News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying that subways bypass communities, even though the stop spacing of LRTs and subways are usually the same? Okay...

They are not generally the same as employed in Toronto. People complained loudly on SELRT stop spacing, but it is no different than the stop spacing on Yonge south of Bloor or along the Danforth. If the spacing on new subways was the same as the old subway lines or the new LRTs there would be 8 stops east of Yonge on the Sheppard Line, not 4.

I loved his line about putting $64 million back in taxpayer's pocket by killing the VRT. What he should have said was that he put the $64M back in the pockets of car owners and will make it up by taking from transit riders in the form of a rate hike. Still lying to us. Move along nothing new to see here.

Ford was having such difficulty reading the words on the page in front him, I wonder if he actually wrote them? I am convinced that he is just a puppet for someone behind the scene. Any guesses?
I loved his line about putting $64 million back in taxpayer's pocket by killing the VRT. What he should have said was that he put the $64M back in the pockets of car owners and will make it up by taking from transit riders in the form of a rate hike. Still lying to us. Move along nothing new to see here.

14 out of your last 20 posts is Ford bashing..Come-on you have to move on buddy..:rolleyes:

I'd like to see someone defend the budget as presented. For real. Any takers?
Seems pretty mundane and run-of-the-mill to me. Other than the optics of the $60 car fee decrease being replaced by a $60 TTC fee increase. But I'm sure they'll figure out a way to vanish that.

2012 will likely be more interesting ...

Is there anything about this that's good for Toronto?
Not only does it still fund the replacement streetcars, it was a highlight in the introductory presentation. And most of the Ridership Growth Strategy TTC service expansion from a couple of years stays in place. Even seemed to be something in there about funding the new St. Lawrence north market building. If he can stop the TTC fare increase (perhaps by not cutting TTC funding as much) then most councillors would have little reason not to pass the budget.

FINALLY we have a mayor of Toronto who is not afraid to stand up to the Chief of Police!

After Fords first meeting with Bill Blair - Ford had this to say about Managers like Bill Blair who failed to heed his instruction for budget cuts (an act of insubordination actually):

"Some managers had "decided their interests were more important than the taxpayers' interest," Ford told a news conference, adding that "if they are unable to manage effectively in the best interests of the taxpayers, then we will have to find new managers that can."

Now of course, Ford cannot fire Bill Blair directly however - fortunately for Ford - Blair's conduct during the G20 provided many reasons to fire him with cause.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/joe_warmington/2011/01/10/16834891.html

http://www.thestar.com/news/torontocouncil/article/919429--mayor-to-chief-make-further-cuts?bn=1

Last edited:
I believe he can't legally cut the number of officers because of the Police Services Act. That kind of complicates things doesn't it?

Don't forget the aim to restrict the capabilities of the BIA's - and to stop any new ones from forming.

Don't forget the massive cuts to the streetscape studies budget.

With respect to transit, understand this: Ford's aim is to create a crisis so that streetcars begin look ineffective. Following the damage to service and usefulness, there will be an attempt to destroy the system altogether. A $60 cut to automobile owners and a $60 increase to transit users. Who is being punished now?

With respect to taxpayers, what are "taxpayers interests?" Effective service, or marginal cuts that damage effective service?

I believe he can't legally cut the number of officers because of the Police Services Act. That kind of complicates things doesn't it?

That was actually Bill Blair's red herring. He stated at the services board meeting last week that it was "impossible" to find savings because he "didn't have the legal authority to fire officers" as if firing police officers was the only way to find savings. What about eliminating overtime? That would save $48 Million. What about reduction in civilian staff? The number of police officers is called the "compliment" and it is decided by City council. Why didn't Blair approach council with a request to reduce the number of officers? Just as he did during the G20 Bill Blair speaks in half-truths. Ultimately Ford needs to find a way to get rid of Blair who has proven to be a poor money manager (he blew $145 Million on 2 days of G20 policing). Unfortunately getting rid of Blair is complicated by the fact that last year - in an unprecedented move - the police services board - under Bill Blair's buddy - Alok Mukherjee - renewed Blair's contract for 5 more years. They did this ONE YEAR BEFORE his contract was to expire. It was a cynical move to ensure that Bill Blair would survive the new administration. What is more - the new contract is for $2MILLION over 5 years. This represents a salary of $400K per year OR $100,000 MORE than Blair made last year!! Blair was unable to find ANY cuts in the Police budget and yet he can find the money to give himself a 30% wage increase!

Last edited:
Blair's conduct during the G20 was reprehensible but any new police chief hired by Ford's Police Board is likely to be much much worse at the day-to-day of Toronto policing.

Blair should stay. We don't need the right-wingers bringing in someone like Fantino again.

Winnipeg just started a cadet program that takes police officers away from duties like directing traffic and guarding crime scenes. All parties seem to be happy with it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back