News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course SAL has bought the whole name change/conversion scenario, mainly because the debunking thereof is supported by Bernier Farber. And she's supposedly known about Karla's ancestry for years yet somehow never mentioned it in the context of Rob or Doug expressing prejudice. Right.

Well Markovitz...(or any variation of the spelling)
could end up being say Marko, Marks or how about this Banks.....

Ugh - Dofus on CP24 to talk about Transit kept going off topic attacking Ford. I'd love to see this crap seriously backfire so he'd just STFU and go away.

Yup, DuhFo has the endorsement of the people in the outer ring. I live in the central city and all of us here are horrified with DuhFo.

For real, we have a divided city now. This poses a real leadership challenge and DuhFo is not up to that. Voters must choose the candidate most likely to try to heal the fractious nature of this new relationship (aka the megacity). This will take brains, not a DuhFo.

Not only is Doug not up to the challenge of healing the city, I would suggest he's picked right up where Rob left off, actively working to encourage the divide. And that works both ways, getting the core angry with the burbs and the burbs angry at the core, both have the same divisive effect. To heal that divide will take leadership I'm not sure I'm seeing much of from anyone, but the next Mayor will need to listen to everyone, build an EC from *all* parts of the city, and ultimately do a lot of compromising to build the trust of the whole city. Ultimately there are a ton more similarities than differences, Everyone just needs to be reminded of that, rather than dragged into the lowest Us v. Them mess we are in now.

/2¢

And of course, thinking "that sounds like a Jewish name"* (which Doug seems to be suggesting about the original surname of Karla's maternal grandfather) is as much of a tired, ignorant stereotype as "my doctor, my lawyer, my..."

*Sure. Tell that to all of the Irish Protestants named Cohen.

Meant to insert a somewhat longer quote:

[FONT=Times.New.Roman]This is the crux of the distinction between him and the liar. Both he and the liar represent themselves falsely as endeavoring to communicate the truth. The success of each depends upon deceiving us about that. But the fact about himself that the liar hides is that he is attempting to lead us away from a correct apprehension of reality; we are not to know that he wants us to believe something he supposes to be false. The fact about himself that the bullshitter hides, on the other hand, is that the truth-values of his statements are of no central interest to [/FONT][FONT=Times.New.Roman]him; what we are not to understand is that his intention is neither to report the truth nor to conceal it. This does not mean that his speech is anarchically impulsive, but that the motive guiding and controlling it is unconcerned with how the things about which he speaks truly are.

[/FONT]

[FONT=Times.New.Roman]It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction. A person who lies is thereby responding to the truth, and he is to that extent respectful of it. When an honest man speaks, he says only what he believes to be true; and for the liar, it is correspondingly indispensable that he considers his statements to be false. For the bullshitter,however, all these bets are off: he is neither on the side of the true nor on the side of the false. His eye is not on the facts at all, as the eyes of the honest man and of the liar are, except insofar as they may be pertinent to his interest in getting away with what he says. He does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose. [/FONT]

And of course, thinking "that sounds like a Jewish name"* (which Doug seems to be suggesting about the original surname of Karla's maternal grandfather) is as much of a tired, ignorant stereotype as "my doctor, my lawyer, my..."

And former cabinet minister Monte Solberg reported that he used to get invited to events put on by Jewish organizations who assumed that he was Jewish because of his name.

Well, sure. But some people are a little too quick to assume that a name ending in -wicz, -wich, -vich, -witz, -vitz, etc., is necessarily Jewish.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.34.55 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.34.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.34.55 AM.png
    518 KB · Views: 685
UT version of storify!

Well, sure. But some people are a little too quick to assume that a name ending in -wicz, -wich, -vich, -witz, -vitz, etc., is necessarily Jewish.

And former cabinet minister Monte Solberg reported that he used to get invited to events put on by Jewish organizations who assumed that he was Jewish because of his name.

The late Myron Cohen (not Irish Protestant, I'm pretty sure), combining and skewering the professions stereotype and the names stereotype:

MC: So, I called my lawyer. (puts imaginary telephone to his ear, a la Bob Newhart)

Voice: Cohen, Cohen, Cohen and Cohen. Good morning.

MC: May I speak with Mr. Cohen, please?

Voice: Oh, I'm sorry to have to give you sad news; Mr. Cohen passed away.

MC: Well then, is Mr. Cohen available?

Voice: No, sir, he's in court today.

MC: I see. What about Mr. Cohen?

Voice: He's in a meeting with another client right now.

MC: (exasperated) OK, can I at least talk to Mr. Cohen?

Voice: Speaking!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back