News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having his most loyal supporters continue to make excuses for him is exactly what he does NOT need right now, and could lead to his self destruction far quicker than any cell phone video ever could. He needs to know that making mistakes is part of being human, and that he should be fortunate that there are people who care about him no matter what happens.

If you think he's actually going to take a lesson away from this, you're giving him too much credit. The man doesn't give a shit, and I won't be surprised if he doesn't resign should the video see the light of day. There's no unimpeachable evidence in his mind (even a well-lit HD video) so he can deny all he wants and get away with it - that's how he seems to have operated his entire life and he has continued it as Mayor. He's going to just keep digging his heels in and/or ignoring it. So long as the defense of "It's fake - it wasn't me. I don't know who it is, but it isn't me" is on the table, Ford will take it. Or he'll find some reason to have an excuse for it to not be exactly what it looks like. "I was just pretending and joking around, the video stops right before I snap out of it and laugh my ass off!"

I like what was said in The National (or was it a Globe/Star editorial?) - the press now has a duty to extract an answer out of him, no matter what it takes. As we have seen, Ford likes to deflect when confronted and walk away from difficult questions and circumstances. So the press, altogether, has to treat every single Q+A as an opportunity to continue to ask the important questions that need answers, and basically not roll over and let him continue to evade taking responsibility for his actions. He'll act like the giant baby that he is and probably stop taking questions altogether, but they need to do their job.

The worst part of all this is that he can't be forced to do anything - the shitshow even bigger than the current one is one where we alllllll know the truth, Ford denies it, and refuses to step down. And then gets re-elected.

The only possible explanation for the video is a Rob Ford look-alike was used. Perhaps this guy who was at last years Pride parade:

PRIDE_PARADE_2011__64.jpg

Photo credit: Christian Peña Photography

Maybe the video contains this guy (or Ford himself faking the whole thing) and the proceeds from the auction will go towards the Ford re-election campaign.

Dysfunction doesn't just start and stop with the mayor here. It will be extremely disheartening if tomorrow's council meeting ignores the elephant in the room. Unless there's a definitive response from Ford, will everyone just continue on--business as usual? Reporters, councillors, the general public have all played into this family drama for far too long.

Generally speaking, 'Ford Supporters' will ever take the road you've outlined because their support of him is not rational. At this point, those who support him will make excuses for him no matter what he does; it's all about supporting their political 'side'.

And in some ways, maybe even *not* giving him the "support he needs" is, to them, giving them the "support he needs"--like, they'd gladly turn him into an electable martyr to his own cause a la Bobby Sands...

The campaign is now $76,610. The average amount needed per minute dropped by a dollar from yesterday, thanks mainly due to the perks. It is now around $11.25.

I have an acquaintance, I kind of full of himself Libertarian sort, who was loudly "downtown elite" and "gravy train" last election. A couple months back he was saying that he hadn't followed local politics enough to know Ford's true nature. But, then he adds, his vote was a reaction to the terrible shambles David Miller had created. I left it, but I'm thinking, "If you were so unaware what a clown Rob Ford is, how'd you get to be such an expert on David Miller?".

I like to see the intersection of Rob Ford apologists and people who propagate conspiracy theories. Seems that a similar dynamic is in play. Every time simple realities which oppose their beliefs are presented, they see it as evidence of how deep and clever the manipulation runs.

The thing which disappoints me most about "Ford Nation" right now is that they aren't giving him the support he needs. They are like a parent in denial that their child is a spoiled brat, and continue to reward their bad behaviour because it is always "someone elses" fault that they act poorly. This is not what Rob Ford needs right now.

If the left was half as good as the right at going on the offensive and pushing a simple and consistent narrative, it would be this paired with hypocritical conservatives not believing in personal responsibility when it comes to themselves.

Looks to me like the pace of contributions has really slowed down dramatically. Unless the story picks back up on Tuesday or some wealthy donors come in, I don't think they're going to make it. Though if they get within $50,000 or so, I could see Gawker topping it up.

Or that

1) He is trying to live up to some expectations set by his mother or his siblings. Something he allegedly said in the video is very telling......that he is supposed to be right wing etc etc. It's almost like he doesn't completely buy into it but has to..........

2) He is striving to achieve something to match his older brothers who are both involved in the family business while he was a college dropout and just a lowly councillor.

Are Ford's brothers collage/university graduates? I don't think so. I don't think anybody in that clan has graduated from university, so why should Rob be any different than the rest of that redneck clan?

Looks to me like the pace of contributions has really slowed down dramatically. Unless the story picks back up on Tuesday or some wealthy donors come in, I don't think they're going to make it. Though if they get within $50,000 or so, I could see Gawker topping it up.

Actually, the pace is faster than yesterday or even after Gawker put up $15,000. Try doing the calculations. We need an average of just under 5000 more donors (based on the average donation of $24.42).

Last edited:
I have an acquaintance, I kind of full of himself Libertarian sort, who was loudly "downtown elite" and "gravy train" last election. A couple months back he was saying that he hadn't followed local politics enough to know Ford's true nature. But, then he adds, his vote was a reaction to the terrible shambles David Miller had created. I left it, but I'm thinking, "If you were so unaware what a clown Rob Ford is, how'd you get to be such an expert on David Miller?".

I like to see the intersection of Rob Ford apologists and people who propagate conspiracy theories. Seems that a similar dynamic is in play. Every time simple realities which oppose their beliefs are presented, they see it as evidence of how deep and clever the manipulation runs.

I wonder if your libertarian friend was one pre-Obama. IME this new breed of libertarians are just intellectually dishonest repubs who are social conservatives underneath a cover of bogus fiscal conservatism.

Actually, the pace is faster than yesterday or even after Gawker put up $15,000. Try doing the calculations. We need an average of just under 5000 more donors (based on the average donation of $24.42).

We really need that 50k donation from the Modrobes guy. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back