News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed that a corporate name is attached to Chicago's bicycle station: McDonald’s Cycle Center. Wonder what the rights cover. Rob seems to think that Chicago is better than Toronto, but when Toronto wants to do something similar, and at a lower price tag, it is rejected because it does not benefit his use of his car.

[video=vimeo;13309023]http://vimeo.com/13309023[/video]

Wonder what are chances are that the Ford brothers' company, Deco Labels and Tags, would put the company name on Toronto possible bike station? Likely, NONE!

Last edited:
There is merit to that. If you want 'equal' rights as a motorist, it comes with equal responsibility.

So if you want to drive a car in the same streets and highways used by trucks everyone should have a truck-driving permit? Equal rights come with equal responsibilities, no?

Cars and drivers need licensing because they kill around 40 pedestrians in this city every year, and seriously injure over 2,000 of them. Cars and drivers need licensing because over 2,000 cyclists are struck by cars in Toronto every year - with fatalities at around 10 people every year. Cars and drivers require licensing because around 80 people die in car accidents every year, with over 15,000 serious accidents and up to 24,000 people seriously injured or crippled. Cars kill and seriously injure more people than guns every year in Toronto.

Those numbers represent the casualties and collateral damage of a heavily regulated and licensed form of transportation. Imagine if we didn't license it?!

Cyclists meanwhile, who make up 10% of downtown commuters, unprotected and unlicensed, hit something like 2 pedestrians last year in Toronto. The one pedestrian who was killed a while ago was on a sidewalk, and the family members of that person didn't raise charges, instead declaring to the press:

"We'd really like to see a separate bicycle lane built"

John Tory is an alright candidate, but he is no Bloomberg.

Cyclists meanwhile, who make up 10% of downtown commuters...
10%? The 2006 census showed that less than 20,000 people rode to work in the entire city, let alone downtown. There's about 450,000 jobs downtown. Assuming that 100% of the bicylists are downtown (which I don't believe), then it's less than 5%.

Cars and drivers need licensing because they kill around 40 pedestrians in this city every year, and seriously injure over 2,000 of them. Cars and drivers need licensing because over 2,000 cyclists are struck by cars in Toronto every year - with fatalities at around 10 people every year. Cars and drivers require licensing because around 80 people die in car accidents every year, with over 15,000 serious accidents and up to 24,000 people seriously injured or crippled. Cars kill and seriously injure more people than guns every year in Toronto.

Those numbers represent the casualties and collateral damage of a heavily regulated and licensed form of transportation. Imagine if we didn't license it?!
From the logic you offer I guess the lack of licences would mean no one would be killed or injured.

From the logic you offer I guess the lack of licences would mean no one would be killed or injured.

Actually, by your logic it would mean that pedestrians will need to be licensed as well - and I thought you're not a believer of bureaucracy.

AoD

So what you are really suggesting is that guns should not be licensed. ;)

Cyclists meanwhile, who make up 10% of downtown commuters, unprotected and unlicensed, hit something like 2 pedestrians last year in Toronto.

Hate to sound like the Harper government, but that's 2 'reported' incidents. I was hit by a cyclist last summer, but wasn't hurt that bad, so I didn't waste my time reporting anything - and how can you when they have no licenses (plates) and can give you any name and address they feel like.

I'm mixed on this bike thing in NPS. It's a good idea, but it's unfair to compare to Chicago's and I'm not sure it's the proper place for one in TO.

1. Chicago's is in a park by the waterfront and trails. Ours will be in City hall - is there even any bike lanes feeding into City Hall?
2. Chicago's also has a police detachment (with 400 bikes there according to the video provided by WK Lis), not sure whether ours will, but it's a good use of space for the public and the police with that config.

Wouldn't it make more sense for us to put ours at that new Canada Square or somewhere else by the waterfront to leverage the MG trail as well? It seems to me they're just tacking it on to the NPS reno's because they can. With more thought they may find a more suitable location in downtown.

Last edited:
Hate to sound like the Harper government, but that's 2 'reported' incidents. I was hit by a cyclist last summer, but wasn't hurt that bad, so I didn't waste my time reporting anything - and how can you when they have no licenses (plates) and can give you any name and address they feel like.

And pretty much everyone I know has been hit by a car while on their bikes and not reported it to police after.

Just last week my girlfriends' co-worker was actually run over by a car (as a pedestrian), and even though she had to go to the hospital she didn't report it to police. The car sped away.

Reported cases are a fair way of evaluating serious incidents and collisions.

Requiring cyclists to carry an ID (of any kind) on them would be an OK compromise for me. Licensing them is silly and costly.

nfitz said:
10%? The 2006 census showed that less than 20,000 people rode to work in the entire city, let alone downtown. There's about 450,000 jobs downtown. Assuming that 100% of the bicylists are downtown (which I don't believe), then it's less than 5%.

I meant downtown residents (including commutes that take them beyond downtown)

The 2006 census was, well... in 2006... rates have increased substantially since. Having worked with people who analysed its data for cycling purposes, I can tell you it doesn't actually offer a very accurate representation of cycling patterns in the city.

The number downtown is actually 7% using a survey methodology that is still bound to underestimate the number of cyclists (it doesn't consider areas west of bathurst, such as WQW, or the islands - where cycling rates are incredibly high). This is from a 2011 City of Toronto survey.

You can see the results here:

http://www.toronto.ca/opreview/pdf/living_in_downtown_and_the_centres.pdf

spider and glen,

Seriously?

Last edited:

I'm mixed on this bike thing in NPS. It's a good idea, but it's unfair to compare to Chicago's and I'm not sure it's the proper place for one in TO.

1. Chicago's is in a park by the waterfront and trails. Ours will be in City hall - is there even any bike lanes feeding into City Hall?
2. Chicago's also has a police detachment (with 400 bikes there according to the video provided by WK Lis), not sure whether ours will, but it's a good use of space for the public and the police with that config.

Wouldn't it make more sense for us to put ours at that new Canada Square or somewhere else by the waterfront to leverage the MG trail as well? It seems to me they're just tacking it on to the NPS reno's because they can. With more thought they may find a more suitable location in downtown.

City Hall is a great choice for this. It's right in the heart of the city, offices all around. As far as your questioning whether or not there are bike lanes to/around city hall, why should that matter? Most of the city doesn't have bike lanes. Cyclists have to get around to the various parts of the city the same as any citizen.

City Hall is a great choice for this. It's right in the heart of the city, offices all around. As far as your questioning whether or not there are bike lanes to/around city hall, why should that matter? Most of the city doesn't have bike lanes. Cyclists have to get around to the various parts of the city the same as any citizen.

The Ford administration wants the bicycles to stick to the river valley trails, not bike lanes. So how about putting bicycle paths along Taddle Creek, Russell Creek, and Garrison Creek? If not, how about the nearest streets to them? Hmmmm...

taddlekey.jpg

Garsnkey.jpg

Attachments

• taddlekey.jpg
    taddlekey.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Garsnkey.jpg
    Garsnkey.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 216
So if you want to drive a car in the same streets and highways used by trucks everyone should have a truck-driving permit? Equal rights come with equal responsibilities, no?

Cyclists meanwhile, who make up 10% of downtown commuters, unprotected and unlicensed, hit something like 2 pedestrians last year in Toronto. The one pedestrian who was killed a while ago was on a sidewalk, and the family members of that person didn't raise charges, instead declaring to the press:

"We'd really like to see a separate bicycle lane built"

John Tory is an alright candidate, but he is no Bloomberg.

That gives me a good idea. Maybe we can add tolls to the existing bike lanes to build new ones and to build a bike storage facility.

Photos of the McDonald's Cycle Center in Chicago (this website tags the budget as $3 million). Video. Why would we not want such a thing in our city? And as fans of Chicago, you'd think the Ford Bros. would want to emulate it.

Website for McDonald's Cycle Center.

I think you must have posted the wrong link. This shows a structure at street level wheras Toronto, I thought, was talking about something in the 4th floor basement.

I wonder how many woman would be comfortable having a shower at an isolated facility located in the bowels of the parking garage. Does the $1.2M include the legal costs after Toronto is sued, and does it include the 2 staff that will then have to be there 24 hours a days to ensure client safety.

Put in a couple of bike racks and you're done. Maybe lease out a few spots of space in case a bike repair guy wants to set up. If I am not mistaken, City Hall already has some showers - so just use those.

That gives me a good idea. Maybe we can add tolls to the existing bike lanes to build new ones and to build a bike storage facility.

You are aware that we subsidise drivers, cars, and suburban roads/utilities more than we subsidise anything else in this country, right?

You do realise that removing current subsidies to suburban drivers living beyond their means would lead to a smaller more efficient and fiscally responsible government, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back