News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I find Olivia Chow overrated as a mayoral prospect--and I suspect that she might, too, about herself. And nothing would make the Fords salivate more than to face a high-profile NDP opponent--indeed, the worst thing the NDPish-progressive left can do is to feel like it's *entitled* to the post-Ford mayoralty, much like Smitherman felt "entitled" in 2010.

But it also depends on what happens on the right; that is, whether Ford-exec types hold their nose and cast their lot w/the incumbent, or opt for a John Tory or "one of their own" instead. Because with the right alignment of endorsements, the latter (and I'm not necessarily speaking of Stintz) could well prevail over both Ford and Chow/Vaughan/Carroll. So, sorry progressives--we might wind up back where we started "sorta" (but not really)...

And the funny thing is that it has a heavy base in "New Canadians"--and I've been thinking about that: a lot of them coming from places where a lot of stuff is done by underground/black market means and where "official" government is viewed sneeringly at best. In a way, they've carried some of that mindset to Canada with them; and to them, Rob Ford is an "anti-government" People's Hero, a rumpled Lech Walesa vs the evil, oppressive, deluded Soviets....

Ah, yeah. Ford's "sins" being some trumped-up thing like Pussy Riot's "hooliganism".

While I agree with this, one thing Chow has up on Ford: the language barrier. I think some of Ford's appeal among this demographic were his easy to grasp concepts and catchphrases. A Chinese immigrant with limited English skills may find "gravy train" and "subways" more appealing than the technical explanations as to why they are rubbish, but having a candidate explain to them why they are rubbish in Mandarin may just change dynamics of this game...

Terrible numbers for Ford:

Actually Ford's numbers looked about right...the roughly 30% of Toronto's stupid citizens.

How about Shelley Carroll. 71% = "who the fcuk is Shelley Carroll???? ha ha

John Parker, the deputy speaker (and presiding over this fight), should be promoted to Speaker. He's a right-winger, but he's fair. He's a very capable meeting chair, and pleasant, unlike Nunziata.

He should be interim mayor.

Taking a small break from mayoral speculations for a second, while reading Royson James's column here: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...-ford-refused-to-protect-himself-from-himself

That got me thinking about the very first time that I recalled the first mention of Ford, when he was profiled in a Readers Digest article, probably in the early 2000s. Could easily guess what the topic was: he was in the "That's Outrageous!" section, with the story expressing disbelief over how councillors tried to force Ford to use his own taxpayer-funded office budget. Fast forward almost a decade later and the next mention of Ford in RD is a sidenote contained in an article explaining the life of Calgary's mayor. Sidenote wasn't glowing by any measure, mind you.

It's a bit scary to think that same person you thought "oh, he seems like a reasonable guy" to the wider public in the early 2000s had a whole pile of skeletons hidden from the public and only blown wide open now that he is (or soon, was) the mayor. Of course, there's the youth aspect and being completely oblivious to politics in your childhood which tends to simplify things down to "he seems kind" instead of "he's masking something behind his words..."

... back on topic. Preferably council will be smart enough to appoint someone from the ranks (but please anyone except the OTHER Ford and the batshit crazies) instead of a byelection. Then remind the fuc- er Fords of who elected councillors before they pull out the oft-used "the people" card. Sure, Ford may now have a chance of resuming mayoral duties, but councillors should really ask themselves if they want two more years of this bullshit over the potential threat of being perceived as undemocratic to the uninformed.

Last edited:
Actually Ford's numbers looked about right...the roughly 30% of Toronto's stupid citizens.

How about Shelley Carroll. 71% = "who the fcuk is Shelley Carroll???? ha ha

It's sad that there's this perception of her as a nobody. She's almost the only prominent contender who's competent, a centrist, and not an idealogue. And therefore at the back of the back.

Can't wait for Shelley Carroll and Adam Vaughn to split the lefty vote and Ford wins again.

Don't forget, most of Toronto doesn't share the political opinions of this forum.

Can't wait for Shelley Carroll and Adam Vaughn to split the lefty vote and Ford wins again.

Don't forget, most of Toronto doesn't share the political opinions of this forum.

Just trollin', or do you really like Ford's circus? If the choice was all right of centre candidates (say, 4) would you rank Ford 1 or 4?

I'd LOVE a competent right-winger. Ford is beyond incompetent. I shake my head at Fordites who claim he's the best choice for anything, much less a position of power.

Not going to happen. Also, most of Toronto doesn't share the opinions of "ford nation" and never did.

Last edited:
I'll be astonished if Ford - any Ford - gets back in. I think his political capital is spent. And Ford nation, for all of its noise, simply has more bark than bite.

I'd have no problem with a mayor whose focus was fiscal prudence - in conjunction with consensus-building on council. I think Ford failed on both those counts... his respect for taxpayers was just an empty slogan. Among other things, he was quite happy to use city staff as resources for his true passion - coaching. He called for subways but had no answer to funding it beyond lamely suggesting that the private sector would take care of that little obstacle. His obsession for finding "efficiencies" turned up precious little. We've yet to see how much private garbage collection will cost the city. There are myriad reasons to look beyond the glossy surface of Rob Ford's platform.

In essence, the man is a fraud. I have no doubt he believes his own mythology; the problem is that it remains just that - mythology. He is the classic case of a man who is pathologically incapable of listening. He should stick to what he truly loves - coaching.

Not going to happen. Most of Toronto doesn't share the opinions of "ford nation" and never did.
I don't think he wants Ford to win, he's just saying that that is what will happen if you split the left vote into 2 choices.

Last edited:
But that's also assuming the *right* vote will remain solid, i.e. they'll put all their eggs into the Ford basket once again, clothespin on nose and all.

In the meantime, I wouldn't be surprised if the press henceforth gets even bolder in uncovering of Ford skeletons. and the Fords get even more belligerent, thus alienating even more of that core support...

Is no one going to point out the brilliant cover of this week's NOW Magazine? OK, I'll be happy to...

fordnow.jpg

So the Speaker told Ford to "cool his jets". More people should do that.

The best clip I have come across that fired the Fords up on Thursday night is here, note carefully (Ford supporters) that Vaughan states at the beginning how he "tried" to speak to the Mayor directly and Ford jumps to his feet and accuses Vaughan of lying because he never spoke to Vaughan. You see, this is a great example of how Ford works, his brain processes two words: "speak" and "Mayor" he hits the roof, jumps up and accuses Vaughan of lying over and over again while brother Doug takes up his cause. Absolutely poisonous these two. Turn the volume up and listen -

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video...0YWcmYXA9dHJ1ZSZmcj1zaGFyZWVtYmVkLWZhY2Vib29r

But that's also assuming the *right* vote will remain solid, i.e. they'll put all their eggs into the Ford basket once again, clothespin on nose and all.
The "Ford" basket was the only basket offered to the "right" in the last municipal election, that's why Ford won. I, and many others, voted for the message and accepted the messenger warts and all knowing full well his shortcomings but comforted by the fact that he was not David Miller.

I will vote for the same message in the next election but preferably as delivered by a more thoughtfull and less bombastic messenger.

I loved that NOW mag cover. Best one in years. Best of all: no words - that itself said a great deal - and how the spraycan 'x' hearkened back to Ford's stance on graffiti and his unrealistic desire to eradicate it (it just spurred many an artist on to do specificially Ford-themed works).

But that cover mag is possibly a premature shot, isn't it. Ford is down but not out - not yet, anyway - and he's going to fight tooth and nail. I would expect nothing less of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back