8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen shot 2016-03-23 at 4.49.05 PM.png

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...e-in-state-at-city-hall-ahead-of-funeral.html

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-23 at 4.49.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-23 at 4.49.05 PM.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 536
Or was Rob really more of a mirror where 'Ford Nation' could see themselves and it wasn't charisma at all, but rather an insanely lucky average Joe that hit triple 777 on the slots?

This is probably the case. He was a symbol and very effective avatar of a segment of the city's anger, frustration and perceived slights. Without that perfectly placed locus of rage, there would likely not have been a Ford mayoralty. Now, without that person around whom they could coalesce, the whole Ford Nation phenomenon will, in all probability, dissipate as a political force. Until someone who has learned RFs lessons well emerges and can re-energize it.

Is Peter Leon still available?

Seriously, Ward 2 has had no useful representation at city hall for more than five years now. I'd love to see city hall appoint someone if only to keep the spectre of Doug away. He obviously hated being councillor - well, he avoided actually doing anything for the "good, honest, hardworking people" of Ward 2. And why would Doug run again? Why would Mama Bear push him? He lost the mayoral election even with the full aura of ailing St Rob of Etobicokus. He certainly won't win in 2018.

Curious. Did Doug Ford, as Councillor for Ward 2, handle phone calls and problems in Ward 2 the same way as Rob Ford did? Or did he pass them off to Rob or 311?

Rob voted against having a 311 service, saying that was the job of the Councillor to do. Now that there is no one as Councillor, having a 311 service is needed... until his replacement.

From Toronto Sun, at this link:

Rob Ford funeral on Wednesday

Schedule

Monday, March 28, 2016

9:00 AM Councillor Ford and his family will arrive at City Hall, where he will lie in repose

10:00 AM City Hall will be open for members of the public to pay their respects to the Councillor and his family

6:00 PM City Hall will close for the day

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

7:30 AM City Hall will be open for members of the public to pay their respects to the Councillor and his family

9:30 PM City Hall will close for the day, and Councillor Ford and his family will depart

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

10:30 AM Procession starting at Toronto City Hall, and ending at St James Cathedral (65 Church St) where the funeral service will be held

- Route information to follow at a later time
12:00 PM Funeral services at St James Cathedral

1:00 PM Funeral services conclude, Councillor Ford and his family will depart to lay him to rest - Private Ceremony

6:30 PM The Ford Family welcomes members of the public to join them at the Toronto Congress Centre (650 Dixon Rd) for a celebration of Councillor Ford's life

9:00 PM Celebration concludes​

The family wishes to also thank the Mayor for allowing Councillor Ford to lie in repose at City Hall.

The family asks that members of the public send short (under 10 seconds) video clips talking about their experiences with Councillor Ford, along with pictures, which will be compiled into montages to be played at his celebration of life. Files can be e-mailed directly to, or shared with, robfordmemorial@gmail.com

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made in his honour to the Ford-Panov research panel at Mount Sinai Hospital​

Last edited:
Curious. Did Doug Ford, as Councillor for Ward 2, handle phone calls and problems in Ward 2 the same way as Rob Ford did? Or did he pass them off to Rob or 311?

Rob voted against having a 311 service, saying that was the job of the Councillor to do. Now that there is no one as Councillor, having a 311 service is needed... until his replacement.
Doug did fuck all as councillor except act as muscle for his brother and lobby for DECO clients.

What animatronic said. When I was canvassing in Ward 2 for Andray, against first Mikey and then Rob, I heard a fair few people praising Rob but no one voluntarily offered any similar praise for Doug. That's just my own anecdotal evidence. We also researched Doug's activities as councillor, which were shockingly few and only to the benefit of residents in the more affluent parts of the Ward. He did nothing for the lower-income residents except the time he waved $20 bills around at a TCHC property. And that's not counting his disgraceful tirade against autistic teens.

Here is the storify we created at the time. I've shared it here before, but it's a pretty good summary about the neglect of those "honest, good, hardworking folk" that Doug so loves to bellow about.

https://storify.com/AndrayForWard2/the-ward-the-fords-forgot

How soon before Doug announces that Mikey is going to run for Rob's old seat? Before or after the funeral on Wednesday?

Wait, what? I don't get your answer to my question at all. Your link to Mr. Tindal's column was a quasi-answer (Rob flattered Tindal by remembering a few facts about him in the context of that election, and the well-known trope 'he answered people's calls' has been bandied about a zillion times.

But neither of those things should put you under a spell. None of those types of things should make you want to lie down on hot coals so he can use you for a bridge. That's the part that I struggle with -- where did this 'charisma' come from? Do people manufacture it themselves? Or was Rob really more of a mirror where 'Ford Nation' could see themselves and it wasn't charisma at all, but rather an insanely lucky average Joe that hit triple 777 on the slots?
Who said anything about being put under a spell?? Is there really no middle ground for you between 100% pure, unadulterated hate and "laying down on hot coals" for someone? How about 95% hate and 5% "hehe, okay... cool, whatever"? Tindal appreciated a few half-decent qualities (notice: I didn't say "good" -- I sure as HELL didn't say "redeeming" qualities) about Ford and suddenly he's a convert to Ford Nation? Hardly. Come on, man; being this binary is not good for the soul. Acknowledging a tiny bit of your enemy's humanity will not instantly turn you into a pushover or a sucker.

I just caught a glimpse of CP24 and the ticker read "Ford Memorial Continues to Grow" as the featured a close-up of flowers in the park. It slowly panned out and just as it was about to reveal the modest amount of flowers it abruptly cut away. Guess they're going to try to run with this for awhile longer.

The chalk memorial has not exactly gone viral. About 60 people in line now to sign the condolence book.

Well, to be fair, people are spreading their tribute efforts over multiple places: the Ford park, the condolence book, the chalk memorial, so no single one looks substantial. There could be other memorial sites; has anyone checked Steak Queen? Windsor Drive? ;)

Who said anything about being put under a spell?? Is there really no middle ground for you between 100% pure, unadulterated hate and "laying down on hot coals" for someone? How about 95% hate and 5% "hehe, okay... cool, whatever"? Tindal appreciated a few half-decent qualities (notice: I didn't say "good" -- I sure as HELL didn't say "redeeming" qualities) about Ford and suddenly he's a convert to Ford Nation? Hardly. Come on, man; being this binary is not good for the soul. Acknowledging a tiny bit of your enemy's humanity will not instantly turn you into a pushover or a sucker.

Twice now you've completely misinterpreted my remarks and question re: Ford and his so-called charisma. I have not spoken about his 'humanity' or his being a good/bad guy personally or his drugs or his family. You just need to stop.

I was, and continue to be, completely baffled by the supposed 'charisma' of the man. That is, and there is ample evidence of it, that he, personally, and without benefit of a compelling political position nor rhetorical skills, was able to generate a personality cult. It was an amazing thing. I'd like someone to explain it to me. You're obviously not going to be the person that does.

So here's a question for you -- what's wrong with my attitude towards Ford and Ford Nation? As opposed to PinkLucy's or adma's or others? What get up your nose so much about the fact that I just can't conceive of Ford Nation, and yet it existed? Why does it infuriate you so that I'm asking a question about the source of the Ford personality cult?

Well, to be fair, people are spreading their tribute efforts over multiple places: the Ford park, the condolence book, the chalk memorial, so no single one looks substantial. There could be other memorial sites; has anyone checked Steak Queen? Windsor Drive? ;)

I hear the folks at 15 Windsor have 3 for 2 special with the third rock going to Kathy in lieu of donations to ....

I hear the folks at 15 Windsor have 3 for 2 special with the third rock going to Kathy in lieu of donations to ....

And yet I do wonder which lowlifes have just lost their protected status ... besides Dro. Or in my more crime novelly thoughts, if anyone is going to try a spot of blackmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back