News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most people voted for Ford because he told them they were being ripped off, which people love to hear. "You're richer than you think."
Some others voted for him because he said he was going to build subways.
Some others voted for him because the other guy was gay.

All of the above are fools, and there is a cost that the city must pay for having so many fools.

Toronto also has a history of voting for people who have served at least one term on city council. Smitherman's involvement with EHealth might have also hurt him, along with the fact that he had a reputation of being rude and obnoxious, when he was the attack dog for the Liberals. Nobody liked Smitherman, so why are you guys surprised that people didn't vote for him? I knew his chances were dismal, right from the start. Pantalone did not do well in any of the debates and was pretty much an after-thought. Thompson and Rossi, were unknowns who just came out of nowhere and deserved to be ignored. If they were really serious, they should have ran for city council first and proven themselves. I'd never vote for anyone who jumps the gun like that.

There was not one, single suitable candidate in the race. Ford didn't win because the city believed in him. He won because there was no one else to vote for. I just hope we have some real options next time out or I just won't vote. (and YES, I will continue to complain like hell about our mentally challenged mayor)

There was not one, single suitable candidate in the race. Ford didn't win because the city believed in him. He won because there was no one else to vote for.

But saying Ford was the dog with the least fleas is incorrect, so I don't buy that excuse. In the beginning, it was a common belief that he was a joke that didn't stand a chance. But something happened along the way. People got into a weird mood and considered him the underdog, and decided the idea of the underdog with the kooky ideas was going to get their vote.

I agree. The only city councillor other than Ford was Joe Pantalone who just didn't have the teeth to fight Ford in the debates.

I believed that Pants would have provided continuation for Miller's policies and we'd still be a feel good city inspired about the future, not one having a civil war that pits the city against itself. However, I didn't see the numbers that would lead Joe Pantalone to beat Rob Ford so I jumped ship, plugged my nose and voted for Smitherman.

The election is still 2.5 years away and anybody can emerge, but as it stands right now, this looks like a Stintz vs Ford election.

The good in all this is that remember how many of us were complaining for several elections that transit hadn't become a real election issue? Well, it will be now. We'll be talking about transit for at least the next 3 years.

Toronto wants subways but wants someone else to pay for them.

$60 / 52 weeks = $1.15384615/week. That's not enough to buy 1 "Tim Hortons" extra small coffee a week anymore.

Seriously, $60/year is pocket change compared to the cost of car insurance in this city.

Raise it to $600/year and we can get serious money to start building large numbers of subways in this city. This is the one thing that I agree with Rob Ford on. Skimping by building a light rail line on Sheppard where you have to transfer at Don Mills and that does not connect to Scarborough Centre and does not connect to Downsview instead of building a badly needed subway parallel to the busiest highway in North America is a bad idea. That's still only about the cost of a "medium" Tim Hortons coffee a day.

Skimping by building a light rail line on Sheppard where you have to transfer at Don Mills and that does not connect to Scarborough Centre and does not connect to Downsview instead of building a badly needed subway parallel to the busiest highway in North America is a bad idea.

Sorry, but I have a problem with this being described as "badly needed".

Forget about the $billions in capital that would be better spent on more badly needed transit infrastructure elsewhere. The TTC's operational budget is a very fragile house of cards. By adding the least cost-efficient service to run, it affects the entire system. And in a city that has now decided to cut operational funding to a transit system with growing ridership, it will accelerate the downward spiral Ford has set in motion.

I also agree that it makes better sense to complete the Sheppard route by just expanding the current subway. But the ridership simply can't justify the drain on the TTC's operational budget it would create. We need MORE cost-efficient lines...not less.

Or....we start spending more money operating our transit system (a LOT more), rather than cutting the operating budget.

Subway. Tax.

There is some serious disconnection going on between those two words in the head of Fordites. I'm afraid their touching might result in a short which could cause an explosion.

It's amazing to me how the roles are being turned all around:
The labelled left are arguing for financial and factual conservatism - cold realism, minus pleas for airy social aims and grandiose ends, the dignity of civil procedure and the rule of law. Staying within the budget and allocated government funds. Meanwhile, the right is arguing for vaster governmental expenditures on public transportation - usually painted by that side as collectivist and impersonal and for the failed - a depersonalizing, manipulative goody wielded by collect-and-spend governments to keep citizens huddled and dependent.
The fascinating warp at the centre of this is how an anti-transit, pro-car crowd has ended up fighting for a unfounded fantasy of the most expensive mass transit system available, while not abandoning their automobilies-equal-individuality mindset. They want this done through nothing less than a coup against existing government and the factuality of their engineering departments. Which, of course, are the only ones who can fund it and make it actually work.

It's also amazing to me how history is being rewritten:
Ford never campaigned 'On Subways'. He campaigned factually on one subway: the Sheppard line. Eglinton and Finch were to get buses. Nothing else. He also stated that it would pay for itself through reallocation of Transit City Funds plus private sector investments, and not cost a dime. His videos are all there online, intact.
The revisions that he supported both Sheppard and Eglinton underground came later.
The Fordian 'subway' that supposed conservatives are demanding as if it were a leftist 'right' and fact (e.g. "housing is a right!"), is seamlessly fused to 'won't cost a cent'. One can't exist without the other. In short, it doesn't exist and never has. It was and is a mirage.
It would be more fair to say that Ford continuously campaigns on subways, rather than he ever had a expansive, workable, fundable, realistic plan that could be realized. In short, it was an election lie. Or, for those who prefer to see Ford as honest, a belief. Currently, a popular and populist desire.
'Subway' is what he campaigned on. 'Underground' was the buzzword. 'Subways' is what he carries on about.

It seems to me that the Ford mayoralty could be called the 'belief' mayoralty. There's more than a few commentators out there who believe that Ford is impeccably honest, because Ford so thoroughly believes Ford is honest. That this circular ignorance equals purity and strength. That because the Mayor doesn't recognize his shortcomings, he might be able to have none. If we all believed, too, then it would be true.

It is clear to anyone with an ear for tone, that Ford's campaign from the start was not going to be one of city-building, but that it was one of blunt, primary fantasies larded with revenge. There's lots of ideas out there about what people were and are angry about, too many for me to write about here. But it was clear that it was revenge against the eggheads, the professors, the experts, the artistic. It was revenge against the core for...what? Complexity? For already having lived through what the suburbs are just starting to face? Both envy and derision? I don't believe it was that Miller ignored the suburbs, as his mayoralty introduced all kinds of initiatives that favoured them. Maybe the issues were bigger than Miller, and no mayor could have introduced enough startups quickly enough to mollify them.

For all the talk about subways, Ford has never indicated the slightest interest in projects that would seriously help downtown, like the DRL. I don't even think he has the talent to be an actual populist - I'd leave that to the slippery persuasion firm led by Mr. Kouvalis and other politicians. I think Ford is simply a Fordist, going around and around, ventriloquising the role he learned in that family of his - the one that first taught him how to be desperate for acceptance.

Last edited:
Why do people keep referring to 47% as a landslide?
What would you call 47% in a race with three legitimate candidates and no incumbent -- a nail-biter?

David Miller finally takes a shot at Rob Ford:

"The guy who should be fired is the one who said the private sector would build the Sheppard subway at no cost to the City."
This coming from the Mayor who failed on his promise to deliver a Sheppard subway extension in his first term, and couldn't make the SELRT Ford-proof in his second.

He should shut up regarding anything to do with Sheppard.

GW:

I don't think Sheppard was a prominent campaign promise - if at all - and what can one do to Ford proof anything when said worship is willing to (and did) incur umpteen million in penalities?

Andrewpmk:

Repeating again and again that somehow Sheppard will work as a replacement for 401, in spite of the fact that projections after projections suggesting otherwise is just wishful thinking. To pump x billions into that project on faith when there are critical, proven projects is bad planning.

AoD

Last edited:
Skimping by building a light rail line on Sheppard [...] instead of building a badly needed subway parallel to the busiest highway in North America is a bad idea.

Others have already said this, but...why should this even be a consideration? Subways are justified by projected ridership, not by the position of expressways. If any transit mode is meant to be an expressway substitute, it's commuter rail, not metro.

The fact that there's currently any Sheppard subway at all is ridiculous. Complete waste of limited TTC resources. If you look at which bus routes are heaviest we need an Eglinton subway. Sure a LRT is better than nothing, but 50 years from now people will wish we had just bit the financial bullet and built a subway in the first place. Not sure who's political camp this puts me in.

Doesn't matter what political camp it's in

Do you want what's best for the city, or what's best for your "team?"

hawc:

The fact that there's currently any Sheppard subway at all is ridiculous. Complete waste of limited TTC resources. If you look at which bus routes are heaviest we need an Eglinton subway. Sure a LRT is better than nothing, but 50 years from now people will wish we had just bit the financial bullet and built a subway in the first place. Not sure who's political camp this puts me in.

If you build it now, at 50 years you will have to replace a good chunk of the original capital investment due to wear and tear, etc - so in effect you're paying for it twice - once when you didn't need it, and once when you finally do. Bit of a simplification, obviously.

AoD

I honestly don't think Toronto politics are worth killing someone over

Well, if Toronto's to be a tinpot dictatorship, might as well revive the notion of a potential assassination attempt on Rob Ford. I mean, if I told ya once, I told ya a million times: who cares if it's "un-Canadian", under a mayor like Ford, there's no limit to the depths of abject whatever possible...

(NB: that's by way of prediction/anticipation, not by way of advocacy)

When Ontario was a "have" province it might have been. But too many years of liberal rule has wiped that out so now we are as inconsequential as British Columbia.

Like manufacturing would have prospered under Harris/Eves, when under similar constraints? Lest I remind you at the last transition of power, they argued that they haven't had a deficit when in fact it has one.

AoD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back