News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah ... I was just coming back to edit actually :)

I've admired (not always agreed with) Dryden for years; he is thoughtful and intelligent, an excellent writer and speaker.

The common refrain from outsiders about the mayor of this city, is starting to ring true. Not so much "what is wrong with this guy" anymore but, "what is wrong with the people of Toronto" for allowing this freakshow to continue...

From my outsider's perspective, I'd say I agreeded with you (ie what's wrong with the TO people?!?) up until the "more than enough to eat at home" comment. After that, I had a bizzare about-face with my Schadenford;
Turns out that TO is not the center of the universe with all the smart folk bastion that has been fed to me all these years. Turns out there are more hosers there than was let on, and TO doesn't deserve my indignant scorn for being "elite". No, it deserves my compassion- just like I'd have for any regular Joe going through a rough time.

The only question left in my mind is: Will Toronto really be torn apart/worse off/bankrupt after Five more years of the Ford boys, or is this all just political machinations of Left vs Right? Maybe it doesn't matter who the Boss Twerk is, as long as there's enough competency amongst the underlings.

From my outsider's perspective, I'd say I agreeded with you (ie what's wrong with the TO people?!?) up until the "more than enough to eat at home" comment. After that, I had a bizzare about-face with my Schadenford;
Turns out that TO is not the center of the universe with all the smart folk bastion that has been fed to me all these years. Turns out there are more hosers there than was let on, and TO doesn't deserve my indignant scorn for being "elite". No, it deserves my compassion- just like I'd have for any regular Joe going through a rough time.

The only question left in my mind is: Will Toronto really be torn apart/worse off/bankrupt after Five more years of the Ford boys, or is this all just political machinations of Left vs Right? Maybe it doesn't matter who the Boss Twerk is, as long as there's enough competency amongst the underlings.
Traffic is really crippling the GTA. We need smart people with vision, who understand transit and traffic planning. Ford and his brother have no clue. Indeed, they are destructive to the vision of this city, not only by pitting people against each other, but by eliminating bike lanes etc.

Traffic is really crippling the GTA. We need smart people with vision, who understand transit and traffic planning. Ford and his brother have no clue. Indeed, they are destructive to the vision of this city, not only by pitting people against each other, but by eliminating bike lanes etc.

Adding: The lack of vision is one of the things that bothers me the most about Ford (besides the lying and criminality). He and his national minions just complain and vote against things, rather than trying to come up with solutions to the very real problems we have. Or if he does have any ideas, they are ridiculous (ferris wheels) or kick backs to friends (GFL).

Rob ford actually drove around in a crappy $7000 Pontiac minivan for years until his brothers bought him the escalade.

The Escalade he initially said he'd bought himself until Doug said it was his gift. Another unexplained lie/failure to get story straight.

Rob Ford’s Agenda Still Resonates (62%) and Even 39% Would Consider Voting for Him in Next Election as Inner and Outer City Core Citizens Starkly Divided

http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=6363

To me, this represents little or no change in the numbers. 39% would consider voting for him, which means 61% would not. That's what the polling said a couple months ago.

As for Ford's agenda resonating, I can see how a high number would answer yes to this. It's enough of a vague question that the responder can mentally search through Ford's rhetoric to find something they agree with. I, for one, agree with the general principle that governments should not waste money. So when Ford says "I'll cut government waste", I could say "well, I am for that". It doesn't mean, though, that I would ever vote for Ford (if I lived in Toronto).

Adding: The lack of vision is one of the things that bothers me the most about Ford (besides the lying and criminality). He and his national minions just complain and vote against things, rather than trying to come up with solutions to the very real problems we have. Or if he does have any ideas, they are ridiculous (ferris wheels) or kick backs to friends (GFL).

Exactly. I recall the Fords bemoaning "library gravy" -- Dougie saying, "We have more libraries per person than any other city in the world. I've got more libraries in my area than I have Tim Hortons." First (and this almost doesn't even need to said at this point), Dougie lied. There's no part of the city that has more libraries than Tim Hortons. Second, would that be such a calamity, having more libraries than Tim Hortons? Think about what each of those places provides, and ask yourself which does society need more. Well, I guess I mean that part of society that values learning, knowledge and community more than artery-clogging deep-fried pastries. So, not Ford Nation.

Agreed, Ford's agenda definitely resonates with many people. However, if you ask those same people just what Ford has accomplished from his agenda, they have a hard time answering with specifics except for "he cut the VRT!" which apparently is reason enough to still vote for him. :confused:

This seemed like one of the kookier rumours we've heard here lately. I mean, if a numbered company owned 15 Windsor Rd., wouldn't we have read about that in the ITO?

But I love the conspiracy theories too much, so I went and paid the Teranet fee for the title. It's owned by Lina and Elio Basso. They paid $2 (!) for it back in 1976.

View attachment 21100

In any day 2 bucks is fishy...

The escalade is leased by DECO

Either way, it still doesn't amount to 'I bought it myself' (Rob's version) or 'I bought it for Rob as a present' (Doug's version). The fact that that makes it tax-deductible is the only thing that matters to either of them, but one gets to act like he saved a bunch of money and treated himself, the other gets to pretend he's a nice generous brother.

Either way, it still doesn't amount to 'I bought it myself' (Rob's version) or 'I bought it for Rob as a present' (Doug's version). The fact that that makes it tax-deductible is the only thing that matters to either of them, but one gets to act like he saved a bunch of money and treated himself, the other gets to pretend he's a nice generous brother.

I don't think he ever did say that

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/07/22/toronto_mayors_new_cadillac_escalade_a_birthday_gift.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back