News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter saying that Karen Stintz got a $110 ticket for running a stop sign... on her bike.

She got a warning about it last year: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/11/cyclist-stintz-gets-warning-over-rolling-stop

As someone who rides their bike every month of the year, I also treat stop signs like yield signs unless another car has approached a 4-way stop before me. In that case, I treat the intersection the same way I would in my car. I wouldn't want to be cut off so I don't do it to others either. Otherwise, if no cars are around, I slow down and proceed with caution. To me, it's no different than jay-walking on a side street. You wouldn't do that in front of a moving vehicle, but if there's nobody around, who are you hurting? I think it's ridiculous to ticket cyclists for this depending on the situation at the intersection in question.

They certainly did teach Catholicism, it just wasn't as "take these classes or else" as TheTigerMaster seems to suggest it is.

I don't know how many Catholic schools you've dealt to. It is quite often that they force students to be confirmed and then go on to force them to take religion classes as a graduation requirement. I can tell you for certain that the forced confirmations are illegal.

Twitter saying that Karen Stintz got a $110 ticket for running a stop sign... on her bike.

At Duplex at Berwick - it's to 53 Division as Beverley at Baldwin is to 52 Division - the one place where cops actually ticket cyclists (since it's popular with cyclists and close to the station.)

Not only should the lying to children in schools not be publicly funded...it should be considered child abuse to do it privately as well.

A little over the top? I don't believe in a god either, but to call it child abuse is a bit much.

We lie to kids about Santa Claus too, is that child abuse as well?

She got a warning about it last year: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/11/cyclist-stintz-gets-warning-over-rolling-stop

As someone who rides their bike every month of the year, I also treat stop signs like yield signs unless another car has approached a 4-way stop before me. In that case, I treat the intersection the same way I would in my car. I wouldn't want to be cut off so I don't do it to others either. Otherwise, if no cars are around, I slow down and proceed with caution. To me, it's no different than jay-walking on a side street. You wouldn't do that in front of a moving vehicle, but if there's nobody around, who are you hurting? I think it's ridiculous to ticket cyclists for this depending on the situation at the intersection in question.

That's pretty much what I do, but it means always slowing down and preparing to stop. If you approach a stop sign expecting to stop for a car that was there first or a pedestrian about to cross, you'd likely see the cops standing there. I always stop if I see a pedestrian approaching the intersection. But if you can't even slow down to look before blowing through a stop, or pass a fellow cyclist who is slowing/stopping because someone else has the right of way, you are an idiot, and the cops should throw the book at you (your bike had better have a bell and reflective tape, and lights if it's early/late enough.)

Stintz should have been able to notice the cops and stopped.

I'm annoyed that Duplex/Berwick and Beverley/Baldwin are occasionally enforced, while some cyclists will always get away with worse (red light running, sidewalk slaloming, night ghost riding) because the police usually don't notice or care. I'd love to see Harbord/Brunswick, Bloor/Brunswick, College/Augusta, St. George's pedestrian signals, etc enforced now and then as while a rolling stop, if clear, isn't really a big deal, red light running should be a cardinal sin and dealt with.

Last edited:
Rob is on a roll today, facing Toronto media to again prove he is sober, with co-mayor Doug again blaming Kathleen Wynne for losing his coaching position with Don Bosco!

I also do what the other bikers do, and generally treat stop signs on my bike as yield signs if no cops are around. That said, I can't argue with the tickets for failing to stop, because it does act as an incentive to pay attention to the rules.

Too many bikers blow through the lights or whatever and then get pissed off when they almost get hit by a car. I used to see this all the time downtown.

Does Santa threaten bad children with torture for eternity?
Does Santa tell children they are damned if they grow up loving the wrong kind of person?

You're right, the threats of Santa are more serious - from an 8 years olds perspective, the threat of no presents is more immediate and serious than some far off distant concept of hell......

Both are used as a means to manipulate a child's behaviour. But In a child's mind, Santa trumps God (he doesn't give presents)

I also do what the other bikers do, and generally treat stop signs on my bike as yield signs if no cops are around. That said, I can't argue with the tickets for failing to stop, because it does act as an incentive to pay attention to the rules.

Of course. I'm not arguing against giving tickets for failure to stop at stop signs, but that they're always in the same places, and so predictable. That said, if you don't pay attention and get a ticket, you're doing it wrong. It's not smart not to be aware of your surroundings when on the road.

What we need is for rolling stops to be made legal. There is a huge difference between a rolling stop and someone flying through a stop sign. One should be ticketed, the other shouldn't.

Oh please, stop the nonsense and figure out who could really beat this guy?..

Here is some undesirable news for many of you.....Rob Ford’s re-election chances soar in crowded mayoral race
Suddenly, the race to replace Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is becoming crowded — and that’s just how Ford wants it.

Indeed, Ford is dreaming of an election filled with challengers for his job, regardless of whether they are from the left or the right, from downtown or the suburbs.

That’s because Ford’s chances of winning re-election jump each time a serious contender indicates they might jump into the October 2014 mayoral contest.
More......http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...ces_soar_in_crowded_mayoral_race_hepburn.html

You're right, the threats of Santa are more serious - from an 8 years olds perspective, the threat of no presents is more immediate and serious than some far off distant concept of hell......

Both are used as a means to manipulate a child's behaviour. But In a child's mind, Santa trumps God (he doesn't give presents)
Sorry, but this isn't always true. For some that are indoctrinated, there is no comparison between the two. The threat of hell and an always-present judge and jury that not only watches what you do, but what you 're thinking, to make a judgement..... I don't know that I'd call it child abuse but it can absolutely distort the mind and take many years of adulthood to correct. A constant fear of doing or thinking the slightest thing wrong, even if you didn't know it was wrong, or face hell, is no way to live - especially as a child.

Above is said from experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back