39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twattle, SAL style...

Sue-Ann Levy's lunch with Doug Ford
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/18/sue-ann-levys-lunch-with-doug-ford

"As for whether there would be co-mayors, if both he and Rob are elected and Rob is healthy, Doug says his brother has his expertise, “customer service excellence” while he would focus on the “financial side” of things."

Yah... a continuation of the Wonder Twits would totally work, just like last time.

I wonder how someone like Doug would have turned out without the advantage of family money?

So do I... and to be kind, he would be fighting for a fair wage to survive like a lot of people.

Reading the article about breached medical records by the G &M , my understanding of it is that they asked Olivia about Layton's records and she replied.
“Jack Layton’s medical records were breached, yes,” she said Friday when contacted by The Globe. “I am totally satisfied with what Princess Margaret Hospital did in dealing with the situation,” she said. “It is an old matter. It is a matter that is in the past.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...were-also-accessed-chow-says/article21154944/

I see the Sun has officially endorsed Tory. Poor Warmington.
joe, ever the upstanding journalist, is going to completely ignore this development in whatever columns (sic) he writes over the next 8 days

EIGHT MORE DAYS TO A FORD-FREE TORONTO !!!

um... are we going to retire this thread?

the Mayor John Tory's Toronto thread hasn't seen any activity for about 5 weeks... maybe it's time?

Not impossible at all that JT could run the table on newspaper endorsements. The Post will almost certainly go for him, and despite leftish leanings I strongly suspect the Star will too--much as they backed Wynne at expense of Horvath provincially.

With a week to go, the momentum seems to be building.

Sorry - while I understand that this forum tends towards left leaning (whatever that means) insinuating that Tory is some sort of rabid right wing conservative and that his and Rob Ford's views are not that different doesn't sit well with me. You don't like JT's brand of conservatism, fine but do not equivocate him with a homophobic, misognsytic and small minded drug addict or his disfunctional family.

I suspect for many the appeal of John Tory isn't that he's a "rabid" right wing tea party nut - but that he seems rational and statesman like. After four years of divisive Ford BS - all I really want in a mayor is someone who is able to bring consensus to council.

If you think Tory is the candidate that fulfills what you desire as mayor then bully for you, and him.

Please don't put words in my mouth, or stereotype those on this forum, that's disrespectful.

??????? Whoa, JWBF - that's pretty harsh. And while I keep re-reading pw20's post for clues, I just don't see where it's called-for? Where here, are words being put into your mouth? Or stereotypes made of the forum in any disrespectful manner or that haven't been expressed by numerous previous posters? Just can't find it - the poster makes it clear throughout that s/he is expressing own views and impressions, and not in any hectoring or belittling way that I can see. The one statement that isn't couched that way (regarding Ford) has also been expressed countless times in this forum - by you included, iirc?

I will say the Torontovibe's post this was in response to, bordered on insulting to those supporting Tory, to me. In fact, there have been numerous diatribes lately that have seemed to me to verge on name-calling, or at least 'shame-calling'. Have let it go because heck, impassioned political beliefs, especially in the heat of an election, sometimes pick up some hyperbole while being expressed. I know mine occasionally do! And while I find that hard to read, the posters are also making some cogent and helpful points - as was pw20, IMO.

So why go after a moderate poster whose opposing and quite mildly-stated view added something to the discussion - brought it back to being a discussion, actually, IMO?

You don't have to explain yourself to me or anyone, of course! But would appreciate it because it's happened a couple of times lately - last time, to me... So I fear something is completely escaping me, that offends you greatly.

Fwiw pw20 - I appreciated your post very much. :)

The Post will almost certainly go for him, and despite leftish leanings I strongly suspect the Star will too
the endorsement will come wednesday, and it sure as shootin won't be dougie...

A recent Star editorial has already expressed the unambiguous view that he is totally unsuitable to lead Toronto: “Regrettably, a third contender for Toronto’s top job, Doug Ford, would deliver four more years of dysfunction. He’s no solution to his brother’s failure — he’s a big part of the problem,†that editorial stated.
-- Why does the Star’s choice of best next mayor matter?

Reading the article about breached medical records by the G &M , my understanding of it is that they asked Olivia about Layton's records and she replied.
“Jack Layton’s medical records were breached, yes,†she said Friday when contacted by The Globe. “I am totally satisfied with what Princess Margaret Hospital did in dealing with the situation,†she said. “It is an old matter. It is a matter that is in the past.â€
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...were-also-accessed-chow-says/article21154944/
I thought this was a classy and dignified response from Olivia Chow. Knowing Jack Layton's records were breached also, did seem relevant to me, too - was glad the question was asked and answered.

Last edited:
I wonder how someone like Doug would have turned out without the advantage of family money?

He would have been arrested in his teens for his drug dealing, and would have actually faced consequences.

As a younger adult, he would have had more trouble getting away from the criminal lifestyle, but may have succeeded.

He would still have the instinct to hustle for business, the way he did in Chicago. He may have succeeded, or not.

In sum, he would be less rich, and would have faced many more obstacles so that things would be far less easy for him. But he likely would be about the same guy.

Twattle, SAL style...

Sue-Ann Levy's lunch with Doug Ford
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/18/sue-ann-levys-lunch-with-doug-ford

"As for whether there would be co-mayors, if both he and Rob are elected and Rob is healthy, Doug says his brother has his expertise, “customer service excellence” while he would focus on the “financial side” of things."

Yah... a continuation of the Wonder Twits would totally work, just like last time.
:D :D Well put. And agree with you 100% on those sentiments :D

If you think Tory is the candidate that fulfills what you desire as mayor then bully for you, and him.

Please don't put words in my mouth, or stereotype those on this forum, that's disrespectful.

JWBF my comment about left leaning (whatever that means) wasn't meant as disrespectful - it was meant as an understanding that left leaning means different things to different people. Your comment was disrespectful and rude to me.

Crazy - thanks for your comments. I think though when you say "he endorsed their policies" you raise an interesting point. I was never a Ford fan (in 2010) because I didn't think he understood what it took to run a city; did I agree with some of his small policies (perhaps - I thought that contracting out garbage WAS a good idea! but also disagreed with his subways only mantra; in general I concluded he wasn't intellectually up to the job). When we speak of Ford policies in 2014 his and DoFo's policies become muddied beyond the respect for taxpayer mantra. They extend to a general grossness of how he's handled city hall (to me it reeks of corruption) coupled with a GROSS inability to run or even understand how the city works multiplied by ferris wheels and monorails with a dash of pig headedness around subways; sprinkled on top of that is homophobia, misogony and racism (I haven't even touched his drug issues).

So when you say - Tory will implement those shitty Ford ideas that couldn't get implemented - no I don't think Tory will implement monorails, cancel bike lanes after they've been built and threaten to remove streetcars, nor will I think Tory will spend time coaching high school footballers instead of working or doing any of the countless things that Rob Ford has done while mayor that have not been being a mayor.

I think the FoFam is completely out of the line when it comes to politics - they are truly offensive and reprehensible people. That being said - I don't think Olivia Chow is offensive (Even though I'm not a fan) - nor do I think Ari Goldkind is offensive for suggesting he'd raise taxes to pay for subway lines. These are politicians that I fundamentally respect. They may have ideological differences than myself and others but I respect and trust their value to political discourse, commitment to the city of toronto as well as differing vision for the city of Toronto that I appreciate.

John Tory said something about 2007 race - that at the end of the day both he and David Miller respected each other and that they may have had ideological differences they both thought highly of the other person. I don't think that is true of The Ford Family and John Tory and while you and I and JWBF may have different political leanings - I DO think it is offensive to equivocate small c conservative leanings with anything Ford related.

As an aside - I will also say - that I think this is the longer term problem with the federal Conservatives. The FoFam has so greatly created a toxicity around small c conservatism in 416 that if I were Harper I would have distanced myself from RoFo a long time ago.

This! This is what I was talking about in my post yesterday about why having so many debates is so important (before the thread derailed into eating dogs and vegetarianism).

Instead of having to show up in front of a group of voters interested in hearing about the finer points of Tory's plan to address housing and homelessness - to actually take the opportunity to explain his platform and defend it in front of interested voters - Tory went to a softball glad hand event where he shook hands and made small talk. How was that the least bit productive to the election discussion? All it did was protect Tory from tough questions that he doesn't want to answer.

The many, many debates force candidates to spell out the details of their platform and where they stand on issues that people really care about. These focused debates often cover elements that aren't specifically addressed in their campaign literature and will never, ever be covered in a televised debate. They allow those who remain undecided, who do care about these finer points, who want to hear their issues spoken to, who want to know what the candidates stand for beyond glib soundbites, to hear the candidates finally speak to them.

OK, but w/o reading his platform but assuming it pushes right of centre solutions that housing advocates also espouse, his solutions would lose him NIMBY right wing votes (properly license rooming houses on my street? Never!) and all left wing votes not already lost (dismantle the horrible bureaucracy of TCHC and sell off the buildings piecemeal to properly vetted private landlords? Never!)

A housing debate does not win Tory one single, solitary vote, and might lose him thousands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back