News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug's wife probably heard her parents mention that their parents were orthodox at some point and thought that meant Jewish.

It more than Doug just not understanding the difference between Eastern Orthodox and Jewish Orthodox.

He specifically said they were persecuted for being Jewish.

“Let me be very, very clear on this. It's the last time I will address it. My wife's grandparents were persecuted in Europe."
https://twitter.com/Shawn_Jeffords/status/519683519346262016

“They came over, they changed their name. They were orthodox Jewish heritage,” Ford said.

“My wife was furious at John Tory’s statement — it’s disgusting.”

He is the one who brought up the subject of his wife's religion. Interestingly, she has made no comment.

Last edited:
My guess is tomorrow's presser at Ford HQ will be about Tory. Doug's in damage control mode, Graeme was hinting today that the "missing" item on Tory's resume will be revealed soon. Classic distraction move.

Agreed. Seems to be a pattern. Doug puts his foot in his mouth. Calls a hasty presser. Talks about subways. Or whatever. Doesn't seem to do much for him, IMO.

It more than Doug just not understanding the difference between Eastern Orthodox and Jewish Orthodox.

He specifically said they were persecuted for being Jewish.

“Let me be very, very clear on this. It's the last time I will address it. My wife's grandparents were persecuted in Europe."
https://twitter.com/Shawn_Jeffords/status/519683519346262016

“They came over, they changed their name. They were orthodox Jewish heritage,” Ford said.

“My wife was furious at John Tory’s statement — it’s disgusting.”

JT is the one who is disgusting, Mr Ford?

Yeah, I saw that later. That's the danger of posting something when you're behind on your reading.

It seems the Fords are digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole with this one. Deflecting claims of anti-Semitism by claiming your wife is Jewish is not doubling the wrong - it's squaring it.

AoD

Why would anyone square themselves in the nuts?

The idiocy of Ford Nation (from the video comments):

"It's important to note that Ari Goldkind, the man who instigated this controversy with Doug Ford, himself said he is not religious, but was none-the-less offended as a Jew. Doug Ford's wife not practicing the faith seems less important when we remember the start of the argument."

For anyone who's interested in seeing the actual jpags/DoFo exchange here it is on YouTube

http://m.youtube.com/watch?t=2m06s&feature=youtu.be&v=uj1fClp9GKg

Wow, thanks.

At around 3:10 Doug says "Do you think I'd make this up" in way that pretty much induces the whole universe to say YES DOUG WE TOTALLY DO, and that's surrounded by him saying "Jennifer from the Toronto Star" over and over in a tone that is really creepy. Props to Jennifer Pagliaro for keeping her cool through all that.

Wow, thanks.

At around 3:10 Doug says "Do you think I'd make this up" in way that pretty much induces the whole universe to say YES DOUG WE TOTALLY DO, and that's surrounded by him saying "Jennifer from the Toronto Star" over and over in a tone that is really creepy. Props to Jennifer Pagliaro for keeping her cool through all that.

My favourite part was when he said "and you can look it up", to which she replied "we did".

Wow, thanks.

Yeah, every time he said "Jennifer from The Toronto Star" it was like listening to someone take out a hit on live TV. I'm surprised he didn't mention her home address, too.

Maybe they need to change tack and start asking for clarification how having a wife who never identified as Jewish and who never in any way participated in Jewish culture but maaaaay have had grandparents who were born Jewish (but apparently converted) excuses his brother's use of ethic slurs or his response to it. Just so we can be a little more clear on his reasoning. That would be illuminating.

Wow, thanks.

You can almost see him changing his answer!

If they were persecuted in Russia, doesn't it stand to reason that once in Canada they would resume their Jewishness? Wouldn't pretending to be Russian Greek Orthodox really wear on them?

Also, FFS Doug, stop calling it 'zee'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back