8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wikipedia puts it 'in the abdominal cavity', fwiw: "retroperitoneal space
The retroperitoneal space (retroperitoneum) is the anatomical space (sometimes a potential space) in the abdominal cavity behind (retro) the peritoneum. It has no specific delineating anatomical structures. Organs are retroperitoneal if they have peritoneum on their anterior side only."

( Looking into these tems, I feel as though I'm 'not in Kansas anymore, Toto..'. Thoroughly confused and amazed - haven't heard of any of these terms before, except the organs and circulatory systems involved here! Fascinating, in a very "oh, yikes!" kind of way. Especially for Rob, from the sound of it.)

ETA: meant to put in the link. Not sure Wikipedia is the ideal place to get this info, but sounds as though they're directly quoting sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroperitoneal_space

Thanks for the post, Racquette. It clears up questions for me. I had been thinking the retroperitoneal area was not part of the abdomen. Apparently not.

Last edited:
I don't remember hearing or reading anything about that.

IIRC the doctor said it wasn't attached to the colon.

"Cohen said pleomorphic liposarcoma can grow in fatty tissue, nerves, muscle or connective tissue and comprises about 1 per cent of all cancers."
"Cohen said the malignant tumour was found in the mayor’s abdomen and is approximately 12 centimetres by 12 centimetres. Another tumour, about 2 centimetres in size, was found in his buttock behind the left hip."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1568856/mayor-rob-ford-diagnosed-with-rare-cancer/

ETA - In the same article the doctor mentions that it's a very slow growing cancer which would mean that the chemo didn't work at all.

Last edited:

Me either. I just remember Dr. Cohen saying the tumor was in Rob's abdomen. From today's posts, I gather that can include the retroperitonea, but no one has said that's where it is, at least based on what I know.

ETA: I think Dr. Cohen said something about the pelvis, but that might been about the second tumor being in Rob's buttock, behind the pelvis.

My assumption is based on the common statement "...Ford’s tumour, in his abdomen, is 12 centimetres long and wide, roughly the size of a grapefruit...", Robbie's pain was in the lower left quadrant of his torso, Dr. Zane Cohen is a colorectal surgeon, and there has been talk of colonoscopies as well as abdominal CTs.

Last edited:
Mazel Tov!

John Tory is Jewish. Imagine if this had come out during Karla's "Jewdism" moment.

"The ancestral link starts with Helen Yvonne Solomon, Tory's grandmother. With the help of the Ontario Jewish Archives, the newspaper dug up Solomon's birth certificate from 1909, which states she was born into a Russian Jewish family.

Jewish law states that the religion is passed down generations through the mother. So Tory's mother, Elizabeth Bacon, was a member of the faith, also by Jewish law.

Through his mother, Tory then would also be Jewish, by that rationale."

"Of course I knew that," said Tory when he was asked about the article."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/john-tory-is-jewish-claims-israeli-press-1.2827762

Mazel Tov!

John Tory is Jewish. Imagine if this had come out during Karla's "Jewdism" moment.

"The ancestral link starts with Helen Yvonne Solomon, Tory's grandmother. With the help of the Ontario Jewish Archives, the newspaper dug up Solomon's birth certificate from 1909, which states she was born into a Russian Jewish family.

Jewish law states that the religion is passed down generations through the mother. So Tory's mother, Elizabeth Bacon, was a member of the faith, also by Jewish law.

Through his mother, Tory then would also be Jewish, by that rationale."

"Of course I knew that," said Tory when he was asked about the article."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/john-tory-is-jewish-claims-israeli-press-1.2827762

But does Tory practise Jewdism? :)

On a side note...

Combining the concept of a fruit-of-the-month club with the sensibilities of Ron Swanson, the Bacon Shoppe will deliver one pound of premium pig product to your door on a monthly, bi-weekly, or for the truly addicted, weekly basis. The service is restricted to what the company calls its “Bacon Drop Zone,” which covers a relatively small portion of the city, but for the lucky ones to whom delivery is available, copious amounts of crispy, streaky goodness, and eventual heart failure, are but a few clicks away.

http://torontoist.com/2014/11/extra...d-rob-ford-sounds-off-on-councillor-expenses/

http://www.baconshoppe.ca/

This is really helpful - it helps illustrate the kind of 'obstacles' I imagine the surgeons are facing. From my reading on this type of cancer, retroperitoneal tumours are more likely to be non-resectable and are harder to get clean margins on because of the presence of so many key veins, arteries and of course, organs. Lots of people who have had "successful" surgery have had multiple organs cut up or removed entirely. Very scary stuff.

Given this, I have assumed the reason Ford started with chemo and not surgery is because it's a retroperitoneal tumour.

That's exactly right, though it still isn't clear whether his tumour is retroperitoneal. The main reason they started with chemo was because of the secondary tumour - a metastases - separate from the primary.

Basically we talk about "peritoneal" structures as those which arise within folds of tissue that derive embryologically from the "mesoderm". An "intraperitoneal" structure exists between these folds of "peritoneum", and this includes most of the abdominal organs. "Retroperitoneal" structures are those that are "behind" the peritoneal cavity and are not covered by "peritoneum", most importantly including the kidneys, great vessels, major nerve plexuses, and some of the bowels and pancreas. The retroperitoneum isn't as accessible surgically, however, and a locally advanced tumour is more likely to involve major nerves and vessels.

(All those quotes make this read like a Joe Worms column.)

As it's becoming increasingly inevitable that Rob Ford's opponents will fight amongst themselves and propel Ford into the Mayor's chair, what do you think Toronto will look like in 4 years at the end of his term?

Will development stall? Will the province give up on Transit City? What services do you think will be cut? Will festivals like LuminaTO and NuitBlanche collapse from lack of support from City Hall?

Let's make some realistic predictions. Please discuss.

Not as bad as was predicted!

The first post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back