News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is why Blair took the risk, unless he was forced into this by the Fords, which screams of corruption/manipulation. Hard to understand this any other way.

Yeah that's kind of what I don't understand. Presumably at that level you sorta know who has your back and who doesn't. So why would you hand it up to the OPP if you had reason to believe they were going to wind up and kick you in the 'nads.

Spite-based politics do not make for good policy outcomes. Ever.

There's a lot of "spite" support for Ford among Sun commenters. The only (somewhat) comforting factor is that many of these morons appear to live outside of Toronto, and so won't be able to vote in October.

Speaking of timing, he apparently held back his previous column where the OPP dismisses the investigation for a few weeks. His OPP source gave him that stuff weeks ago but he timed it to come out now for some reason.

But didn't you say that the source wasn't actually an officer? Also if he got that information weeks ago, then really, how long did the OPP actually think about the case and look at the information before making a decision? Smells to high heaven.

If Ford knows some dirty cops, doesn't it stand to reason that one of them could be leaking the info that is causing all this confusion?

TRA:

Or maybe, just maybe there are good(ish) cops out there? I mean, just how many of you can tolerate a mayor getting himself involved in gangs and drugs while having to be put into a position of policing said issues?

AoD
No, I trust Blair, and the TPS. What worries me is his handing this over to the OPP. Did he not know it would play out like this? Or more likely, he suspected this, but his hands were tied.

But didn't you say that the source wasn't actually an officer? Also if he got that information weeks ago, then really, how long did the OPP actually think about the case and look at the information before making a decision? Smells to high heaven.

Warmington uses both TPS and OPP "sources" in that article. I believe it was the TPS source that Jimmy T said wasn't actually an officer.

Yeah that's kind of what I don't understand. Presumably at that level you sorta know who has your back and who doesn't. So why would you hand it up to the OPP if you had reason to believe they were going to wind up and kick you in the 'nads.

Exactly. And the Fords forced his hand into a move that appears to get them off the hook. Very fishy, and unlikely to be a surprise move for Blair.

There's a lot of "spite" support for Ford among Sun commenters. The only (somewhat) comforting factor is that many of these morons appear to live outside of Toronto, and so won't be able to vote in October.
Two things about these people...
  1. They usually start by calling anyone disgusted by Ford's behaviour "a leftie." A huge miscalculation in my opinion, although only an election can really tell.
  2. They aren't so much pro Ford (or pro anything!) as they are against what they see as "L/liberals" and have little opinion on how to build a great city when pressed. Their answers will usually be "we can't afford it anyway."
Related, but If you follow the thinking that Ford's support is in poorer, often immigrant communities, I'm not sure it stands to reasons that he'd always be viewed more favourably in the 905. Places like Malton (Mississauga), Milton, parts of Brampton, perhaps pockets of Durham/York Region, are for sure probably prime "Ford Nation" territory if they could vote for him. However, the "outer 416" belt isn't always that economically (or demographically) in-line with the 905. I'd also think he'd be completely unpopular in places like Halton Region (save Milton). Suburban doesn't always mean pro-Ford basically. There's much more at play.

Last edited:
Touche. Someone needs to remind me what "old people" and "new people" stands for in [Pol Pot's] regime - and how it relates to Ford Nation.

AoD

The 'old' people were mostly rural residents, peasants, considered politically malleable; the 'new people' were mostly urban, migrants, politically more suspect, often resettled and made to perform forced labour. The Khmer Rouge distrusted intellectuals, teachers, people susceptible to foreign influence, minorities, people who wore glasses, people who knew other languages, etc.

the lemur:

Give the man a prize! It's an oversimplification of course but the parallels of division and manipulation is well, universal.

AoD

Not forgetting the hatred for the 'elite' in both cases, of course, despite being part of an elite in some way (Pol Pot himself was university-educated abroad and spoke more than one language).

Related, but If you follow the thinking that Ford's support is in poorer, often immigrant communities, I'm not sure it stands to reasons that he'd always be viewed more favourably in the 905. Places like Malton (Mississauga), Milton, parts of Brampton, perhaps pockets of Durham/York Region, are for sure probably prime "Ford Nation" territory if they could vote for him. However, the "outer 416" belt isn't always that economically (or demographically) in-line with the 905. I'd also think he'd be completely unpopular in places like Halton Region (save Milton). Suburban doesn't always mean pro-Ford basically. There's much more at play.

I am unlurking (from a very long time reading this thread with great amusement) to say that he's completely unpopular in Milton. I just moved here from Toronto via NYC, we are definitely not poor, and I'm a sixth-generation Canadian. Most of my neighbours aren't immigrants, either. Ethnically diverse, sure. But nobody I've spoken to in Milton is pro-Ford. I wish I could vote in October. A lot of people in Milton do.

Please don't paint Miltonites (?) with a Ford-supporting brush. It's just not true.

/rant /$0.02 /backtolurking /reluctant905er

Last edited:
Do your own homework, kiddo.

Don't be so dismissive and hostile. Not everyone spends that much time on Urban Toronto.

Summary of last 50 pages: What we expected has been thrown up in the air, and Ford's arrest is no longer happening for now. There can only be more predictions once the dust settles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back