News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
@fishie of the 5 family members I've lost in the last 2 years, only one was cremated. I don't think of our family as particularly traditional people. We're certainly not very religious. No one had any objection to that one relative's cremation -- it was what she wanted, she was going into a very risky surgery and made her wishes very clear beforehand.

casita is back!
party.gif

I was right, Doug's gone on tour. He talking to the CBC now:

1. David Rider ‏@dmrider 18m18 minutes ago
    "We have to carry on his legacy of helping people"

2. David Rider ‏@dmrider 19m19 minutes ago
    "It's too soon but we really feel we're responsible for helping people in Etobicoke North or anywhere in the city," said Doug Ford ...

3. David Rider ‏@dmrider 20m20 minutes ago
    David Rider Retweeted CBC Toronto

CBC asked Doug Ford if he or Mike Ford hope to replace Rob in Ward 2 Etobicoke North
We be campin' mon!

You know the drill, folks. ABC--always be closing. Doug's first goal is to get bums in the seats for next week's extravaganza, and then turn those bums into support for his next "brilliant" political move.

Is there a bylaw that prohibits an 11 year-old from becoming co-mayor with his uncle?

Last edited:
Here's hoping that council decides to appoint a councilor instead of having an expensive election (saving the taxpayers money!)

@fishie of the 5 family members I've lost in the last 2 years, only one was cremated. I don't think of our family as particularly traditional people. We're certainly not very religious. No one had any objection to that one relative's cremation -- it was what she wanted, she was going into a very risky surgery and made her wishes very clear beforehand.

My condolences - that seems like a lot of family for that short length of time.

When I used the word "tradition" it wasn't so much as an ethnic, cultural or religious tradition but the practice of people in public life, or rather those where public funerals seem reasonable or expected whether they're royalty, a world leader (or their spouse like Nancy Reagan), politicians or a fallen police officer or firefighter. In these cases, the trend always seems to be to have a casket present. Not "keeping score" or anything, I just can't recall ever not seeing a casket. In my little world of non-public life with good but mostly ordinary people it seems odd. Not to sound glib but I guess the casket facilitates the draping of a flag because what would you do otherwise?

My condolences - that seems like a lot of family for that short length of time.

When I used the word "tradition" it wasn't so much as an ethnic, cultural or religious tradition but the practice of people in public life, or rather those where public funerals seem reasonable or expected whether they're royalty, a world leader (or their spouse like Nancy Reagan), politicians or a fallen police officer or firefighter. In these cases, the trend always seems to be to have a casket present. Not "keeping score" or anything, I just can't recall ever not seeing a casket. In my little world of non-public life with good but mostly ordinary people it seems odd. Not to sound glib but I guess the casket facilitates the draping of a flag because what would you do otherwise?

Here's hoping that council decides to appoint a councilor instead of having an expensive election (saving the taxpayers money!)

Yes, that would prevent another Ford from taking the seat, but the uproar would be considerable.

Won't happen, it's too long till the next election. He doesn't even have the decency to wait until the big guy is cold. Best brother ever.

ETA - I can see Doug running, easy money and his foot in the door for mayor.

Nothing new about open caskets,

Lying in State at Old City Hall
Before Jack Layton, the public mourned two former mayors at our main municipal building.
/

Huh. Was wondering about this. Not even Nathan Philips? So generally this type of honour has previously gone to mayors who died in office?

Sommerville died in office (while playing hockey) and Sam McBride was the first Toronto mayor to die in office. Well, one supposes that with a degree of mental gymnastics, R. Ford fits the bill. Still, seems an extraordinary thing to do.

Doug truly is a goon - what's with the funeral promo tour? Have the other councilors heard that they're expected to walk en masse to St. James? Are they going to walk behind the casket as Prince Charles and his sons did behind Princess Diana? For all their promotion of Rob Ford as the "common man" they seem to want to elevate him wayyyy above his "station". It' effin ridiculous.

Huh. Was wondering about this. Not even Nathan Philips? So generally this type of honour has previously gone to mayors who died in office?

Sommerville died in office (while playing hockey) and Sam McBride was the first Toronto mayor to die in office. Well, one supposes that with a degree of mental gymnastics, R. Ford fits the bill. Still, seems an extraordinary thing to do.

The Fords put Tory in a horrible position. If he had said no to their request, he would have appeared to be cold and if he agreed, people like us would be furious. The Fords should never have asked, but as we know, they have zero class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back