8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Towhey’s Uncontrollable an unsatisfying fix for Ford junkies
Kevin Donovan offers his take on Mark Towhey’s account of working for Ford.
While at times Towhey provides a unique look at battleground Ford, his book lacks the suspense and pacing of the single best account of the Ford escapades (more on that below). That’s because so much of what Towhey writes about is already in the public domain.
[...]
When Towhey’s tale eventually gets into the issues readers will be looking for — drinking, lewd behaviour, crack — they will see that Towhey, the trusted adviser, was faced with a fair number of uncomfortable situations. While he tried to help and control Ford behind the scenes, he never went public, even though he had information that, arguably, the public and the police should have.
[...]
Towhey’s book is certainly worth reading for those who want to glean every bit of information possible from the Ford story. For my money, though, the most gripping account of many of the Ford shenanigans was written by Toronto police Det. Const. Ali Nader Khoshbooi, the “affiant” who swore out the 465-page affidavit to obtain search warrant in the Sandro Lisi investigation that intersected at so many points with Ford’s escapades. First “published” in 2013, reprinted many times on the web, that text offers a serious behind-the-scenes look at key parts of the Ford years.
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...ble-an-unsatisfying-fix-for-ford-junkies.html

Welcome back to the thread that never ends! I don't understand the legal process but what I was told was that cops felt that had a strong case to press a variety of charges. But each time they'd take it to the Crown they'd say no, we need more. They kept going and going and were never able to come up with anything that would stick.

That's sort of what I heard too. The Crown was at times eager to move ahead, at other times pulling back. It's as if some prosecutors knew that there was enough to charge him, while others were being told to back off.

The TPS always felt that there were enough leads to continue pursuing the investigation (hence the large amount of resources expended). Evidence of this is that judges repeatedly granted warrants to continue surveillance. Meanwhile, the OPP said they saw no evidence to charge Ford with. How can two police forces hold such wildly differing opinions?

The point of my intervention into this thread is that Blair is the one who consistently pushed to have Ford investigated and charged — and he now has real power to override any resistance that might've prevented him from doing so.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...-an-honest-take-on-former-mayor-rob-ford.html

"In his new book The Only Average Guy, Filion has brought keen observation, high emotional intelligence and — given the widespread fear the Fords still evoke — a commendable frankness to addressing those questions."

After reading this article I do agree with the above quote, and I actually feel sorry for Ford because he must hate being himself and probably hates his family on one level. His father really sounds like he was a piece of work.

And re the still-active possibility of Ford being charged: may I reiterate what I've said in the still-Ford-mayoralty past--cancer or no cancer, any forthcoming charges could well be for offences not yet committed, or at least not yet revealed (though maybe *inferred* through such things as Towhey's blabber mouth).

For what it's worth Donovan's despised Towhey ever since the Garrison Ball story.

KD would write an awesome Ford book! He has stuff on Rob and Renata, Doug, Price, and Sandro that others don't.
donovan writing a book would be awesome!

is that something you think he would do?

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...-an-honest-take-on-former-mayor-rob-ford.html

"In his new book The Only Average Guy, Filion has brought keen observation, high emotional intelligence and — given the widespread fear the Fords still evoke — a commendable frankness to addressing those questions."

After reading this article I do agree with the above quote, and I actually feel sorry for Ford because he must hate being himself and probably hates his family on one level. His father really sounds like he was a piece of work.
i agree that filion's book is probably the most 'scientific' look at ford... but i still can't feel sorry for him. lots of people have harsh childhoods, but once you're an adult, who you are is your responsibility, and many people overcome those childhoods... instead of continually inflicting dysfunction on so many, including themselves.

And re the still-active possibility of Ford being charged: may I reiterate what I've said in the still-Ford-mayoralty past--cancer or no cancer, any forthcoming charges could well be for offences not yet committed, or at least not yet revealed (though maybe *inferred* through such things as Towhey's blabber mouth).
i wonder why there hasn't been any articles about the cost of the investigation. makes me think there isn't a total cost yet 'cause it's still ongoing... and if so, yeah, chances are you could catch ford doing something eventually. but what do they think they might catch him doing that would be worth whatever the total cost will end up being?

Is there any reason though why a sinister something would have to be delivered in the middle of the day every weekday? Sadly, I find the idea that Rob believed that delivering Stephanie a sandwich for lunch every day was urgent and necessary very plausible. If Renata was unable or unwilling to prepare a lunch, and/or Stephanie was picky and didn't want to take a packed lunch, I can see Rob hitting upon this as the best solution. (I may be biased because my sister-in-law appears to frequently call my mother with last minute requests to either prepare or buy lunch for my niece at school and then spend at least 40 minutes delivering it, and this sounds exactly the same to me. I would be curious to know whether the sandwich runs started out as planned or were originally "emergencies" that just became standard practice.)

I don't think he intends to be a bad parent, and within the limits of his ability he probably errs on the side of indulgence. Stephanie not wanting a packed lunch either seemed reasonable to him or he couldn't figure out how to insist that she learn to live with it.

Either because he's cheap or because he (or Renata; if he isn't always living at home that might have more weight) doesn't want a stranger in the house, he doesn't conceive of hiring some kind of childcare service to attend to Stephanie's needs.

You're probably right. It's likely nothing more than one or more of the following factors:

1) Stephanie being spoiled/picky
2) Rob scoring points for being an awesome/borderline responsible dad for arranging daily delivery
3) lack of responsible adults in the household who can plan ahead, shop for groceries & make sure lunches are made in advance
4) Rob being cheap/thinking that he's frugal and assuming that a purchased and delivered sandwich is cheaper/better value than one made at home, just because it has the appearance of being more convenient
5) Rob or Renata just not being on the ball enough to manage to pack a lunch the night before on a regular basis

wow...
Rob Ford’s father, the great patriarch, did not attend his victory parties in 2000 and 2003. He did not canvass for his son. Acccording to what Filion learned, Doug Sr. didn’t even vote for his youngest child, and told him that. “How hurtful must that have been?”

i wonder if doug sr told rob why it was that he didn't vote for him.

from the same article... i love how rob doesn't see that he was the one that got himself...
The day city council reduced Ford to a figurehead, he told his staff: “The bastards got me.” Then he put his head on the table and cried. “Great, heaving sobs,” Filion writes. “It was the only sound in the room for what seemed an unbearably long time.” As Sheila Paxton explained it: “Nobody else cried.”

i'm so surprised fabio actually spoke with filion...
Filion also spoke with some of Rob Ford’s childhood friends. Fabio Basso, who in 2013 hosted Rob Ford’s crack smoking video in his home, remembers that Rob was a generous kid who threw big, open parties in the family home.
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...-attempts-to-explain-the-rob-ford-phenomenon/

i gotta highlight this part of the article too...
Kouvalis said he asked for a meeting with the family on Nov. 27, 2012, the day after a provincial court judge had ordered Ford removed from office. Kouvalis gathered the family together because he had heard about Ford’s drug and alcohol problems. According to the account, Kouvalis tried to bring Doug into the conversation after Diane Ford refused to believe it.

When Doug confirmed that he’d heard the same stories from credible sources, Kouvalis reports that Diane told her son: “Stop. All you care about is being the mayor yourself. This is all about you guys plotting against Robbie.”

Kouvalis tried to convince the family that Rob’s behaviour would impact the family business and embarrass Diane. She told him to leave and not come back.

and this...
Paxton also described her secondary role in the office as a chauffeur for Ford’s wife Renata back and forth from medical and counselling appointments. She brought Renata to City Hall on the day that Ford held a press conference to address his comments and later pushed through a crowd of television cameras with Renata in tow.

Paxton described the scene before the news conference, in which Doug angrily accused Renata of not controlling his brother and then told Rob that he was going to rehab.

You're probably right. It's likely nothing more than one or more of the following factors:

1) Stephanie being spoiled/picky
2) Rob scoring points for being an awesome/borderline responsible dad for arranging daily delivery
3) lack of responsible adults in the household who can plan ahead, shop for groceries & make sure lunches are made in advance
4) Rob being cheap/thinking that he's frugal and assuming that a purchased and delivered sandwich is cheaper/better value than one made at home, just because it has the appearance of being more convenient
5) Rob or Renata just not being on the ball enough to manage to pack a lunch the night before on a regular basis

It's all of the above, but I think 3 and 5 are the most likely answers. Well planned and balanced meals are generally not part of a party lifestyle.

wow...

i wonder if doug sr told rob why it was that he didn't vote for him.

from the same article... i love how rob doesn't see that he was the one that got himself...

Because to the Fords, it's always someone else's fault.

Some fascinating stuff in Fillion's book by the sounds of it. All of this stuff makes Robbie seem like an even bigger a-hole than I imagined.

You'd think at his age he'd of outgrown all of his daddy issues. That said my father in law is the same way. Acts like a huge a-hole, screaming and insulting everyone. My wife says it's all because his family favoured his brother growing up. Like, get over it!

i wonder why there hasn't been any articles about the cost of the investigation. makes me think there isn't a total cost yet 'cause it's still ongoing... and if so, yeah, chances are you could catch ford doing something eventually. but what do they think they might catch him doing that would be worth whatever the total cost will end up being?

Well, a little thing can lead to a domino effect, not unlike Al Capone's fate.

Though given what we've been talking about the past number of pages, wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the kids. (Or not. Who knows, at this rate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back