8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst

The coverage Maclean’s gave to Rob Ford (“The meaning of Rob Ford,” National, April 11) literally made me take two Gravols. Ford’s wife was photographed bruised. Ford was a drunk who drove drunk. Ford was a raging misogynist and racist homophobe who thought himself funny. Ford is today referred to as “profoundly human.” I’d say he was an embarrassment who personified the worst of humanity.

Mendelson Joe, Emsdale, Ont.

I miss Mendelson Joe's letters to the editor. He was always on point.

This just always takes me to your post....
It's not like the old forum where clicking on the link with "new post" at the end literally took you to the newest post. I subscribe to this thread so I get an email with the link to the newest post and if I don't click on it or go to the forum, I don't get any new alerts. So your best bet is to subscribe to the thread and click on the link in your most recent email.

This is on City Council's agenda tomorrow.

CC18.2—Declaring the Office of Councillor, Ward 2–Etobicoke North Vacant and Deciding the Method to Fill the Vacancy​

Prepare yourselves for a Doug eruption, since it's probably the only reason he's even in town.

It's an affront to democracy!!

It would be hilarious if they appoint a left winger to that ward.

It's an affront to democracy!! It would be hilarious if they appoint a left winger to that ward.

The first time I watched the appointment process in action, they appointed Peter Leon in Etobicoke. A right-winger, sure, but an excellent choice.

The next time, there were two seats up for grabs: downtown got their lefty, and the suburbs got their righty.

All in all, in my brief experience, the appointment process appears to work: the applicants present themselves to Council, they're questioned, and the voting—unlike an actual election—progresses until one of them receives a clear majority.

Name recognition doesn't matter so much as accomplishments and demeanour, and it saves the city a few hundred thousand dollars.

It's an affront to democracy!!

It would be hilarious if they appoint a left winger to that ward.
Worse, appoint a centrist. Dougie's head would spin at the speed of sound with the prospect of a "flip-flopper" in charge of things.

Not just stuffed, but if you press his belly he goes all Singin' Santa on you.

Then again, never mind taxidermy...

I don't think we knew about the flag. I'm surprised they didn't want him stuffed and kept on permanent display.

"Rob Ford’s family pushed for open casket, Ford Nation flag at city hall"

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...pen-casket-ford-nation-flag-at-city-hall.html

So much class, small miracle they didn't roll em out to NPS for the open casket selfie on the day of his funeral. Oh yeah the vanity Ford Nation flag - nice touch. Let's face it, the Ford family is nothing short of trailer trash with disposable capital, loud, gaudy and willing to twist the truth if it suits them.

I don't think we knew about the flag. I'm surprised they didn't want him stuffed and kept on permanent display.

"Rob Ford’s family pushed for open casket, Ford Nation flag at city hall"

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...pen-casket-ford-nation-flag-at-city-hall.html

There's a precedent - Jeremy Bentham, the English philosopher and educator, died in 1832 leaving instructions for his body to be dissected, and then permanently preserved as an "auto-icon" (or self-image), which would be his memorial. The auto-icon continues to be on public display at University College London, propped up in a box and appropriately clothed - a key part of the welcome tour for new students and visitors. Every few years it is "restored" to stop the whole thing falling apart.

bentham.jpg

Attachments

• bentham.jpg
    bentham.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 680
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back