News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd happily say goodbye to streetcars if they built subway lines to replace them. Maybe we should ask the feds and province if we can opt out of equalization for awhile and put that money to good use.

I'd happily say goodbye to streetcars if they built subway lines to replace them. Maybe we should ask the feds and province if we can opt out of equalization for awhile and put that money to good use.

Except that with Ford in charge, there would be very little of anything will be built. However, we will be seeing much more community protests, in the streets, on the internet, and inside City Hall. Better get your protest signs ready for the printer (but make sure it is not Rob Ford's printing company).

I'd happily say goodbye to streetcars if they built subway lines to replace them.
Oh boy ... how much would that cost? There's about 80 km of full-service routes. About $25-billion.

Fortunately that's exactly how much you save in 4 years by cutting councillors down from 44 to 22!

If Rob Ford is elected tomorrow, I'm going to have an immediate concern for WaterfrontToronto (particularly the Queens Quay redevelopment), the Nathan Philips Square revitalization and the Eglinton Crosstown project.

I'm going to work with my councillor to fight against the Ford administration to ensure these move forward as planned.

Expect more demonstrations, and I don't mean the how-to demonstrations, should Ford get in.

[video=youtube;dLq6xbm8EBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLq6xbm8EBA[/video]

You will be waiting a long time for that to happen. When Ford realizes the true cost of scrapping the streetcars, he'll most likely change his mind.

Ford could pull funding from Waterfront Toronto but if McGuinty and Harper step up their contributions for the various projects, it could make Ford look like an ass!

Last edited:
I would have more respect for Ford if he provided decent alternatives. For example, hates streetcars but wants to bury them, hates Transit City but wants an Eglinton Subway, hates unions but wants to work something out with them versus privatization, hates the Lawrence Heights redevelopment but proposes a alternative plan versus 'do nothing'

Ford proposes so many things that do nothing for this city!

Last edited:
Transit City
Ford's gonna have a lot of negotiating with Dalton. I don't think Metrolinx is going to give up on the Eglinton line, considering that we already purchased the TBMs. The Sheppard line might still turn in to a subway but I'm having a hard time imagining all the work done until now on Transit City being completely abandoned.

Ford won't have shovels in the ground on his Scarborough subway, let alone have it complete by the PanAm Games.

Waterfront
The Queens Quay south lane closure is done for. There's no way Ford is going to give up a road for pedestrians and bikes. I wonder what he's going to propose to replace it with because the waterfront ball already got rolling. It's not gonna stop.

Last edited:
The TBMs for Eglinton can easily be used for tunnelling the Eglinton and Sheppard subways. I mean they were made for subway conversion in the future, right?;)

Rob Ford's subway plan will take a year of squabbling with McGuinty before it even gets anywhere. If Hudak gets elected he's as likely to say "no" as anything else. At that point we'll have already spent 3 billion on transit city and Hudak is as aware as anyone that we'd be throwing away much of that.

I think Ford himself even realizes that. He won't cancel anything that wastes an inordinate amount of money.

CP24 interviewed the chair of Metrolinx. He was very, uh, guarded about working with Ford, and basically said that "we'll talk with Ford but we already have a transit plan that's already being built".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back