News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I urge everyone to email all of the councilors who support the Ford's or who are on the fence regarding their waterfront proposal to take over the Port Lands.

Here is the list of councilors: http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp

Here is a list of those who need to be swayed (green and yellow): http://fordfortoronto.mattelliott.ca/2011/09/07/scorecard-port-lands/

Please write a brief and professional letter asking each councilor to NOT support the Ford's taking control of the waterfront.

Thanks for posting this and the links. I just sent a fairly long letter that I had written earlier on my fb page to about 20 councillors. E-mail campaigns can be very effective and I urge everyone to do it. It doesn't really take that long.

This time, a "massive" poll, published by Star today

Personally, I think Ford is toast now, and he may as well just quit. More than likely, Council will circle around him and render him ineffective.

It's not that I follow The Star so much (I read the Globe and Mail at home) but this is a very large sampling. I can't see any reason that Ford should stay in office. In light of the second recent poll he started to redraw his position ("City Hall employees the real gravy") but I think it's all too late for him.

My prediction is that he will sink lower yet in the polls. It is impossible to regain popularity after making such an abysmal start. I believe this to be unprecedented.

I almost feel sorry for Ford. But I don't.

http://www.thestar.com/news/toronto...o-is-united-against-ford-s-proposed-cuts?bn=1

Massive poll shows Toronto is united against Ford’s proposed cuts

Robyn Doolittle
Urban Affairs Reporter

One of the biggest polls ever conducted in Toronto shows residents from every corner of the city are overwhelmingly against Mayor Rob Ford’s cuts.

From Doug Ford’s ward in Etobicoke to budget chief Mike Del Grande’s in Scarborough, the results will serve as a sobering warning to councillors within the Ford voting bloc.

A Forum Research telephone survey of nearly 13,000 people reveals that more than three-quarters of Torontonians want their local councillor to protect services rather than comply with the mayor’s wishes. And only 27 per cent of residents say they would vote for Rob Ford if an election was held tomorrow.

More significantly, because of the poll’s size, Forum was able to provide the first authoritative assessment of support on a ward-by-ward level.

Forum’s poll, which was paid for by CUPE Local 79, one of two major unions at city hall, questioned 12,848 Toronto residents on Tuesday using a random dial, push-button response, phoning system. The margin of error is plus or minus 0.9 per cent, 19 out 20 times.

Some of the strongest opposition to the current direction at city hall is in the wards of executive committee members.

For example, in Cesar Palacio’s Davenport region, 81.2 per cent of residents want him to fight Ford on cuts. In Willowdale, 82.9 per cent of David Shiner’s constituents are against cutting services.

With a “mushy middle” of councillors emboldened by Ford’s sinking approval, losing even a handful of those previously locked-down votes could tip the scales at council against Ford.

“He’s asking these councillors to put their careers on the line,” said Forum president Lorne Bozinoff. “These councillors are potentially exposing themselves and their careers to challenge in three years from someone who comes along and says: ‘Vote for me, I’ll restore those cutbacks.’”

As for Ford’s low approval rating, Bozinoff said one theory is that the mayor is embarking on typical political strategy: get the controversial stuff out of the way fast, allowing enough time for the numbers to rebound by the next election.

“But in this case, his numbers are already low and we’re just talking about cutting services,” he said. “This is not likely to improve for him when he actually carries out some of this stuff. . . I think if the cutbacks are really of the magnitude (being discussed) it could hit him even harder.”

Ford was elected by a landslide last October and — bolstered by the popularity of his “Stop the Gravy Train” message — the mayor has enjoyed a slim but solid majority on council.

A number of councillors within the Ford fold, most of who have been rewarded with high-profile positions on committees or boards, have quietly grumbled over the administration’s constant vote-whipping, intimidation tactics and procedural trickery.

Despite the unrest, Ford’s uncompromising leadership style had been able to keep his supporters in check. Even mushy middle councillors have so far sided with Ford on controversial votes.

But as anger continues to swell over the Pride snub, KPMG consultants, Margaret Atwood fiasco, waterfront power grab and most recently, proposed cuts to libraries, daycares and Riverdale Farm, some councillors have felt emboldened to speak out.

Most recently, Councillor Jaye Robinson (Ward 25 Don Valley West), a member of Ford’s executive, publicly announced she would not support the administration’s waterfront plan.

TTC chair Karen Stintz has been distancing herself from the administration in the past few months and was one of the first to speak out against library cuts. On Thursday, she revealed she would also vote against the mayor on his waterfront plans.

The show of defiance has had many at city hall questioning Stintz’s political future. But if the Forum poll is any indication, Stintz had already sensed the changing political winds.

George Smitherman edged out Ford in Stinz’s Eglinton-Lawrence ward last October. Today, 52.4 per cent of residents say their opinion of the mayor has worsened since the election, 76.6 per cent want Stintz to fight service cuts and 65.4 per cent said they would not elect Ford for a second term.

The Questions

Respondents were asked the following questions:

How has your opinion of Mayor Ford changed since the election? Improved: 17%; Hasn’t changed: 29%; Grown worse: 54%.

If an election was held tomorrow, would you vote for Rob Ford for mayor? Yes: 27%; No: 60%; Don’t know: 13%.

How much do you agree that your councillor should vote in the interests of protecting city services in your community, even if it conflicts with the wishes of Mayor Ford? Overall agree: 77% (59% say they “strongly agree” and 18% say they “agree”. Overall disagree: 14% (“strongly disagree, 5%; disagree 9%). Don’t know: 9%.

Note: the Star combined “agree” and “strongly agree” answers for the purposes of this article.

Forum’s poll, which was paid for by CUPE Local 79, one of two major unions at city hall, questioned 12,848 Toronto residents on Tuesday using a random dial, push-button response, phoning system.

That says it all...the poll is fantastically tainted.

I believe in necessary cuts to the city's budget. As a taxpayer I don't want my money squandered and furthermore I believe the City should first balance it's budget and then focus on all the amazing cultural and recreational initiatives that it's brightest citizens envision. Debt is devastating as we now see so strinkingly in Europe, the US, and especially in Ontario where our provincial debt is $220 BILLION, vs. a mere $60 BILLION for all of California.

Wake up Toronto/Ontario/Canada. The profligate spending cannot continue!

We all wish he would just quit, but then we're just forgetting who Ford really is. This man is stubborn and vindictive. He'll stay there just out of spite if for no other reason.

If he continues to break rules and possibly the law with his back room dealings and circling around procedures, perhaps a leading city councillor could find a way loophole to get him kicked out. I think that with desperation, there's a possibility that Ford will lose his carefully crafted calmer, almost if scripted personality. The hot headed, I don't give a shit Rob Ford is in there somewhere. He'll likely come out.

I believe in necessary cuts to the city's budget. As a taxpayer I don't want my money squandered and furthermore I believe the City should first balance it's budget and then focus on all the amazing cultural and recreational initiatives that it's brightest citizens envision. Debt is devastating as we now see so strinkingly in Europe, the US, and especially in Ontario where our provincial debt is $220 BILLION, vs. a mere $60 BILLION for all of California.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The city CANNOT use debt to fund ongoing operations and balance its budget. It's against the law. Meaning, that the city is not in debt like Greece, Portugal and Ireland and specially not like the US. Our debt is healthy for a city of this size.

Unlike what Ford has been telling you, we don't have a SPENDING problem. We have a REVENUE problem. Sure there are some questionable expenditures, but nothing that would fill a hole the size of our budget shortfall.

Also, "all the amazing cultural and recreational initiatives" that you say we should stop paying for until we have our house in order, are a big part of keeping our house in order. The arts are responsible for 250,000 jobs in Toronto and incalculable monetary windfall for the economy of the city. Tiff for example brings in over $100 MILLION each year with the city only investing $800,000. That's a 12,400% (TWELVE THOUSAND PERCENT) profit margin. Respect for taxpayers indeed.

Last edited:
I agree MetroMan. Some people would do some serious soul searching and rethink their position, i.e.," oops, what I said/did/proposed wasn't so popular after all, maybe I need to rethink" but not Rob. He will stubbornly cling to the belief that he is doing what the average Joe at Tim Horton's wants him to do, no matter how many email/phone calls to the contrary he receives. All he needs is one email saying "keep up the good work", and he'll say he has a mandate.

I also believe that he is petty, spiteful and vindictive and we might see some fireworks.

Nice try, Mr. Ford.

]That says it all...the poll is fantastically tainted.

Whether a poll is tainted or not depends on the methology, not by who paid for it.

You aren't the only taxpayer around. Besides, if balancing the budget is so important, does it make sense to cut taxes at the same time? And yet that's exactly what we have gotten - and tax-cutting has been the Neo-liberal mantral for oh, the last 25 years. BTW, do some research, the $60 billion for California is a figure that excludes all kinds of unfunded committments that the state is obliged to pay into - add that in and you're looking at plausibly close to a trillion.

AoD

Last edited:
I agree MetroMan. Some people would do some serious soul searching and rethink their position, i.e.," oops, what I said/did/proposed wasn't so popular after all, maybe I need to rethink" but not Rob. He will stubbornly cling to the belief that he is doing what the average Joe at Tim Horton's wants him to do, no matter how many email/phone calls to the contrary he receives. All he needs is one email saying "keep up the good work", and he'll say he has a mandate.

I also believe that he is petty, spiteful and vindictive and we might see some fireworks.

Well said. I agree with you and MM.

In Toronto, we're stuck in the middle of the "politics of revenge". Ford will show his true colours eventually, I think during the budget process. As the rhetoric heats up, anyone who disagrees will be a target to be taken down either through relentless political or personal attacks. Careers will be destroyed. Payback for Ford opponents will be the theme of the day.

1. The budget was balanced before Ford took office, he created a deficit.

2. The United States, which is far more conservative in public spending than most European countries, has its fair share of debt as well. May I remind you of the deficit the Harris/Eves government left after their reign of service cuts?

3. You saw the questions, sample size, and method, please explain how it is tainted besides who funded the study (BTW, Forum is a respected polling company).

Toronto doesn't really have a debt problem. We're the only government that continues to make payments on principal every year, as the feds and province tend to just go interest-only.

Toronto's budget problems basically amount to two things:

1) We're too dependent on property taxes, which don't rise with inflation and thus need to be 'raised' every year. Right-wing governments tend to force "tax freezes" -- Mel Lastman was the master of this -- which have a domino effect on revenue down the line. Attempts by David Miller to diversify revenues with new taxes were not popular.

2) TTC costs are crushing us. It is simply impossible to run an effective transit system without sustainable funding from the provincial government.

The solutions are either a massive push to fix the funding model for cities, getting the provincial and federal government on side, or something like a one or two percent Toronto sales tax.

I signed the petition and immediately received about seven automated replies from councillors. Not sure that I was all that happy about that. I received two from Mayor Ford, which I found funny, being as there are two Mayor Fords.

I signed the petition and immediately received about seven automated replies from councillors. Not sure that I was all that happy about that. I received two from Mayor Ford, which I found funny, being as there are two Mayor Fords.

Me too, it gave me a chuckle and I made a joke about which one was from which Mayor Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back