8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a war on the immigrant family?
Revoking the citizenship of a Canadian citizen and worse, deporting a Canadian-born person is the most aggressive anti-immigrant act seen in recent times. It’s like there was a war on the immigrant family.

It really casts a line between “old stock” Canadians and new Canadians, because it’s not just about people who willingly have dual citizenship but people whose country of origin (or their parent’s country of origin) may decide to recognize them as citizens whether they want that or not.

Of course it’s draped in the language of law and order, but think about it. Let’s take Jimmy the son of white Anglo-Saxon protestant parents whose family have been in Southern Ontario for five generations, and Deepak the Canadian-born son of a couple who moved here from Tanzania. Of Indian origin, they had been in that East African nation for two generations. If as teenagers Jimmy and Deepak fell in with the wrong crowd, and got into some bad trouble, Jimmy would get sent to jail, but Deepak could be deported to Africa or India.

So to look at this through a political lens and bring it home to Conservative Senators: Regardless of the crimes they may get convicted of, Senator Mike Duffy will never get deported to the British Isles, but Senator Don Meredith can get deported to Jamaica. Rob Ford would never get deported if he bought illicit drugs, but if his supplier was foreign born, he’s on his way. And that’s why this two-tiered citizenship is so dangerous and is getting many immigrant families very worried.
http://www.hilltimes.com/new-communications/2015/10/07/is-there-a-war-on-the-immigrant-family/43645

I lost some respect for the media that day when Ford was yelling at them to get off his property. Yes, there was a scandal. Yes, he wasn't answering questions. But his property is his property. That one guy with the camera that Ford directly yelled at, calling him "partner". What a dick. Just standing there. Then when they finally did get off his driveway and Ford was getting into his car, what did the media do? They went back onto his driveway.

But this is exactly the kind of celebrity "lifestyle" Ford aspired to, and that he so tirelessly worked towards in order to bring it about. (He's certainly put more efforts into exploiting his half-assed, freak show 'fame' than he ever did with the actual substance of his political career, i. e. governing or working.) This is what he wanted, and if it turned out that certain aspects weren't to the irresponsible oaf's liking, he has no one but himself to thank for it.

In the media's defence, Robbie if (in)famous for blurring the lines of public and private.

No fucking kidding. I'd be willing to bet that even in moments like the one mentioned above, Ford was still revelling in his so-called celebrity status. Screw him.

Random thought after watching some old news coverage. It was kind of inappropriate that media used to bum rush Ford at his house back in the day. You don't seem them doing that with any other politicians. Must've been scary for his kids.
I disagree. If he would have talked to the media at City Hall they wouldn't have had to follow him around. Had he cared about his kids he would have realized his behaviour is what caused the media to follow him around.

And besides, RoFo isn't any other politician by his own fault. If you want to create a sense of celebrity, live by that sword.

Besides, he had no issues with trotting out his wife and kids when the going get tough and use them as metaphorical human shields.

AoD

And besides, RoFo isn't any other politician by his own fault. If you want to create a sense of celebrity, live by that sword.

Besides, he had no issues with trotting out his wife and kids when the going get tough and use them as metaphorical human shields.

AoD

Yah, just how Robbie/Dougie moan about keeping things professional until they get caught, start losing an argument or feel they can get away with bullying; pretty well 98% of the time.

This ridiculous little episode with Fatass illegally keeping those signs in his office window, petty as it may be, is entirely indicative of the whole Ford "experience," wouldn't y'all say?
He really has no interest at all in serving the public, does he? When it comes to the Fords (with the possible exception of Mikey) it's all about self promotion, self aggrandizement and stroking Slob and Thug's already dangerously over-inflated egos.
I think he genuinely likes helping the little guys stick it to the system. But with the impulse control of a child that gets buried under all the other shit. And he won't do anything if it's too hard.

But this is exactly the kind of celebrity "lifestyle" Ford aspired to, and that he so tirelessly worked towards in order to bring it about. (He's certainly put more efforts into exploiting his half-assed, freak show 'fame' than he ever did with the actual substance of his political career, i. e. governing or working.) This is what he wanted, and if it turned out that certain aspects weren't to the irresponsible oaf's liking, he has no one but himself to thank for it.

No fucking kidding. I'd be willing to bet that even in moments like the one mentioned above, Ford was still revelling in his so-called celebrity status. Screw him.
Remember if was Rob who said the mayor is the mayor 24/7.

I disagree. If he would have talked to the media at City Hall they wouldn't have had to follow him around. Had he cared about his kids he would have realized his behaviour is what caused the media to follow him around.

If he had cared about his wife, he wouldn't have dragged her through a crowd of press (after his pussy-related apology speech) rather than take the back door.

Yah, just how Robbie/Dougie moan about keeping things professional until they get caught, start losing an argument or feel they can get away with bullying; pretty well 98% of the time.
When Robbie would do or say the most outrageous stuff then drag out the wife or kids to hide behind, Dougie'd jump in afterward and beg the press to "respect" their family. Respect of course being a concept the FoBros have never understood or granted anybody else..

When Robbie would do or say the most outrageous stuff then drag out the wife or kids to hide behind, Dougie'd jump in afterward and beg the press to "respect" their family. Respect of course being a concept the FoBros have never understood or granted anybody else..

It's the same with RoFo's wilful blurring of the line between personal and professional. Criticize him for some behaviour that reflects poorly on his job performance and suddenly 'It's personal!'. But he wielded his mayoral power to take care of personal matters.

I think he genuinely likes helping the little guys stick it to the system. But with the impulse control of a child that gets buried under all the other shit. And he won't do anything if it's too hard.
I don't think he gives a shit about any "little guys" other than the mythologized Ford Nationals. He likes the little guys that respond supportively when No Rules Robbie acts not like the Chief Magistrate but like a major league A-hole.

Robbie's the only "little guy" he gives a toss about.

Last edited:
I don't think he gives a shit about any "little guys" other than the mythologized Ford Nationals. He likes the little guys that respond supportively when No Rules Robbie acts not like the Chief Magistrate but like a major league A-hole.

Robbie's the only "little guy" he gives a toss about.
I didn't say he cares about the little guys - I said he likes helping little guys stick it to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back