8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Goldsbie @goldsbie
Ford: "I've been there four years." Tory: "No, you've only been there two year, because you only showed up half the time."

Zing!

Yeah, Daniel Dale posted the by-ward results. Highest results were in Don Valley West, Eglinton-Lawrence, ST. Paul's and a couple of Etobicoke wards (but not Ford's). Don Valley West had 3% turnout, which sounds crazy to me.

Eglington-Lawrence ( :D ) isn't a particularly Tory area though. Wandering through yesterday, I counted 13 Ford, 4 Chow, 3 Tory signs.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 7m7 minutes ago
Doug Ford lies coming faster than I can type them out on my phone right now.

And that's how he rolls. By the time you call him on his lie, he's rattled off a dozen bigger lies. One simply cannot keep up.

A friend posted this to FB, well said and worth sharing*, I think:

"I'm only going to say this once. I voted for Olivia Chow because she has a good record in politics and is the *only* major candidate with any vision for this city.
And if my vote results in Doug Ford getting in, so be it. I'd *much* rather Ford get in than Tory. Tory will try to implement the same kind of harmful measures as the Fords - which will hurt us all, but especially those who need help the most. People will heave a sigh of relief that the scandals will be over, and give Tory a free pass to do what he wants; he'll get much cooperation from progressives on council who would have opposed him before the debacle of the Ford administration numbed our sensibilities about what constitutes good government.
Doug Ford, on the other hand, will face the same scrutiny Toronto has become accustomed to maintaining under Rob - from the press, the public, and the rest of city council. He will face opposition from the start and will never be able to relax and assume he can count on anyone's support.
Rob Ford's legacy may well be to elect a "moderate" conservative to the mayor's seat with the blessing of a population desperate to restore some dignity to this city and its politics. But conservative policies are still conservative policies. If Ford's major achievement will be to lower the bar so far we're willing to see any other conservative politician as acceptable, he will have achieved more than some of the most brilliant war-room strategists. Don't let it happen.
Vote with your heart, and with a clear view as to what your "strategic" vote may accomplish."

*ETA: In light of Tory's (hopefully fatal, because it should be fatal) tipping of his hand today: his platform is nothing more than "Smart"Track + Stop the Gravy Train 2.0.

Thanks for posting that. It's a reasonable argument for voting Chow, if you lean to her politics. I don't, and don't think Tory will be a disaster, but it's a coherent argument. There's no equivalent argument for voting Goldkind or any of the other minnows, though.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 7m7 minutes ago

And that's how he rolls. By the time you call him on his lie, he's rattled off a dozen bigger lies. One simply cannot keep up.

A previous Dale tweet:
"Doug Ford begins by saying we were "facing debt" four years ago, and, falsely, that we are now not facing debt."

I think Doug, businessman extraordinaire, does not understand the difference between debt and a deficit. Of course, he lies about the city being in a deficit before he and Rob balanced the books, but the notion he thinks there is no municipal debt is absurd. Mostly, he just barrels through things. So, he says youth unemployment is down and Tory and Chow say it's up (which is true) and Doug just says it's not true and things move on, facts be damned.

I understand braggadocio but his ability to lie in almost every sentence is worthy of some kind of medical investigation.

EDIT: Now they are responding to a Q about whether they've been stopped by police. Doug just said the one big thing is you DON'T mouth back the police: Yessir, nossir...
This is the same guy who had to issue a formal, legal apology to the police chief. The police chief his brother called a cocksucker while bragging about how he worked to evade those "front line officers" the bros respect so much.

Comedy!

Last edited:
A friend posted this to FB, well said and worth sharing*, I think:

"I'm only going to say this once. I voted for Olivia Chow because she has a good record in politics and is the *only* major candidate with any vision for this city.
And if my vote results in Doug Ford getting in, so be it. I'd *much* rather Ford get in than Tory. Tory will try to implement the same kind of harmful measures as the Fords - which will hurt us all, but especially those who need help the most. People will heave a sigh of relief that the scandals will be over, and give Tory a free pass to do what he wants; he'll get much cooperation from progressives on council who would have opposed him before the debacle of the Ford administration numbed our sensibilities about what constitutes good government.
Doug Ford, on the other hand, will face the same scrutiny Toronto has become accustomed to maintaining under Rob - from the press, the public, and the rest of city council. He will face opposition from the start and will never be able to relax and assume he can count on anyone's support.

Hey, it's a democracy and I definitely understand this is a meme that's out there, that Tory is actually worse than Ford; I think it's totally false.

I have had some concerns about Tory on the campaign trail but anyone who heard him talk when he was on CivicAction (and I also had the opportunity to speak with him back during the 2003 campaign) would find it absurd to suggest that he is the same kind of politician as Ford. Ironically, this point of view is EXACTLY, what Doug wants you to think: "Vote for chow (undermining the front-runner!) because John is just a smooth-talking elitist politician!"

My personal POV is that I think (like everyone else's) his transit plan is suspect and that he's wrong about how much fat there is still to trim at City Hall but that he sincerely understands the social problems in the city at a macro level that would literally be incomprehensible to Doug.

Most of that "argument" is a series of straw men about a hypothetical future that does not exist. The mayor will be under plenty of scrutiny and the mayor's main job (and this is what Rob forgot and/or never understood!) is building consensus. it's not like a majority government where you can rule by fiat for four years and if Tory has some crazy policies, he will have to go through council to get those policies passed. Scrutiny be damned, we don't need another four years of the mayor losing votes 42-2 so some ideologues can sleep at night.

Your mileage may vary, but I'll take the guy who is obviously more intelligent and honest - even if I disagree with some of his ideas - than the sociopathic, divisive liar who even just a few weeks ago demonstrated no interest in even holding the job. Honestly, I find the idea that Doug is preferable to Tory just way out there and, as I pointed out, it's exactly Doug's strategy to make you think Tory is just a slicker, more-out-of touch guy so you should vote for the real deal (him) or the gal who is actually different (Olivia). Think about THAT before casting your anti-Ford vote.

Since 90+% of the police budget is wages what can Ford do to save money....cut police cars....vests....horses?

For those of you who decided to sit out of this debate, you are not missing much.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8

Daniel Dale @ddale8
Unsurprisingly for talk radio, this debate has been pretty right-leaning. Questions on scary neighbourhoods, policing, panhandlers.

Daniel Dale @ddale8
Moderator says shouting over each other isn't helpful to "the taxpayers" listening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back