News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm noticing the usual suspects on twitter are starting to dare each other to fights now. Lefty vs righty and all that jazz. RoDoFo are so neglectful that they are really inspiring the worst in people, all approved in minds because human nature is far more a well oiled machine than we ever will be.

I still fear some bad stuff :(

Here is a comment a friend wrote on his Facebook. He was replying to a comment I made about longing for the days when people who are uninformed about politics were more likely to stay home than to vote for someone like Ford. He is not a Ford supporter in the slightest, but he did make some decent observations about his appeal.

That statement is unfair. Rob Ford appeals to people who feel marginalized by the system, that does not necessarily make them uninformed. Elitists may not like his brand of populist politics, but progressives would be smart to pay attention to how he does politics. They could learn somethings about engaging the disenfranchised from him. Say what you like about Ford, if you have ever met him you'll have to admit that he is one of the friendliest, most engaging and accessible politicians there is. Volunteering at his environment day when he was a councillor, he engaged me long discussion about politics (all I had to say I was an NDP supporter to get him going) and he drove himself to buy coffee and donuts for all the volunteers. He left a positive impression on me at that time. Progressives should stop complaining and learn to work as hard as he does if they want the votes.

Ford Festival: POV from LGBTQ people and supporters

I finally watched this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lShYRxPmgh0 and it is truly heartbreaking that there exists, in our modern society, people (and I use that term loosely) who are so uncivilized, cruel and ignorant.

Tragic.

Fights, as in: *physical* fights?

Ya! One of "ours", if you will, commented about a ford nayshunite not showing up for the fight they arranged.

Just feels like all this rhetoric and constantly seeing RoDoFo be arrogant, unabashed and unquestioned jerks is filtering into the 25%.

And there's enough folks who were supposed to be "quietly" at ford fest but ended up getting into it with folks.

Just makes me go hmmm.

Here is a comment a friend wrote on his Facebook. He was replying to a comment I made about longing for the days when people who are uninformed about politics were more likely to stay home than to vote for someone like Ford. He is not a Ford supporter in the slightest, but he did make some decent observations about his appeal.

I don't know...he lost me at "Progressives should stop complaining and learn to work as hard as he does if they want the votes."

I’m not sure what Rob Ford ‘does’ to connect with disenfranchised people, but it sure ain't the result of ‘hard work’, because Rob Ford is as lazy as a toad at the bottom of a well.

Also: “He drove himself to buy coffee and donuts for all the volunteers.†???

He would have done that so he could do a line and smoke a joint.

Shit our co-mayor says:

ddale8 11:20pm via Twitter Web Client
Doug Ford, Rob Ford's campaign manager, says they'll have policies on parks, transit, and the land transfer tax over the next "few weeks."

They just figured out now they need a platform...

ddale8 11:21pm via Twitter Web Client
(He's on Newstalk with Joe Warmington, who said the people who implemented the "stealing" land transfer tax "should go to jail.")

Well, at least he`s thinking about jail...

Last edited:

That's all very nice, but calling Ford supporters uninformed is actually giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's really the nicest thing you could say about them. How are other politicians supposed to match Ford's unique appeal to the disenfranchised? Not use such big words? Act like idiots? Associate with criminals? Pander for votes by offering to come over and vacuum your drapes personally? Ford has this thing where he craves affirmation, so if you act like you like him, he'll be nice to you. In no way should that be mistaken for his actually being a good person. If people are actually willing to fall for that, what can you do? Competing on that level just means that politics will literally become a personal popularity contest, and that ain't good for anybody. It's important that people who run for office stick to a higher standard than Rob-fricking-Ford when trying to get votes, even if it means they lose.

I don't know...he lost me at "Progressives should stop complaining and learn to work as hard as he does if they want the votes."

I’m not sure what Rob Ford ‘does’ to connect with disenfranchised people, but it sure ain't the result of ‘hard work’, because Rob Ford is as lazy as a toad at the bottom of a well.

Also: “He drove himself to buy coffee and donuts for all the volunteers.” ???

He would have done that so he could do a line and smoke a joint.

Firstly, mostly, he is so anti-system, so giving the middle finger to the system, that they would do themselves if put just a little more time or effort in. He is their proxy middle finger.
AND don't discount the little things. The face to face, I'll help *you*, the $20's and Timmys cards don't hurt either. I'm a contractor that usually works alone, but if I have a crew for a job, I'll by them all coffees on Monday and Tuesday, by Wednesday they will work extra hours, (paid) without question. (I'm a bit of a softy, I'll buy the coffees all week as a rule, but that kinda works against my point.)

That's all very nice, but calling Ford supporters uninformed is actually giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's really the nicest thing you could say about them. How are other politicians supposed to match Ford's unique appeal to the disenfranchised? Not use such big words? Act like idiots? Associate with criminals? Pander for votes by offering to come over and vacuum your drapes personally? Ford has this thing where he craves affirmation, so if you act like you like him, he'll be nice to you. In no way should that be mistaken for his actually being a good person. If people are actually willing to fall for that, what can you do? Competing on that level just means that politics will literally become a personal popularity contest, and that ain't good for anybody. It's important that people who run for office stick to a higher standard than Rob-fricking-Ford when trying to get votes, even if it means they lose.

By actually doing what everyone before Ford said they would and didn't. Which isn't going to happen in a vacuum. Whoever, has to engage them to help work for the better good, together. That will be tough, it's a lot easier to bitch than do.

Shit our co-mayor says:

ddale8 11:20pm via Twitter Web Client
Doug Ford, Rob Ford's campaign manager, says they'll have policies on parks, transit, and the land transfer tax over the next "few weeks."

They just figured out now they need a platform...

ddale8 11:21pm via Twitter Web Client
(He's on Newstalk with Joe Warmington, who said the people who implemented the "stealing" land transfer tax "should go to jail.")

Well, at least he`s thinking about jail...

Unfortunately for the Ford bros. their platform resembles a gallows.

By actually doing what everyone before Ford said they would and didn't. Which isn't going to happen in a vacuum. Whoever, has to engage them to help work for the better good, together. That will be tough, it's a lot easier to bitch than do.

I think very little of Ford's appeal to his base is because of what he does. It's because of what he is.

So Ford's opening two more parks tomorrow...this could be your last best chance to shout down the drunken crack smoking global embarrassment for being a park funding hypocrite (among other things), since starting Aug. 1 council members are not allowed to attach their names to any city-funded projects.

1. Brookdale Park’s playground near Avenue Rd. and Woburn Ave - 4-5:30
(don't know if Ford voted against this one...anyone?) ETA: found it: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.NY8.36

2. Rotary Peace Park at 25 Eleventh St. in New Toronto - 6-7:30
http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/it/newsrel.nsf/bydate/1A4C3A997874EB3B85257D24004A1C6F
(in case you're wondering, Ford did not vote against this park as he did against the Reading Sprouts Garden that opened last week)

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/29/mayor-rob-ford-embarks-on-a-flurry-of-park-openings

I'm hoping to make it to the Rotary Peace Park to have my say

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back