News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing anyone else there saying it's outside of her jurisdiction.

Doug Ford said it's hearsay? How could that actually even be true, given that it's from direct evidence under oath. The only other criticism of the report by councillors that is mentioned is Nunziatta complaining that comments from right-wingers are not included - which doesn't make sense, as the report doesn't contain comments from any notable left-wingers either.

Again with the "hearsay", nfitz? ;)

Oh well, at least I can put to rest the theory that you're Doug Ford, although he appears to be reading from one of your playbooks (re: the hearsay argument). Truth sure is stranger than fiction...

Originally Posted by Riverdale Rink Rat
Peeps - which right wing Councillor do you work for? Just curious...

Why does anyone who not agree with the anti-Ford crowd always be accused of working for any of the right-wing councilors? Can you not understand that a people majority of people elected a man to do a job and are defending him from those who will not let him do what we the people elected him to do?

Peepers accused the ombudsman of wild conspiracies and political axe-grinding. He wasn't defending Ford or even making counter arguments. Therefore, it was my (IMO very reasonable) assumption that he was throwing mud to see if he could make it stick. Anyone doing that is, at a minimum, doing the work of an operative rather than just a supporter.

I meant the 'working for' line as sarcasm, not literally. Tough to do sarcasm while writing.

Last edited:
If we are going to split hairs, Rob Ford did get a majority - he received a relative majority (i.e. plurality). Ford did not receive a simple majority but he came very close with 47% of the votes.

Despite the fact that 47% of voters cast their ballot for Ford (myself included) anyone on this forum who doesn't agree with the anti-Ford people on here (seemingly the majority) are accused of working for a right-wing Councillor - or are subject to personal attacks (e.g. their sanity is questioned).

You would be perfect for the PQ. Taking numbers and twisting them around is their specialty.

The 'Ford won the election' non-argument is getting so, so old. He has done, minimum, a dozen things since the election to be riled about. I'm not angry with Ford because he won the election. I'm angry with Ford because he's a bully, incompetent, and refuses to even consider learning or changing his approach one iota.

MetroMan - when does the judge's decision on Ford come down?

re: slipping out during lunch

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/04/bag-ban-hearings-a-stage-production-minnan-wong

Mayor Rob Ford, who has raged against the ban, was absent for the vote. A Toronto Sun photographer spotted him at Mary Ward Catholic Secondary School where his high school football team was playing Thursday. He arrived in the council chamber several minutes after the vote.

For someone pontificating on how banning plastic bags is such an important issue in Toronto politics, he certainly got the balls to show up after the vote.

AoD

MetroMan - when does the judge's decision on Ford come down?

Sorry Riverdale Rink Rat, it looks like the watercooler rumors were wrong. This morning it also appeared that he would be called to court because his lawyer was spotted but it turns out he's just meeting with his legal team, not heading to court. People speculate that a ruling is imminent because Ford's meetings with Lenczner went from none soon after the trial to a big flurry in the past couple of weeks.

Short answer: nobody at City Hall knows but they speculate when they see Ford meeting with Lenczner.

A majority of people did not elect Ford. Get your facts straight. And just because someone elected a politician does not mean that said person can regret his/her choice and complain about the politicians behaviour?

More people voted for Ford than half the Councillors combined - probably even more than the 22 Councillors who had the most votes. I say that 47% of 50% (I forget what the voter turnout was) voted for Ford - which is about 25%. But the other 50% by not voting said they were perfectly happy relying on the choices of others. By not voting, they also endorsed Ford so he really has 75% support.

BurlOak:

By not voting, they also endorsed Ford so he really has 75% support.

Actually, that logic is deficient - the act of not voting comes before the outcome of Ford being elected mayor - and as such, it is less about increasing anyone's endorsement and more about "not caring" enough.

AoD

More people voted for Ford than half the Councillors combined - probably even more than the 22 Councillors who had the most votes. I say that 47% of 50% (I forget what the voter turnout was) voted for Ford - which is about 25%. But the other 50% by not voting said they were perfectly happy relying on the choices of others. By not voting, they also endorsed Ford so he really has 75% support.

Thanos is correct, a majority of the people did not elect Ford. With a turn-out of only 53.2%, one can say that only a majority of those who voted (47.1%) voted for Ford. Smitherman received 35.6% and Pantalone had 11.7% of the votes. As for your personal view that those who did not vote endorsed Ford, you have no basis to support such an assumption.

No one couldn't say that, as a majority of those who voted (52.9%) voted against Ford.

Ford got a plurality of those who voted, not a majority.

We have a winner.
And how many who voted for Ford regret doing that? Do they not have the right to be mad at him?

Two separate polls, in two separate papers, confirm that the public is tired of this nonsense and gives Ford very low approval ratings.

Globe: One quarter of Torontonians think Ford should be re-elected: Poll

Toronto’s next mayoral election is still two years away, but only one in four voters seem willing to give Mayor Rob Ford a second term, a new poll shows.

In a Nanos Research telephone survey conducted between Sept. 29 and Oct. 4, 400 Torontonians were asked which of two views best reflected their personal opinion: Mr. Ford should be re-elected or it will be time for change in the next election?

Only 26 per cent of respondents said Mr. Ford should be re-elected, while 56 per cent supported a mayoral change and 18 per cent were unsure.

The Toronto Star cites an Angus Reid poll not only of opinions of Ford and possible other candidates (Stintz, Vaughan, Chow, Tory, Carroll) but of Ford's handling of specific issues, ranging from garbage collection to transit. Only on the garbage file did he get a "thumbs up". But those who like Ford like him a lot, recent gaffes have not changed the opinions of the hard-core base.

400 and 802 seem like fairly small sample pools, though.

Here's the link to the Nanos Poll:

www.nanosresearch.com/library/polls/POLGTA-W12-T556.pdf

Support seems to peak around the 30-39 age group at 30.5%, while support is lower for those older and younger. Makes sense, given that this is the baby boom group which was born into an age of prosperity.

The highest disapproval comes from the 60+, at 62.6% wanting change. These are people who really know what fiscal conservatism and Red Toryism is.

Also interesting is the fact that 31.3% of the 18-29 age group is still unsure whether or not they want Ford or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back