff aren't "forced" to help, but... then yes there could be an issue. And perhaps it could create a situation where staff feel pressured to volunteer, but there is no evidence or even accusations that such is the case. It is purely speculation.

well, according to DF's comments in a G&M article that i posted, staff were volunteering after completing their 40-hour work week.

it's AMAZING Mr. Gillis (et al) were able to complete their 40-hour week by Tuesday 3:30 pm !
isn't it great that RF found such an efficient ' special assistant '.

Mayor's staff will defend him, Doug Ford says

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/13/mayors-staff-will-defend-him-doug-ford-says#disqus_thread

TORONTO - Mayor Rob Ford's office staff will be brought out to defend him, Councillor Doug Ford vowed Thursday.

Ford's brother went on AM640 Thursday and promised the staffers at the centre of the current controversy swirling around the mayor would be brought out to tell their story.

"We're going to have to bring the staff out to speak to the media which we hate doing," Ford told radio host John Oakley. "They volunteer their time."

While the mayor's office couldn't confirm the claim, Ford vowed the two staffers that help the mayor with his football team would be brought out.

"We'll get these two folks out, they'll clear the air and then I'd like to see what they say after that," he said.

On Wednesday, Mayor Rob Ford refused to make it clear where he draws the line between his taxpayer-funded office, his taxpayer-funded staff and his football teams. Ford ran away from reporters at City Hall and surrounded himself with his football players at his football practice to keep the media away.

A statement released from the mayor's office didn't address directly accusations the mayor has used and is still using his taxpayer-funded staff and the resources of the mayor’s office, including cellphones and a city vehicle, to help run his football activities.

Ford's statement urged councillors not to attack his staff and stressed they "put in at least 40 hours of work for taxpayers every week. Often more.â€

The statement went on to say the mayor is accompanied by one or more staff members at most times to help him in his “official duties.â€

On the radio Thursday, Councillor Ford said the two are volunteering their time with the team.

"Unfortunately, these two young men are giving back their time to these youth and they are getting assassinated along with Rob," Ford said. "What is Rob supposed to do? Is he not supposed to help youth out?"

Ford argued if it "was a girl's volleyball team" rather than a football team the whole issue wouldn't be a problem.

"It's because it is football in high priority neighbourhoods, in Rexdale," he said.

The Ward 2, Etobicoke North councillor dismissed complaints from councillors about the issue, repeating his belief the issue is politically-motivated.

"It's Rob Ford and they'll do anything to undo this election," Ford said. "They try to make stories up, well they do make stories up."

Ford went on to blame the media for the controversy.

"The media once again is spinning the story," Ford said. "So what Rob should do is tell everyone of his office staff do no volunteer anywhere?"

Ford said Andrew Gillis, a former quarterback for the University of Toronto’s Varsity Blues football squad, who now works in the mayor's office as a special assistant is a "super bright person."

"(He) goes in there and helps constituents all day long. He sits at front reception a lot of times so the media sees him but they want to turn a blind eye to that," Ford said. "And after work, because he loves football, he asked Rob if he could volunteer his time and help out."

The councillor said the mayor's staff will continue "volunteering their time."

"And Rob is going to continue helping kids in priority neighbourhoods," Ford said.

I know this is very common in newspapers, but I really hate it when articles place each sentence in a separate sentence.

I suppose the vehicle and cell phones will continue to defend him too.

Spider:

Did you not recall the revelation of his arrest in Florida and the circumstances surrounding it reported prior to the election? The mea culpa presented in 7873 rings hollow.

AoD

Last edited:
Yeah, that's definitely a Sun tactic. You see it a lot with their columnists. Has its own wanly melodramatic effect. Little bite-sized nuggets of propaganda. The other papers sling it in bigger batches, but it's all still doused in special spin sauce.

An excerpt from message #7873 on this thread;

Mayor Ford's public image has pretty well conformed to what was expected and most of those who voted for him are not surprised or particularly offended until this “reading while driving” episode came down the road. I will not vote again for an individual who is willing to endanger (not just offend) others and toss it off as excusable because he is a busy man.

So long Mr. Ford, it's been good to know ya' .

I think this comment by a disillusioned Ford supporter (in the Sun of all places) is reassuring and suggest that not all Ford supporters are completely insane and sociopathic: 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"....followed by a declaration that they will no longer support Ford and his buffoonery.

You have to recall he was only elected with 47% of the vote. Not a huge majority to Smithermans 35%.
So yeah - he had his detractors from the get go. I have no idea where Smitherman would be right now either... so "Meh"

Just when we thought it would be safe to turn on your radio, the Ford brothers are to return to CFRB 1010 this coming Sunday. From the Toronto Sun:

Doug Ford promises 'fireworks' on radio show

1297309970235_ORIGINAL.jpg

Tune into the Ford brothers radio show on Sunday because there is going to be “fireworksâ€.

Councillor Doug Ford vowed Wednesday to go after the reporters who have been hammering Mayor Rob Ford when he and his brother go back on the air for their Newstalk 1010 show this Sunday at 1 p.m.

“The fireworks are going to start,†Ford said. “The gloves are coming off.â€

Ford was fired up over a media report alleging taxpayer-funded mayor’s office staffers are helping the mayor coach his high school football team, the Don Bosco Eagles, and his summer football team, the Rexdale Raiders.

“This is about politics,†Councillor Ford said. “This is about (a reporter) going after Rob Ford.â€

Ford slammed the report as “gutter journalism at its bestâ€.

“This is lazy journalism,†he said.

Ford claimed the mayor’s staffers spotted on the football field volunteer their time after putting in a 40-hour work week.

“He doesn’t force his staff to go play football,†Ford said. “They’re volunteering their time.â€

The outspoken councillor stressed the football programs the mayor runs help around 400 kids a year.

“These are kids that come from high piority neighbourhoods,†Ford said.

If I wanted to see that, I would have gone for UFC or gawd forbid, WWE, not some f-wit doing it on taxpayer's dime.

Time to chase that pig back to Chicago and have him take, no, haul back that piece of meat with him.

AoD

Last edited:
So Ford's going to trot out his office staff to verify there's no wrong-doing? I suppose they'd better if they want to keep their jobs.

Get them all in court, with cell phone records and evidence. Now that would be interesting.

Torontonian files complaint with integrity officer over Mayor Ford’s football practices.

JOHN LORINC

The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Sep. 13 2012, 1:38 PM EDT

Last updated Thursday, Sep. 13 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

Amidst mounting controversy over Rob Ford’s football habits, a Toronto resident has added to the mayor’s pigskin problems by filing a new complaint with Toronto integrity commissioner Janet Leiper.

In a seven-page affidavit submitted this morning with the city clerk’s office, Jude MacDonald alleges the mayor violated Article VI of Council’s Code of Conduct, which prohibits members from using municipal resources, staff or property for non-city activities.

Her submission includes information from a Globe and Mail article published Wednesday, which reported that two members of the mayor’s staff participated in Mr. Ford’s football practices and used city-issued cell phones to support his team, the Rexdale Raiders.

In an official statement Wednesday, the mayor's office said: "As Mayor of Toronto, Mayor Ford is accompanied by one or more of his staff members at most times, in order to assist him in his official duties. Staff in the Mayor's Office are selected for their jobs based on their skills, experience, education and commitment to making Toronto a better city."

Councillor Doug Ford, the mayor's brother, denied any impropriety and insisted the staffers were volunteering their own time.

However, Thursday, Mark Towhey, the mayor's chief of staff, said: "Doug Ford is a councillor for Ward 2. He represents Ward 2. He does not speak for the mayor or the mayor's office."

Ms. MacDonald, who last year filed a complaint with the integrity commissioner over the mayor’s office expenses, said she feels Mr. Ford’s work with young football players is “admirable,” but added that he has an obligation to adhere to council’s code of conduct. “Respecting the taxpayer means respecting the rules,” she said.

A contributor to the left-leaning online publication Rabble.ca, Ms. MacDonald cited in her complaint details from Mr. Ford’s testimony in a Toronto court last week, during which he was questioned by lawyer Clayton Ruby about his understanding of municipal conflict of interest law and other council rules.

She also included images and texts documenting Mr. Ford’s fundraising activities for his football foundation, which have been the source of most of his recent headaches. An August, 2010, report by the integrity commissioner criticized Mr. Ford for using city resources – staff time and letterhead – for his fundraising activities. That report led to the conflict of interest allegation now being considered by an Ontario judge.

Ms MacDonald insisted she is not piling on with this latest complaint against a mayor who seemed so embattled Wednesday that his high school football players moved to shield him from media questions after a practice.

“He’s the mayor,” she added. “He sets the tone.”

[URL}http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/torontonian-files-complaint-with-integrity-officer-over-mayor-fords-football-practices/article4542418/[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back