News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think opponents of Ford actually understand what lead to his victory and why he will likely be re-elected. He was a quotable fool, easily assailable as a buffoon, lacking the polished gleam of a Smitherman type before the last election campaign, yet was elected by a large margin. His numbers are still pretty high, he is the incumbent, and frankly, his base doesn't see him as having gotten off on a technicality... they see this as a vindication. Trying to oust him by all methods possible is only seen as persecution. Keep making him a Martyr and you almost guarantee his re-election.

His success is not based on his appeal to progressives and liberals, so attacking him for lacking those qualities isn't going to dent him. A fool you can relate to is always better than being talked down to by one you can't.

The longer this fool is going to be in office, the more Toronto's goose is cooked as a (self-proclaimed) world class city. People across the planet are going to be asking why a recall election can't be called, or for impeachment hearings to be started as in other parts of the planet (and in the United States.) Even if Ford really can't do anything as mayor anymore, this will still have an effect on Toronto and how Toronto's perceived as a city for quite a while (ask Christopher Hume how that is, and he'll tell you what it is while extolling the virtues of other cities in Scandinavia.) Any way you want to slice it, this is a setback for democracy, and for Toronto.

As for what one person said before about a test for mayoral candidates, that test should really be applied to voters, instead, with one portion (the most important part) dealing with civics.

When someone has a tendency to run afoul of the rules again and again, to what point shouldn't he be thrown out of office? I mean, those who propound to be tough on crime are less than hesitant to impose increased penalities on the basis of multiple transgressions afterall.

AoD

Hey, don't you know rules and regulations don't apply to the elites, silly? They only apply to the common folk.

Ford may have to pay a fine for overspending and borrowing family money, but he's not going to get tossed out of office for this campaign funding. He's already beat the conflict of interest charge (forget about the supreme court wasting their time on this). Chaleff-Freudenthaler will have to do better than this. And Foulidis will be a non-starter at the Supreme Court - the guy has a family history of fraudulent activity and isn't on the records of having any association with the Tuggs company.

Look folks, we're 634 days until election day on Monday October 27 2014. That's 1 year 8 months and 27 days from today. Toronto is 178 years old, I think we'll survive just fine.

Now, let's see if Ford wins in 2014. Then we'll see many here on UT dropping their i-whatever device and urbanista fair trade caffè macchiatos into their laps in disbelief. Us downtowners will be forever wondering what Toronto could have been like if amalgamation hadn't happened, thus stopping ignorant and angry Chris Farley types from the burbs interfering with our sophisticated urban lives.

I wouldn't mind if Ford wins in 2014, but I would certainly mind if he and the Federal-Provincial-Municipal Conservative campaign machine manage to replace some more centrist councillors with more right-leaning ones that are are eager to toe Ford's line.

Ford may have to pay a fine for overspending and borrowing family money, but he's not going to get tossed out of office for this campaign funding. He's already beat the conflict of interest charge (forget about the supreme court wasting their time on this). Chaleff-Freudenthaler will have to do better than this. And Foulidis will be a non-starter at the Supreme Court - the guy has a family history of fraudulent activity and isn't on the records of having any association with the Tuggs company.

Look folks, we're 634 days until election day on Monday October 27 2014. That's 1 year 8 months and 27 days from today. Toronto is 178 years old, I think we'll survive just fine.

Now, let's see if Ford wins in 2014. Then we'll see many here on UT dropping their i-whatever device and urbanista fair trade caffè macchiatos into their laps in disbelief. Us downtowners will be forever wondering what Toronto could have been like if amalgamation hadn't happened, thus stopping ignorant and angry Chris Farley types from the burbs interfering with our sophisticated urban lives.

Whatever...doesn't matter whether he gets kicked out of office or not anymore. The guy is toothless and irrelevant. Entertainment fodder for the next 1 year, 8 months and 27 days.

Whatever...doesn't matter whether he gets kicked out of office or not anymore. The guy is toothless and irrelevant. Entertainment fodder for the next 1 year, 8 months and 27 days.

But fodder that's making our city look weak, impotent, and incompetent in not getting rid of him. That's the rub, the acid test, and the whole shebang of it. How are we able to say that we're better than Chicago when we elect a buffoon as mayor and let a good mayor like Miller (who was loved by the rest of the world) go?

But fodder that's making our city look weak, impotent, and incompetent in not getting rid of him. That's the rub, the acid test, and the whole shebang of it. How are we able to say that we're better than Chicago when we elect a buffoon as mayor and let a good mayor like Miller (who was loved by the rest of the world) go?
I don't give a flying fig what the rest of the world thought of Miller. You wouldn't have Ford today if Miller hadn't angered so many people. Had Miller been a good mayor, Pants or another Millerite would have won to carry on the legacy. Myself, I was done with Miller after he couldn't bother leaving the beach to attend TFS' Chief David Sheen's funeral.

Petty unsuccessful attacks on Ford of the Adam CF variety may serve to reinforce beliefs that the left are nothing but crafters and enforcers of rules. Voters unimpressed with the overall direction of government may see this obsession with the rules as the way those (leftist) politicians retain power. Much like they might believe unions enforce strict work descriptions to pad paycheques and make everything inefficient and unaffordable. In contrast to those concentrating on spending limits and conflicts of interest, Ford looks like the doer, the person who ignores the nonsense beaucratic oversight because there are things that need to be done. Too much more of this and we hand Ford his "gravy train"/"downtown elite" rhetoric for 2014.

People across the planet are going to be asking why a recall election can't be called, or for impeachment hearings to be started as in other parts of the planet (and in the United States.)

The United States is part of the planet I live on, don't know about you. Could you give us some evidence that a significant number of people across the planet care about who is the mayor of Toronto? There are probably more Toronto residents who don't care

How are we able to say that we're better than Chicago when we elect a buffoon as mayor and let a good mayor like Miller (who was loved by the rest of the world) go?

Miller was loved by the rest of the world? I think you have mistaken him with a brand of beer.

Reading the details of the report most of the disputed 3% seem to relate to differences of opinion over what represents fair market value "FMV" and the auditor making some ridiculous conclusions such as this concerning the rental of an RV
There is indeed some stuff in the rules you wonder how one can possibly avoid doing wrong.

But there are some very clear rules, that either a complete an utter moron or someone very corrupt could break. You can't take corporate donations. Even if don't exceed your spending!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back