8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reflecting on this.

Y'know, when 7-11 first started popping up in Toronto c1980, I could "get" the appeal of Slurpees (and I "knew of them" going back to my first trip to Florida in 1972: TV commercials et al). Who can resist the intense psychedelic buzz of a frosty drink? But Big Gulps, I could *not* "get"--like, what were they? Just regular soft drinks with ice in a large plastic cup. Compared to the intensity of a Slurpee, the concept of a Big Gulp just seemed...inert. What's the point?

Maybe it's a point-of-origin thing; Slurpees date back to 1967, Big Gulps to 1976. Kind of like going from Psych into Sloth--1976 marking an approximate dawn for the Listless White Trash era. Which brings us back to RoFo: Big Gulps as mother's milk for peabrained morons. Slurpees never lost their edge; Big Gulps never had an edge to begin with. (Myself, if I wanted extra-large sugary drinks, a family-sized bottle of cola in the fridge would do. Big Gulps just felt like a waste, and Super Big Gulps were just too big altogether--at least bottled colas had tops that could be snapped back on, or if not that, everybody had one of those metal bottle-stoppers back in the pre-screw-on era. Whereas if you had a Super Big Gulp and couldn't take it all in one sitting, you were skunked.)
Ya, the largest Big Gulp is SO MANY calories. Ford used to have several of those a day.

She sent an email to her bosses saying not to write an article. That's why there was no obit. Yet Worms was barking like he knew it all already.

Just another illustration of why Worms is both unscrupulous and a colossal moron. He somehow knew that his 'friend', the one he had never ever mentioned or interacted with on Twitter before, must have taken her life because of something truly awful and corrupt happening at the Star - you know, that paper that unearthed the rottenness of the Ford mayoralty, doing citizens a service and actually engaging in journalism while the Sun regurgitated fawning puff pieces scripted by Doug Ford and unquestioningly backed the FoFam's lies on everything from the 'non-existent' crack tape to Daniel Dale standing on an invisible cinder block.

I've been reflecting on this.

Y'know, when 7-11 first started popping up in Toronto c1980, I could "get" the appeal of Slurpees (and I "knew of them" going back to my first trip to Florida in 1972: TV commercials et al). Who can resist the intense psychedelic buzz of a frosty drink? But Big Gulps, I could *not* "get"--like, what were they? Just regular soft drinks with ice in a large plastic cup. Compared to the intensity of a Slurpee, the concept of a Big Gulp just seemed...inert. What's the point?

Maybe it's a point-of-origin thing; Slurpees date back to 1967, Big Gulps to 1976. Kind of like going from Psych into Sloth--1976 marking an approximate dawn for the Listless White Trash era. Which brings us back to RoFo: Big Gulps as mother's milk for peabrained morons. Slurpees never lost their edge; Big Gulps never had an edge to begin with. (Myself, if I wanted extra-large sugary drinks, a family-sized bottle of cola in the fridge would do. Big Gulps just felt like a waste, and Super Big Gulps were just too big altogether--at least bottled colas had tops that could be snapped back on, or if not that, everybody had one of those metal bottle-stoppers back in the pre-screw-on era. Whereas if you had a Super Big Gulp and couldn't take it all in one sitting, you were skunked.)

I think the Big Gulp and the rise of the supersized soft drink in general is all about the perception of value. The illusion of value, more accurately. A big cup is already pretty cheap, but hey, a gargantuan one for just a little more, relatively speaking, seems like a huge bargain, a bulk discount. In reality, the cost of pop to the retailer is already incredibly low - way, way less than the price charged to the customer - a profit margin in the hundreds of percent. Fast-food outlets, movie theatre concessions and convenience store chains make more profit on cups of pop than almost anything else.

Big Gulps and Rob Ford are all about the appearance of being smart/careful with money while making an unnecessarily large purchase whose real cost is hidden.

So Gawker's filing for bankruptcy. Ford Nation, rejoice!

Yeah, and they thought the Star was losing money when the Star Touch guy lost his job ... PostMedia are circling the drain, Worms has no meal ticket anymore and no one's going to buy SAL's book. No wonder they want to get dirt on the Star.

So Gawker's filing for bankruptcy. Ford Nation, rejoice!
Not a peep yet, I think they are just lying around in repose and waiting to hear from the Wonder Twins and Gleek. :)

Last edited:
Warmington "wrote" a column about a gun that police found. I didn't read it but he made it sound like an assault rifle but people commented on it saying it was a glorified bb gun made to look like something worse.

Trump is following so closely in Rob's footprints it's actually scary. Now he's cut off the Washington Post, because he doesn't like what they write about him. He's also smearing Obama with the same kind of "read between the lines" statements that Rob made about Daniel Dale.
With Dale in the U.S. covering this election, he must think he's watching Ground Hog Day 2016.

Trump is following so closely in Rob's footprints it's actually scary. Now he's cut off the Washington Post, because he doesn't like what they write about him. He's also smearing Obama with the same kind of "read between the lines" statements that Rob made about Daniel Dale.
With Dale in the U.S. covering this election, he must think he's watching Ground Hog Day 2016.
Groundhog day indeed. He has had such an amazing career with the Ford era and now this insanity in the US. Going from the Ali funeral to Orlando and who knows what else is to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back