News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
not to take the thread off topic, but i don't think drinking and drug use means that a person has a deathwish or whatever. at worst, it's just sort of immature or maybe like an addiction. i go through phases (every single vacation, for instance) when i'm pretty much wasted for a week or more in a row and i think it's great. if a person could go through life basically sipping cocktails all day long and still achieve her or his personal goals, i think that'd be the best possible way to live. i don't get why people have to get all presbyterian on the booze/pills/powder. like nick and nora in the thin man or something, i'd love that. in this ludicrous joke of mayor's case, i'd also say that if heavy daily alcohol and drugs use keeps him off the job, it's for the best.

Ford seems to be running on the gutter ticket. It is as if the worst possible, lowest-common, vitriolic denominator candidate, with no vision, no aptitude, and with massive personal problems, was running for mayor. And someone who could possibly win due to name recognition.

I am reading Crazy Town, now and the comparison to Miller's description is so stark: Harvard educated environmentalist who likes writing policy and posed on the cover of Fab etc.

Toronto is really is such a strange surreal place.

Yeah, this is the weight loss version of Ford. It's amazing he shows his face in public with all that's been reported in The Star today. And his face is as red as ever.

I actually firmly believe he has absolutely no awareness of the things the Star is publishing. I am sure he tuned out the reporting on his activities months ago. It's why he keeps getting caught doing the same stuff over and over again.

In other words, I am convinced he is not following the Rob Ford Story in any real detail.

He's just out there in his own made up world.

not to take the thread off topic, but i don't think drinking and drug use means that a person has a deathwish or whatever. at worst, it's just sort of immature or maybe like an addiction. i go through phases (every single vacation, for instance) when i'm pretty much wasted for a week or more in a row and i think it's great. if a person could go through life basically sipping cocktails all day long and still achieve her or his personal goals, i think that'd be the best possible way to live. like nick and nora in the thin man or something, i'd love that. in the titular mayor's case, i'd say that if heavy daily alcohol and drugs use keeps him off the job, it's for the best.
Hmm, well to say I disagree with you would be understating it.
I work with people who have mental health and addiction issues.
People who need substances to function in daily life are living to feed their addiction. They are not going to be good employees no matter what the job.
You may think it is fun, but your body thinks differently.
The fact is Rf CANNOT do his job. He could not do it properly even if he were sober, as he is not smart enough, and does not have the right personality for the job. However as an addict, he skips work to go drinking with his drug dealer, shows up late, leaves early, has a high absenteeism percentage, and does not go to events he is supposed etc.
RF's addiction problem has been well documented. It is not just a vacation thing. It is and every day ongoing thing. He has been urged by staff and others to get help. It is especially vexing that he won't and is so stubborn, considering he is a married middle aged man with young children.
But that is addiction. It becomes what a person lives for.

Ugh I think this whole pride flag thing is definitely done to drive up Ford's support amongst those who support "traditional marriage".

1.) The Pride Flag was never ever flown at the expense of the Canadian flag. Ford's handlers probably knew this, but also know that media will not report on the bigger picture.
2.) As such, it's not an issue about patriotism or supporting our athletes.
3.) As such, it's more an issue about A. Massoudi, Doug and Rob using Ford's opposition to equal rights as a campaign tool.

All manufactured outrage and faux patriotism- the tools of the populist.

It's utterly despicable, but not out of line given Ford's actions these last few months.

<soapbox>
At the risk of straying off topic again, I really think the Pride Flag thing was very poorly handled from the get go. There were cities across the country that were doing this without a great deal of push or fuss, and Toronto simply wasn't going to. It never came up. WHICH IS SHAMEFUL. Then when it did, no-one got out in front of the solidarity/unity message, and the homophobes and Nationites twisted the message to fit their agenda. FFS, Many still think the flag REPLACED a Canadian flag at NPS...
Ford keeps getting away with stuff because the media won't call him on it or (other than Dale at the debate the other night) have a running BS meter. We need to be calling the media on these things....
</soapbox>

He's banned.
Good. No more Dundat [sic] Square!

We tolerate many different viewpoints. Intolerant viewpoints are not tolerated though.

I heard that Vladimir Putin likes Chick-fil-A; said restaurant would be very popular in Uganda.

However, Toronto shall not tolerate Chick-fil-A (perhaps make it law that increases property taxes for chain restaurants that open no more than six days a week excluding statutory holidays).

A student in North Carolina was bullied for liking My Little Pony: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...0_for_hospitalized_boy_who_loves_cartoon.html (bullies call him gay for liking a "girly" show, which has a sizable adult male fanbase) (the same can be applied to Kirby fans, which also has a sizable adult male fanbase)

Last edited:
Hmm, well to say I disagree with you would be understating it.
I work with people who have mental health and addiction issues.
People who need substances to function in daily life are living to feed their addiction. They are not going to be good employees no matter what the job.
You may think it is fun, but your body thinks differently.
The fact is Rf CANNOT do his job. He could not do it properly even if he were sober, as he is not smart enough, and does not have the right personality for the job. However as an addict, he skips work to go drinking with his drug dealer, shows up late, leaves early, has a high absenteeism percentage, and does not go to events he is supposed etc.
RF's addiction problem has been well documented. It is not just a vacation thing. It is and every day ongoing thing. He has been urged by staff and others to get help. It is especially vexing that he won't and is so stubborn, considering he is a married middle aged man with young children.
But that is addiction. It becomes what a person lives for.

i guess i mostly agree (especially about robbo) but i was more taking issue with the presbyterian sort of condemnation/moral judgment of consuming booze and pills. i totally see nothing wrong with boozing up all day on a weekend or whatever, sniffing drugs, smoking weed, it's a great time. obviously, if you're totally addicted to drink or getting high and can't do anything at all without it, you've a problem. and of course, this clown of a mayor wouldn't be suited to the job even if he were sober, and his insane behavior is well-documented and totally disgraceful.

Another thing drawn through Crazy Town: the degree to which Doug Sr. was the most aggressively scorched-earth kind of self-aggrandising "salesman". Makes me wonder if the kids (Doug Jr. most of all) got so utterly caught up in the hokum pattern making Deco and themselves up to be even more of a supersuperduperduper powerhouse than it all really is, and maybe they're only now coming to realize the real-world limitations of that approach, yet they just can't get out of that locked groove because the only real world they know is that custom-crafted by their own father. (Though that'd only be in the event that the Ford campaign gaskets are *really* blowing. And it's hard to tell whether that's truly the case yet.)

If someone has posted this then please disregard:

Bf-Ms7CIYAA_uBD.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/TOMayorFrod/status/432218792786411520/photo/1

i guess i mostly agree (especially about robbo) but i was more taking issue with the presbyterian sort of condemnation/moral judgment of consuming booze and pills. i totally see nothing wrong with boozing up all day on a weekend or whatever, sniffing drugs, smoking weed, it's a great time. obviously, if you're totally addicted to drink or getting high and can't do anything at all without it, you've a problem. and of course, this clown of a mayor wouldn't be suited to the job even if he were sober, and his insane behavior is well-documented and totally disgraceful.

If he were able to keep it together, was good at the job, and at least had some social skills, no one would much care what substances he chose to partake in, I am sure. But he isn't, isn't and doesn't. A friend who is a bit of an alcoholic himself told me he used to see David Miller at the bar all the time. He called Miller an alkie, so I knew it was coming from a good source! lol
I am a health geek and don't share your view point regarding the use of substances. But I know some people need them to self medicate etc. Whatever gets you through the day.
But if you fuck up repeatedly, you gotta get the boot. And we are really really ham strung in this mayoral situation because we can't toss him. Worse, he is emboldened by every disclosure. He seems to be running for Mayor of the Decrepits!

RE: Presbyterian values. My Irish mom told me that when she moved here in the early 70s she thought it was very Scottish/Presbyterian, because everything closed up early at night, and shut down entirely on Sunday. NOTHING used to be happening on Sundays. Toronto was no fun back then. It has improved a lot since those days but that mind set might still rear its head every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back