News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen any reporting on the latest Forum Research polling on hypothetical mayoral elections: http://www.forumresearch.com/forms/...O_Trial_Heats_(2013.10.31)_Forum_Research.pdf

Most of the polling was done on October 31st (the day the police documents came out), but some of the polling was done on October 30th.

The first thing that stuck out at me, they polled Ford vs. Stintz vs. Soknacki twice. On October 30th, Ford was over Stintz 40 to 31. On October 31th, Stintz was over Ford 37 to 33. So much for "Ford's popularity goes up in wake of scandal".

The other takeaway is that support for all the possible candidates is becoming much more equally distributed. Although Chow seems to still be the favourite (she leads or is tied for first in every poll she's in), her lead is much smaller than what we saw several months ago. Ford is tied for first in one poll, and trails in every other poll he's in.

The problem with protests is they get hijacked so easily and the original intent and message gets mixed in with other people's anger and eventually people just start yelling out "fuck the police". Keep in mind, there are people that practically protest for a living. The larger this thing is the more drowned out the original message gets. That's my concern.

- they've often really got to lose bigtime for them to see how much alcohol is the root cause.

I'm going to really mildly (and respectfully) argue this point -- and I don't disagree with anything else you've said, I'm just bored at work. And it's really a tiny argument. I wholly, fully and completely believe that alcohol/drugs/gambling/sex/etc is not the root cause. Substance abuse is the primary symptom, not the cause. The root cause can be many things: emotional immaturity, lack of emotional development, lack of healthy development, maladaptive behaviours due to abuse, lack of meaning, etc, etc, etc... those come first. Substance abuse comes second. Which is where the phenomenon of "dry drunks" comes from. People who get off the substance but have made no other substantial changes to the underlying issue. Successful recovery, treats the person & their behaviours, regardless of the abuse.

I'm being pedantic about it, I know. I'm just waiting for the day to end... ;)

Haven't seen any reporting on the latest Forum Research polling on hypothetical mayoral elections: http://www.forumresearch.com/forms/...O_Trial_Heats_(2013.10.31)_Forum_Research.pdf

Most of the polling was done on October 31st (the day the police documents came out), but some of the polling was done on October 30th.

The first thing that stuck out at me, they polled Ford vs. Stintz vs. Soknacki twice. On October 30th, Ford was over Stintz 40 to 31. On October 31th, Stintz was over Ford 37 to 33. So much for "Ford's popularity goes up in wake of scandal".

The other takeaway is that support for all the possible candidates is becoming much more equally distributed. Although Chow seems to still be the favourite (she leads or is tied for first in every poll she's in), her lead is much smaller than what we saw several months ago. Ford is tied for first in one poll, and trails in every other poll he's in.

I seriously don't make much of the 'approval rating goes up' poll. Something is either wrong with the methodology or people in general if 45% approve of the job he's doing and 60-70% think he should resign. The 15% overlap cannot exist. It just can't.

About the protest: reaching out to some larger political organizations is also a good place to start. Unions, OCAP, even Toronto Taxpayers Coalition (even if the guy who runs it seems to not really understand how taxes work). Also now that the guy from Stars is really hammering home is opinions about Ford, ask him if he wants to perform. He probably hangs out with other Canadian musicians who would be willing to perform. People want something to happen, but organizing a rally (rally is a better word than protest, it has less connotations) is a big undertaking. Be sure you're prepared for it. It would suck if no one showed up.

Oh and catchy slogans or a catchy acronym for signs is also a good thing to come up with. Unified messaging and all that.

I don't make much of it either. But we need to dispel the notion once and for all that the majority support him. A silent majority is useless. Let's become a vocal majority.
I seriously don't make much of the 'approval rating goes up' poll. Something is either wrong with the methodology or people in general if 45% approve of the job he's doing and 60-70% think he should resign. The 15% overlap cannot exist. It just can't.

The problem with protests is they get hijacked so easily and the original intent and message gets mixed in with other people's anger and eventually people just start yelling out "fuck the police". Keep in mind, there are people that practically protest for a living. The larger this thing is the more drowned out the original message gets. That's my concern.

OK, you best stay at home then.

Exactly. Let us handle this. I like the monicker rally. Good idea. Anybody do anything they can think of. Now we have a webpage to work with. And I hope we will hear more from Savetoronto.

We need one unified message. What is it we're looking to accomplish? Do we want him to resign? Do we want him to acknowledge things better? Is it the drinking we're upset with? The bullying? Is there a way to include all of this under one all encompassing term? Does "Save Toronto" work for that purpose? Once we get that stuff nailed down, then we reach out to groups that usually help with rallies.

eta: I like the weekday idea. If it's possible to get enough people to leave work to attend, it could have a big impact, but I'm nervous about the whole "during regular working hours" thing and it's impact on who shows up.

Awesome work savetoronto. I personally think we keep the message simple: Time to go, or something like that. We want him gone. We have seen enough. Anything weaker than that is not worth the effort.

good luck with your Rob Ford 2014 Re-election campaign.

Some people are able to put aside their ideological partisan hatred of unions to do what's best for the city. Everyone isn't drinking the kool aid and you can't shove out an entire sector of people because some have bad opinions of them.

We need one unified message. What is it we're looking to accomplish? Do we want him to resign? Do we want him to acknowledge things better? Is it the drinking we're upset with? The bullying? Is there a way to include all of this under one all encompassing term? Does "Save Toronto" work for that purpose?

My two cents: something that plays on the mistrust many of us now feel towards the mayor, the dissatisfaction with his vague, evasive answers. That gets Ford where it hurts: his whole brand is predicated on him being a "straight-shooter." And yet we know he is anything but.

I also think the word 'taxpayers' should worked in there somehow. Yes, I know 'citizens' is a better descriptor for many reasons (eg. some of the poor do not directly pay a lot of taxes, etc), but I like the idea of throwing his phony baloney rhetoric back at him; it undercuts his B.S.

So how about: "Be honest with Toronto taxpayers"? Or, "Give us the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth!" "Time to come clean with us, Mr. Mayor!" Just spitballin' here...

My two cents: something that plays on the mistrust many of us now feel towards the mayor, the dissatisfaction with his vague, evasive answers. That gets Ford where it hurts: his whole brand is predicated on him being a "straight-shooter." And yet we know he is anything but.

I also think the word 'taxpayers' should worked in there somehow. Yes, I know 'citizens' is a better descriptor for many reasons (eg. some of the poor do not directly pay a lot of taxes, etc), but I like the idea of throwing his phony baloney rhetoric back at him; it undercuts his B.S.

So how about: "Be honest with Toronto taxpayers"? Or, "Give us the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth!" "Time to come clean with us, Mr. Mayor!" Just spitballin' here...

I was thinking that as well "Taxpayers for Truth" or something like that. It hits him right where it should. Not all taxpayers agree with him and his actions. And personally as a taxpayer, I find his policies really bad for us, so I think embracing that term is a very good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back