News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with this. Where is it located?

I believe he is referring to what was to be the replacement for the Terrace Roller Rink. The 13,000 sq/ft space provided for it, in the Toronto Public Housing building across the street from the former Sears HQ, has been sitting empty for nearly 20 years!

Plans were announced to turn it into an art gallery in 2007 but nothing has happened since.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=156415

I believe he is referring to what was to be the replacement for the Terrace Roller Rink. The 13,000 sq/ft space provided for it, in the Toronto Public Housing building across the street from the former Sears HQ, has been sitting empty for nearly 20 years!

Plans were announced to turn it into an art gallery in 2007 but nothing has happened since.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=156415

Thanks! I'm familiar with the spot and I always wondered how that building ended up with (what I assumed to be) a massive vacant retail space on its ground floor.

Wouldn't selling off all public housing buildings (on the open market) solve the problem then?

I think that's one thing Ford proposed, although I am not happy with the "rent subsidize" part. :)

Haha, yes, the solution to poverty and homelessness is simply to sell off all public housing into the open market. Why has no one thought of this before?

With rent control saying next year (2011) you can only increase rents 0.7%, while the price of water is going up 9%? Would you?

Haha, yes, the solution to poverty and homelessness is simply to sell off all public housing into the open market. Why has no one thought of this before?

Who said that's the solution for poverty and homelessness? Torontovibe was asking about the unused rink, it's a solution for that, no? Poverty is a natural part of a society. It's not a problem, so why do we need a solution for it?

Who said that's the solution for poverty and homelessness? Torontovibe was asking about the unused rink, it's a solution for that, no? Poverty is a natural part of a society. It's not a problem, so why do we need a solution for it?

Cancer is a natural part of society. It's not a problem, so why do we need a solution for it?

No, no, keep going. Tell us that if people didn't have social housing they would have more incentive to find work and market housing. Mention boot straps. Come on. Do it.

No, no, keep going. Tell us that if people didn't have social housing they would have more incentive to find work and market housing. Mention boot straps. Come on. Do it.

Never mind boot straps. How about forced labor camps, or televised gladiatorial combat? Let's put these dregs to good use!

Cancer is a natural part of society. It's not a problem, so why do we need a solution for it?

Cancer is not a natural part of a society. it's a mutation of our body. It's a disease and it serves no purpose (other than to keep our population in control). Poverty, on the other hand, is an integral part of our society. Can you imagine a society without poverty, without suffering? It would be a disaster. In fact, it was disastrous for many countries where people simply lost the will to work. The basic assumption of a capitalist society is that resources will always be scarce and people will never be satisfied.

Plus, let's not kid ourselves. The only reason cancer treatment is being developed is because it's profitable.

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world, where none suffered, where everyone would be happy? It was a disaster. No one would accept the program, entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world, but I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. "

Never mind boot straps. How about forced labor camps, or televised gladiatorial combat? Let's put these dregs to good use!

Forced labour camps (and slavery) are out of fashion because they were an inefficient usage of labour. Unforced labours work much harder and likely for a lower cost too. Unless they are public sector workers of course.

Televised gladiatorial combat would be very expensive. From a viewer's perspective, it's no different from the movies we see anyway. In fact, I would think it would be less exciting since the combatants would be far more cautious whereas movie stars can dodge bullets.

Most cancer research is funded by non-profits and governments...not that it matters. Poverty is not cancer, obviously. It is a condition built into our current self-imposed economic system. It is neither necessary nor purposeful. Do I need to quote something from Star Trek to better get this point across?

Forced labour camps (and slavery) are out of fashion because they were an inefficient usage of labour. Unforced labours work much harder and likely for a lower cost too. Unless they are public sector workers of course.

You really are talking directly out of your ass here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back