News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference in time between a show of hands and a recorded vote? Add up the time of all the councillors and staff in the chamber, the time to record it in the minutes and multiply by the number of unnecessary votes. That number = gravy by any definition.
Council used to have FAR fewer recorded votes. Ford got the Council rules changed to require them for virtually all votes - his idea was to ensure there was a record of who voted for what. What it does is to take FAR longer and to show that he remains a lone voice/vote.

BTW I watched the meeting today, for a while. Frances does seem more pleasant and Ford very confused.

They would vote for a commode running for mayor if it said it supports subways.

AoD

True.

They would vote for a cockroach if it's last name is Ford.

Ford Nation in a nutshell.

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
Council just approved an item without having to go through a recorded vote. Rob Ford not in the council chamber to demand a recorded vote
Don Peat
@reporterdonpeat
Council just approved the "Capital Variance Report" for first 9 months of 2014 with a show of hands rather than a recorded vote #TOpoli
Ann Hui @annhui
Without Rob Ford in the chamber to demand recorded votes, councillors are passing a whackload of motions w/ a simple show of hands #topoli

Last edited:
This recorded vote thing: So the difference is instead of a show of hands they press a button? Is that it?

This recorded vote thing: So the difference is instead of a show of hands they press a button? Is that it?

They also have to give people time to respond. It takes a lot longer when the vote is recorded rather than done by show of hands. The only real benefit of a recorded vote is that if it looks close by a show of hands, you can make certain of people's votes (If someone keeps putting their hand up and taking it down again, for example), or if you want to make sure that someone's on record for voting a particular way.

"We do know that he does have that $80,000" Denzil Minnan-Wong on Giorgio Mammoliti #TOpoli

Burn.

Ann Hui @annhui
Council has voted 32-6 against paying for Clr. Mammoliti's legal bills beyond the $20,000 allowed under current policy #topoli

And it is settled. Mammo has to pay is own way.

john lancaster @jlancasterCBC
Worth noting: Mammoliti was given opportunity to return 80gs, but he declined. #topoli

Last edited:
Screen shot 2014-12-11 at 5.03.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-12-11 at 5.03.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-12-11 at 5.03.02 PM.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 437
As in any political party.

I know TO does not have political parties, but FN is close to an unofficial opposition. Anyone in the bloodline can lead it.

Out of aprox. 70 mayoral candidates, only JT came out ahead of FN. I don't see anyone else on the horizon who could mount a serious challenge to FN in an election.

Doug barely managed to get a third of the vote while benefiting from the Ford incumbency effect. Regardless of what happens in 2018, the only incumbent then will be Tory, and so far no post-amalgamation mayor has failed to win re-election. Rob would have been the first had he stayed in the race. I think there is significant tendency to overrate the long-term staying power of Ford Nation, even aside from Rob's health issues and Doug's apparent exit from politics.

After all, in this past election, Doug only just managed to do better than Jane Pitfield in 2006. Who was talking about her in 2010? Four years is an eternity in politics, and at this point developer money and conservative types already have a guy in Tory.

Of course, either way, the exclusion of the left and the core generally provides more of a real opposition than Rob's typical 40-1 votes.

They would vote for a commode running for mayor if it said it supports subways.

Only if said commode told them those subways could be funded and operated by private sector funds, and that they could be built everywhere in only a year with no construction disruption whatsoever.

Council votes 41 to 2 to approve Cllr Kristyn Wong-Tam's gender equity lens for SmartTrack motion #TOpoli
Ford voted "no."
I do not know what is worse, the fact that such an idiotic motion would be tabled, or that it would pass.

Anyway, it is just another example of why City Hall is an embarrassment, and why the rest of the country makes fun of Toronto.

I do not know what is worse, the fact that such an idiotic motion would be tabled, or that it would pass.

Anyway, it is just another example of why City Hall is an embarrassment, and why the rest of the country makes fun of Toronto.

Actually things like women being able to request stop at night is the product of using a gendered lens to look at transportation and transportation planning. Who is the idiot now? And yes, always count on someone with a history of demeaning women to understand and vote in these things eh?

AoD

Last edited:
I wasn't really following council much pre-Ford, so I didn't realize that recorded vote on every item was his doing. Wow, recorded votes eat up a lot of time.

And you would think that if he was going to demand every vote be recorded that he and his idiot brother could at least vote without being called on by staff. Ridiculous the number of times I heard 'councillor Ford your vote please' or 'mayor Ford your vote please'.

And you would think that if he was going to demand every vote be recorded that he and his idiot brother could at least vote without being called on by staff. Ridiculous the number of times I heard 'councillor Ford your vote please' or 'mayor Ford your vote please'.

Theatrics - he want to make sure he get his name called and his vote known.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back