8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 37s37 seconds ago
"Doug Ford will be pulling vote all day at TCHC buildings in Scarborough" Doug Ford campaign press release #TOpoli

Which he voted against.

Noticed a lot of "I vote with my heart" tweets.

Won't be the least bit surprised if Doug gets in.
I couldn't possibly disagree more. The huge turnout in the advance polls in the non-Ford ridings suggests otherwise. And neither Chow nor Ford have any chance in overtaking Tory ... those voting with their hearts were just as likely to answer polling questions with their hearts.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tory near doubles Ford's vote.

Setting the scene for Doug's victim impact statement (concession speech) later today...

ddale8 10:39am via Twitter for iPhone
RT @powellbetsy: "We have a lot of love and support out there," says Karla Ford. "The haters believe me they don't know my husband."
We know plenty. His council attendance and voting record. His obliviousness to and enabling of his brother's substance abuse problems. His habitual lying that often results in Doug contradicting himself. His fake "largesse" from claiming to donate his salary to charity with zero evidence, to handing out $20s to the little folk. His hatred for autistic teens, downtowners, councilors who don't agree with him, the media, and "that little bitch".

basic said:
I am voting with my heart (Chow), with no fear of Druggo getting in. This is from someone who has strategically voted in the past when needed.
Me too, I would like to help contribute in the attempt for Chow to garner more votes than Ford.

And it would have been more appropo to draw her with round eyes?

If you actually read my post, I referred to the depiction of OC as wearing slanted glasses, not to her eyes. The glasses - rectangular shapes, set at an angle, which bear not a shred of resemblance to the ones she wears (and so could not possibly be claimed to be merely an exaggerated version of reality) - are designed clearly, and solely, to evoke the derogatory label "slant eyes".

ETA: To assist you, here is my post (emphasis added): "There is one reason and only one that OC, uniquely, is depicted as wearing slanted glasses."

Last edited:
I couldn't possibly disagree more. The huge turnout in the advance polls in the non-Ford ridings suggests otherwise. And neither Chow nor Ford have any chance in overtaking Tory ... those voting with their hearts were just as likely to answer polling questions with their hearts.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tory near doubles Ford's vote.

+1. I haven't seen the tweets, but I think "voting with my heart" has more to do with Oliva's supporters choosing not to vote strategically.

Agree with this. Facial characteristics are fair game in caricature if they stand out on the subject amongst their fellows of the same race (Joe Clark's ears, Trudeau's nose and buck teeth, etc.) However, Olivia Chow most definitely doesn't have the portrayed eye-slant as a personal physical characteristic - so that was a rather sickening gratuitous racial stereotype, IMO.

(The entire cartoon was lame, IMO, even without that aspect. Pure spleen, without the political merit or salient content that makes for good editorial cartoons.)

It might also be because Donato is generally terrible at likenesses (he's close to being one of those cartoonists who have to write the person's name on them so you know who it is) and he genuinely only knows how to draw an Asian woman one way. I'm sure if he ever drew Jan Wong it would look exactly the same.

+1. I haven't seen the tweets, but I think "voting with my heart" has more to do with Oliva's supporters choosing not to vote strategically.

Might be a few Ford alts/fake accts trying to split the vote too. (his only hope, really) But if you look at all the polls that cover second choices Ford is almost never anyone's second choice. No room for growth, and Tory's got a way bigger lead than Doug can split off. Doug will finish 3rd.

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 12.19.07 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 12.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 12.19.07 PM.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 569
If you actually read my post, I referred to the depiction of OC as wearing slanted glasses, not to her eyes. The glasses - rectangular shapes, set at an angle, which bear not a shred of resemblance to the ones she wears (and so could not possibly be claimed to be merely an exaggerated version of reality) - are designed clearly, and solely, to evoke the derogatory label "slant eyes".

ETA: To assist you, here is my post (emphasis added): "There is one reason and only one that OC, uniquely, is depicted as wearing slanted glasses."

...chuckle...

It might also be because Donato is generally terrible at likenesses (he's close to being one of those cartoonists who have to write the person's name on them so you know who it is) and he genuinely only knows how to draw an Asian woman one way. I'm sure if he ever drew Jan Wong it would look exactly the same.

I don't doubt that his racist stereotyping is not selective.

Be careful tonight, everyone.

I believe there will be violence with a Ford loss.

Ford Nation is a group of people where many felt so disenfranchised that they didn't vote before Ford. They believe that the world is "fixed" against them; that only the rich and powerful win in life. They act as though Ford's win was a slip up that "the left" (everything from center-right all the way to the left wing) weren't able to "fix" in time to get their own guys in. They believe they are in the majority, as many believe that Ford won a landslide victory (it wasn't) with the largest mandate in Toronto history (it also wasn't). Some will view Doug Ford's loss as yet another election "fixed". This is what Doug's dog-whistling with his talk of Establishment and Elites this past week. He knows he's gonna lose and wants the Nationals to believe he rightfully did win but that it was stolen from him.

Ford Nation has all the makings of a violent political movement. It's rooted deep in ignorance and fear. It attracts some people who are pretty extreme in their views (Iola and James Sears, and to a lesser degree Trustee Sam, Neil Flagg). We've seen small hints that it can get violent, but I guarantee we'll see more tonight and following the election. We'll see some minor violence against the public in places like NPS tonight, but I think we may also see violence against councillors and whomever wins the mayoralty. Don't discount that Ford Nation *will* be willing to come downtown, or that there are already plenty living down here. Be safe tonight.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate… leads to sufffffffffering.

Rob Ford was voted in out of their fears. Doug Ford's loss will lead to anger. You get the rest.

I think Adam Vaughan was brilliant to jump ship to the big leagues. He'd likely be target #1 for any pro-Ford violence. If I were Shelley Carroll or Gord Perks, I'd be pretty vigilant about personal security for a bit.

Except - I think - for the time he depicted Miller as Hitler.

That doesn't even make sense, unless it was going for a Miller sounds like Hitler, which even then is more 'wow...that is really starved for ideas' inducing to me. But the other message the Chow cartoon is trying convey just doesn't seem true to me either. Chow riding on Layton's coat tail I mean. Off hand, I can only think of one instance where Chow even mentioned Layton's name, and it wasn't IMO even that big a deal.

Setting the scene for Doug's victim impact statement (concession speech) later today...

ddale8 10:39am via Twitter for iPhone
RT @powellbetsy: "We have a lot of love and support out there," says Karla Ford. "The haters believe me they don't know my husband."

Ah yes, the "you don't know me" cry of the emotionally stunted.

Be careful tonight, everyone.

I believe there will be violence with a Ford loss.

Ford Nation is a group of people where many felt so disenfranchised that they didn't vote before Ford. They believe that the world is "fixed" against them; that only the rich and powerful win in life. They act as though Ford's win was a slip up that "the left" (everything from center-right all the way to the left wing) weren't able to "fix" in time to get their own guys in. They believe they are in the majority, as many believe that Ford won a landslide victory (it wasn't) with the largest mandate in Toronto history (it also wasn't). Some will view Doug Ford's loss as yet another election "fixed". This is what Doug's dog-whistling with his talk of Establishment and Elites this past week. He knows he's gonna lose and wants the Nationals to believe he rightfully did win but that it was stolen from him.

Ford Nation has all the makings of a violent political movement. It's rooted deep in ignorance and fear. It attracts some people who are pretty extreme in their views (Iola and James Sears, and to a lesser degree Trustee Sam, Neil Flagg). We've seen small hints that it can get violent, but I guarantee we'll see more tonight and following the election. We'll see some minor violence against the public in places like NPS tonight, but I think we may also see violence against councillors and whomever wins the mayoralty. Don't discount that Ford Nation *will* be willing to come downtown, or that there are already plenty living down here. Be safe tonight.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate… leads to sufffffffffering.

Rob Ford was voted in out of their fears. Doug Ford's loss will lead to anger. You get the rest.

I think Adam Vaughan was brilliant to jump ship to the big leagues. He'd likely be target #1 for any pro-Ford violence. If I were Shelley Carroll or Gord Perks, I'd be pretty vigilant about personal security for a bit.

If out on the town tonight, it might be best to avoid wearing your non-FN flags and logo in public. It's just asking for trouble. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to have some FN paraphernalia to break out in case of emergency.

By all means, wear your colours with pride when among friends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back