News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is quite likely that Matt Elliott's excellent blog post today caused Royson James and Marcus Gee to each write basically the same column. This is great, great stuff Matt!
Well whaddya know? Both James and Gee say we need to do some serious cutting of expenditures. Where have I heard that before?

Basically they're agreeing with Ford on this point. In fact, one interpretation is that Ford is too chicken to go far enough, for fear of alienating voters. Their main difference of opinion with Ford is the degree of taxation.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to pin this act on Rob Ford. Are you stupid? The Ford family culture - yes the family culture, the bozo brother Doug, the heroin addict sister, and the lingerie football playing sister, the whole lot of them - are not the kind of people who should be influencing the course of the city of Toronto.

You made an abusive comment. You responded with a "are you stupid" comment. That's basically calling someone stupid.

You're trying to paint Ford and his entire family as trash first with the info that a former brother-in-law of Ford committed a horrific crime which Ford has nothing to do with and now you're attacking his entire family and it's all because you don't like Ford. Ford isn't responsible for his brother, his niece or his sister.

For god's sake, Smitherman was well known for being extremely abusive while in office, threatened people, was corrupt and had a well documented history of a raging, out of control drug problem and I never see the same hostility that people like you, throw in his direction. Not once. Not on this forum. People very conviently looked the other way.

And for your information, most if not all families have their share of substance abuse issues, secrets and other issues. Society is full of this. I've been working with co-workers for years where I hear the never ending stories of drug use, infidelity, abuse, sociopathic behaviour, bad parenting, spoiled kids, and the list goes on.

I'd love to dissect your family history and see just how righteous you are when the skeletons start pouring out of the closet. There is a huge double standard here with the Ford haters. They cry at his every flaw, call him names, vilify him and his family all the while presenting themselves as righteous while using language, tactics and attacks that are extremely hostile and creepy.

The hypocrisy of yourself and others wrapping yourselves in the cloak of decency is just appalling.

Last edited:
You're trying to paint Ford and his entire family as trash first with the info that a former brother-in-law of Ford committed a horrific crime which Ford has nothing to do with and now you're attacking his entire family and it's all because you don't like Ford. Ford isn't responsible for his brother, his niece or his sister.
The comment didn't make sense, and it seems odd trying to paint Ford as trash simply because of the actions of an ex-brother-in-law.

However, at the same time, I'm not sure how you can defend someone who quite clearly is trash, simply from his own actions. The drug use, the repeated alcohol use. The criminal conviction. Numerous run-ins with the law, including the arrest for beating his wife. The ACC incident, the numerous accusations of verbal abuse by family members, colleagues, employees, media, and even his former football players. The numerous bizarre comments about ethnicity, while not entirely racist, sound like phrases that someone in the 70s would use, and not someone in their 30s. The anti-gay prejudice.

The vast and never-ending examples of Ford alone ... let alone his family, is beyond belief. It's like watching the Royle Family.

You made an abusive comment. You responded with a "are you stupid" comment. That's basically calling someone stupid.

For god's sake, Smitherman was well known for being extremely abusive while in office, threatened people, was corrupt and had a well documented history of a raging, out of control drug problem and I never see the same hostility that people like you, throw in his direction. Not once. Not on this forum. People very conviently looked the other way.

And for your information, most if not all families have their share of substance abuse issues, secrets and other issues. Society is full of this. I've been working with co-workers for years where I hear the never ending stories of drug use, infidelity, abuse, sociopathic behaviour, bad parenting, spoiled kids, and the list goes on.

I'd love to dissect your family history and see just how righteous you are when the skeletons start pouring out of the closet. There is a huge double standard here with the Ford haters. They cry at his every flaw, call him names, vilify him and his family all the while presenting themselves as righteous while using language, tactics and attacks that are extremely hostile and creepy.

The hypocrisy of yourself and others wrapping yourselves in the cloak of decency is just appalling.

My question has been answered.

What's really going here is that Ford is another Harris and it's driving you guys nuts. So you justify tactics that are extremely sleazy to demonize Ford and now his entire family.

Last edited:
I know what's going on here. Ford is ... driving you guys up the wall and you're reacting with attacks that are really character assassinations because you can't stand his policies. That's the real, underlying motivation.

You got that right.

The comment didn't make sense, and it seems odd trying to paint Ford as trash simply because of the actions of an ex-brother-in-law.

However, at the same time, I'm not sure how you can defend someone who quite clearly is trash, simply from his own actions. The drug use, the repeated alcohol use. The criminal conviction. Numerous run-ins with the law, including the arrest for beating his wife. The ACC incident, the numerous accusations of verbal abuse by family members, colleagues, employees, media, and even his former football players. The numerous bizarre comments about ethnicity, while not entirely racist, sound like phrases that someone in the 70s would use, and not someone in their 30s. The anti-gay prejudice.

The vast and never-ending examples of Ford alone ... let alone his family, is beyond belief. It's like watching the Royle Family.

Can we assume that the bigot charges have been dropped?

i don't know about you guys but the monorail and the giant ferris wheel would of been great in toronto.

Wrong - if you want to build a ferris wheel use it as part of an Ontario Place rejuvination where it truely belongs (ie. an amusement park).

Much better than a monorail would be an LRT that connected up the Distillery District - I think this was one of the initial Transit City proposed lines

What's really going here is that Ford is another Harris and it's driving you guys nuts. So you justify tactics that are extremely sleazy to demonize Ford and now his entire family.

If Ford were really another Harris, there would be a giant ferris wheel in The Portlands right now and the city would have approved $750 million in cuts yesterday.

Harris had authority and power. Ford is just an impotent blowhard.

If Ford were really another Harris, there would be a giant ferris wheel in The Portlands right now and the city would have approved $750 million in cuts yesterday.

Harris had authority and power. Ford is just an impotent blowhard.
Harris was the Premier. Ford is the Mayor. Big difference.

Why does it take a couple of months, not hours or days, to see the voting record for city council?

See this link.

After a couple of months, one may forget to look up how your councillor voted on amendments, proposals, or budget matter.

Why doesn't Ford consider other sources of revenue to bring in much needed money to the City of Toronto? Oh, I forgot, he wants to cancel the property transfer tax. Interesting that New York City still has a Real Property Transfer Tax (RPTT) of
Residential Type 1 and 2:

If the consideration is $500,000 or less, the rate is 1% of the consideration.
If the consideration is more than $500,000 the rate is 1.425%.

All other transfers:

If the consideration is $500,000 or less, the rate is 1.425% of the consideration.
If the consideration is more than $500,000 the rate is 2.625%.

Interesting that NYC still has as well:

Tax Types & Descriptions

Banking Corporation Tax (BCT)
A tax on banking corporations, commercial and savings banks, savings and loan associations, bank holding companies, and trust companies. Certain subsidiaries of banks that are owned by a bank or bank holding company are also taxed.

Cigarette Tax
A tax paid by an agent or distributor and passed onto the cost of each pack of cigarettes.

Commercial Motor Vehicle Tax (CMVT)
A tax on non-passenger motor vehicles principally used in New York City or by a business conducted in NYC. Motor vehicles used regularly in NYC for passenger transportation are also taxed.

Commercial Rent Tax (CRT)
A tax charged to commercial tenants who occupy or use a premise for commercial activity in Manhattan, south of 96th Street.

E-911 Surcharge for wireless phone and internet voice communication services
A fee used to improve the public safety communications network.

General Corporation Tax (GCT)
A tax on corporations that have business activities, employ capital, own or lease property or maintain an office in New York City.

Horse Race Admissions Tax
A tax on Horse Racing admissions.

Hotel Room Occupancy Tax
A tax on guests who occupy a hotel, motel, bed-and-breakfast, boardinghouse, or club/apartment room. The tax is based on the cost of the room rent.

Mortgage Recording Tax
A New York City tax charged for mortgages recorded on property in the five boroughs

Retail Beer, Wine and Liquor License Tax
A tax charged on each retail licensee for selling liquor, wine, or beer within New York City.

Taxicab License Transfer Tax
A tax charge on every transfer of a taxicab license.

Unincorporated Business Tax (UBT)
A tax charged to every individual or unincorporated business carrying on a full or partial trade or profession in New York City.

Utility Tax
A tax on every utility and vendor of utility services doing business in New York City.

NYC Taxes Administered by the State
New York State collects the following New York City taxes with Finance:

Motor Vehicle Use Tax
A tax charged to New York City owners or lessees who garage a motor vehicle in New York City.

Beer and Liquor Excise Tax
A tax charged to distributors and noncommercial importers of beer and liquor used or sold in New York City.

Sales and Use Tax
A tax on the sale of tangible personal property and certain services.

Why is he getting rid of taxes that would bring in revenue?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back