News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably has to do with the hipster picnic parties that have ballooned in recent years in the park. Now that the sunny weather is coming, it's guaranteed that the hipsters will follow!

Oh no! Hipsters! Picnics! In a park!

Cops just held a one-year update on Michael Nguyen's murder case. One of the rumours has been that it was a revenge killing for Smith's murder since it happened only two days later. Cops aren't ruling anything out but it doesn't seem like they have much to go on at this point aside from the description of the car and what the guys were wearing.

Here's the press release:

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/28821

Like putting up fake election signs, or something more nefarious?

BenSpurr 1:18pm via TweetDeck
Police at 14 Division holding a community meeting on Thursday to discuss "common misuse" of Trinity Bellwoods Park.

Drinking, probably. Buncha killjoys.

I have read and enjoyed your posts and we agree on pretty much everything, at least in regards to Rob Ford!:) So I am surprised at your support of the airport expansion. Just curious as to your reasoning on this. Feel free to PM me if you feel that may OT for this thread. Otherwise I think others on here would be curious too.
Or post in the Island airport thread :)

I have read and enjoyed your posts and we agree on pretty much everything, at least in regards to Rob Ford!:) So I am surprised at your support of the airport expansion. Just curious as to your reasoning on this. Feel free to PM me if you feel that may OT for this thread. Otherwise I think others on here would be curious too.

I am a private pilot, and have many friends in aviation related professions. I realize the massive economic benefit of having an airport downtown that can service aircraft with greater range. I am amazed that the Q400s we fly into the airport right now, people are OK with keeping, but you tell them "we're building an aircraft that will be as loud or quieter than the current ones, it just uses a different method of propulsion" and they freak the f*** out. People keep framing the argument as "no jets". What have jets ever done to you, man? They're more efficient than turboprops and can be quieter with the proper equipment. It's easy to measure noise. If Bombardier delivers on their promise of jets quieter than turboprops, what's your problem?

Then there's the issue of expansion. Well, the runway needs to be expanded anyway since Transport Canada put in new regulations for runoff areas. A bad landing could currently put a plane in the water, do we want that? We'll need to extend the runway anyway. Porter wants a little bit more so that they could fly larger aircraft in. It's not a big deal. It's only going to slightly extend the marine exclusion zone, it's not the doom and gloom everyone thinks it is. It is a large city, and large cities evolve. At least we are lucky we have a lake and the airport isn't in the middle of the city, other cities are not so lucky and have heavies flying right into the city centre.

Alright. So if you're with me that the noise isn't an issue, that the extension itself needs to be done anyway, what do we have left? The traffic situation at Bathurst St there. "Think about the children" and all that. I accept that that is a concern, but fellas, you're downtown. There's going to be traffic. That problem is a completely separate concern from "nojetsTO". Jets are not going to cause traffic problems, Rob Ford's policies cause traffic problems. If you assume, like I do, that the city will keep growing then the area is going to become higher trafficked as a matter of fact, regardless of whether you put bigger planes or more flight slots into Billy Bishop.

And this is just a personal opinion, but I prefer the whine of a jet engine to the hammering noise of a turboprop feathering its props. If we can confirm that the aircraft are no louder than the current Q400s in terms of air pressure (decibels), what's the harm?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/2...b-fords-personal-issues-in-campaign-for-mayor

TORONTO - Mayoral candidate John Tory says Mayor Rob Ford’s drug and alcohol use are “personal issues” and should be off limits while on the campaign trail.

The former Ontario Progressive Conservative leader, Rogers Cable executive, and former talk radio host told the Toronto Sun on Saturday that while he acknowledges he used a recent mayoral debate to criticize mayor Rob Ford about associating with “criminals” and “gang types,” he won’t be going after Ford when it comes to the latter’s admitted use of crack cocaine.

“I said repeatedly when I was on radio that I thought those were personal issues, and that they are serious personal issues that do impair the ability of anybody to do a job like mayor,” said Tory before speaking with potential voters at Toronto’s Festival of Beer at the Evergreen Brick Works on Bayview Ave. “But they are personal issues, whereas I think when you hang around with criminals ... these are issues that I think are fair game to be talked about in the context of his fitness to continue do the job.”

It was during a debate at Ryerson University Thursday night Tory criticized Ford for his associations with “convicted criminals” and “gang types” who have become players in the crack cocaine scandal currently surrounding Ford — such as Alexander “Sandro” Lisi, who faces extortion charges in relation to attempts to retrieve the infamous video that appears to show Ford smoking the addictive drug.

Tory did acknowledge, however, that when he talked on the air about Ford’s issues, he did express the viewpoint that those struggling with addiction need to focus on getting help.

“I addressed them many times on radio, and what I said at the time — and what I reiterate today — (is) people who have serious personal issues like that should get help. And, in fact, they’d be better off if they took some time off from their job to address those personal issues but (Ford) has chosen a different route.”

I am a private pilot, and have many friends in aviation related professions. I realize the massive economic benefit of having an airport downtown that can service aircraft with greater range. I am amazed that the Q400s we fly ......................................... just a personal opinion, but I prefer the whine of a jet engine to the hammering noise of a turboprop feathering its props. If we can confirm that the aircraft are no louder than the current Q400s in terms of air pressure (decibels), what's the harm?

Thanks for that Euler, as my (non-criminal) lawyer would say, I will take that under advisement!:)

Heading off to the Island Airport thread to educate myself.

Thanks for that Euler, as my (non-criminal) lawyer would say, I will take that under advisement!:)

Heading off to the Island Airport thread to educate myself.

I didn't even know we had one. :p

The summary of my argument is basically that method of propulsion is a terrible way to determine what kind of aircraft should be "allowed". That agreement was made back when we didn't have high-bypass turbofans that are as good as we have now, they were loud as f---. You ever see an A380 take off? I swear it's quieter than some RJs I've seen! But I did not have a decibel meter to confirm. Wanna talk about traffic, talk about the marine exclusion zone, whatever. That's up for debate.

But the method of propulsion? In 2014 that's just ridiculous.

"TORONTO - Mayoral candidate John Tory says Mayor Rob Ford’s drug and alcohol use are “personal issues” and should be off limits while on the campaign trail."

One-third of Canada's population is located within a 160 km radius of Toronto.

In the event of an emergency, is it too much to ask that the person in charge is at least sober?

What about the fact Ford's drug use put him and the city at risk of exploitation for criminal gain? How is that NOT an election issue? If Tory can't see that he's not fit for the office.

I didn't even know we had one. :p

I didn't either! I have this thread open 24/7 even to the point of neglecting the new building and construction forum which is why I came to UT in the first place. This RoFo guy has turned things upside down for me. Talk about an obsession!:)

What about the fact Ford's drug use put him and the city at risk of exploitation for criminal gain? How is that NOT an election issue? If Tory can't see that he's not fit for the office.

Agree! Sometimes he just comes up with the darndest things. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Cops just held a one-year update on Michael Nguyen's murder case. One of the rumours has been that it was a revenge killing for Smith's murder since it happened only two days later. Cops aren't ruling anything out but it doesn't seem like they have much to go on at this point aside from the description of the car and what the guys were wearing.

interesting if it ends up being part of the web. alas, this isn't the windsor *drive* home invasion, but a home invasion in windsor sure does sound like the gangs run over the same grounds: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/0...victim-was-involved-in-windsor-home-invasion/

i really want a strong connection between RoFo and the gangs-who-are-the-gunrunners. something has to sever his stronghold over communities with pockets like Dixon; as long as he's a "little guy" it will remain, but if he facilitates the violence, perhaps not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back