News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be interesting. But who would run Deco Toronto?

Apparently trustee is only a part-time job.

I wonder how many in Ward 2 drank the whole gallon of Kool-Aid and voted the Ford trifecta.

Can you think of anyone famous who ever visited Rexdale?

Rob is likely the only celebrity who ever did. Celebrity status is important to some "folks".

My heart bleeds for the guy but at the end of the day it's all some latte sipping elitists fault.

He should go to a US hospital...oh wait.

I feel guilty for checking, but Rob, even without any news on his health, is climbing steadily up the ladder. He is now ranked directly behind B .B. King ( DOB 1925 ).

Worms will call for him to be made honorary mayor if he is terminal.

Rob is likely the only celebrity who ever did. Celebrity status is important to some "folks".

I don't know, I think the Queen may have come to check out her Plate a few times :p (but she's kind of elite). Also Dougie said Drake was from Rexdale (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri3OvIrUaNs#t=139), but I think he meant K'naan.

Apparently trustee is only a part-time job.

Don't about visited however how about....K'naan and the song "Wavin Flag"

Are the Fords again benefiting from "lowered standards" in making them look good. An incumbent (which Ford was) getting 34% is a record low (I went back to the 70s to look) Everybody was giving such a low bar for the Fords predicting low 20s even though polls showed they were going to be around 30% and now the spin is saying "wow look how impressive Doug is" Incumbents have a HUGE advantage (look at council), especially first year mayors for him ending up in the mid 30s is not impressive. It reminds me of when Ford approval was 40% and the spin was "He's holding steady" yeah he's steady bad or Rob able to get through a press conference without making a total fool of himself. The bar is so low.

Let's put Doug 34% in perspective. That number is LOWER than recent one-and-done Barbara Hall losing to Lastman in the new amalgamated city and even lower than the totally forgettable June Rowlands (36%) Most have mocked George Smitherman in the previous election (also 36%) which was still a higher percentage than Thug. None of these names are considered great political hope or got the positive spin as Doug has. Let's not even begin to mention Ford with the likes of Miller, Lastman and Eggleton who all went into easy victories in the second term.

So because Doug got 34% he's the great conservative hope? Did everybody forget that Tory got 38% in 2003 and it didn't translate to any more conservative votes. The Ford's have always been populist who scam antics will not really play province wide. How will they bash the LRT when cities like Ottawa, Hamilton, Kitchener would love to have one, would he call all those towns "second class" because of it? Another thing is that he's horrible at playing with others, which is huge in party politics. Look how quickly he threw his budget chief Del Grande and deputy mayor Kelly under the bus to save his ass and make himself look good.

Which of course brings me to Wormington bizarre claim of wanting Tory to have Ford as "a" deputy Mayor. Riiiiigh after what Ford did to people in his administration when things get rough, nobody trusts him.

Thanks for putting that into historical perspective. Feel slightly better about the whole thing now. A defeat is a defeat is a defeat. And this was, as you've shown, a worse defeat than many others in our history.

Perhaps people's expectations were just that much lower having borne witness to the incumbent(s)' pathological disregard for anything resembling civil behaviour or discourse. And further, made the naive assumption that many more shared that disdain than apparently do.

I don't know, I think the Queen may have come to check out her Plate a few times :p (but she's kind of elite).

I was thinking of that, but she and the many others who go to the Plate don't likely tour Rexdale to savour the ambience and mingle with some of the beloved characters from the area that we have learned about here on UT.

Topped off of course with fine dining at the Steak Queen.

Funny thing. We had a clerk where I used to work who knew the Rexdale scene in and out. He used to tell me amazing stories about that area. I never paid any attention because Rob was just a councillor back then and I was just about to retire.

But, I regret now that I didn't listen more closely.

Last edited:
Joe Warmington @joe_warmington
Clarification: in column today floated idea of Mayor-elect Tory appoint Mayor Ford, elected as Ward 2 councillor, to a deputy mayor position
In editing a paragraph was accidently dropped which is being restored.In it I suggested Tory follow Mayor Miller's idea of having 3 deputies
My suggestion was for Tory to offer Rob Ford one of those three -- largely ceremonial positions -- for a variety of reasons.
I did not suggest Tory make Ford the deputy mayor alone but on of three, who have the title and take on the role at different times
Please read the amended column on torontosun.com where I explain it further.

Still a dumb idea.

Miller had Joe Pantalone only as far as I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back