News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's, what, 52? Living with mommy? Something for 20-something thugs (as he was) to look forward to, I guess.

Everyone always takes the same mocking tone. There can be other reasons, you know. I'm thinking of moving back in with my mom now that she's widowed. My brother lives with her and he's Rob's age (though for him it actually IS a necessity; he doesn't make enough money to move out. Whereas I earn more than my mom & have been on my own for a long time).

A lot of people from other cultures also live in large extended families. This "move out when you're 18 to prove that you're not a loser" thing in North America is just one perspective on life and no one ever offers any proof that it's the right one. There are other lifestyles and perspectives out there.

totally forgot... Happy Halloween everyone! :p
B1TlMFHCQAATCkq.jpg:large

Everyone always takes the same mocking tone. There can be other reasons, you know. I'm thinking of moving back in with my mom now that she's widowed. My brother lives with her and he's Rob's age (though for him it actually IS a necessity; he doesn't make enough money to move out. Whereas I earn more than my mom & have been on my own for a long time).

A lot of people from other cultures also live in large extended families. This "move out when you're 18 to prove that you're not a loser" thing in North America is just one perspective on life and no one ever offers any proof that it's the right one. There are other lifestyles and perspectives out there.

They aren't from another culture and they're rich so your point is moot.

Last edited:

I think it's great if everyone gets along. It's company and helps with the budget. I lived with my family for a while after I started on the job and boy was I ever socking away the money in those days!

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would think politicians punch timecards. Management doesn't punch timecards. Most white collar workers never did, although maybe they do something similar now when everyone needs to log in to a computer. Politicans never would. It would be considered undignified, not consistent with their need for autonomy.

I know I've been on the subway, travelling to watch the council meeting, with no need to be there by a certain time since I'm only an observer, it's maybe about 9:50 (council meetings usually started at 9:30), and there sitting on the train is Jaye Robinson. If you've ever been to a council meeting you'll know that councillors flow in and out of the council room, are often gone for long periods, and when they're in the room don't seem to be paying much attention. Except for Holyday they'd all return from lunch at least 15 minutes late. It's a bit disenchanting.

On the other hand, there's is not a 9-5 job. They often have meetings on weekends or during evenings, and they're supposed to be responsible leaders of the community. We need to trust them to perform their duties without asking them to account for each minute. Many of them clearly put in considerable effort.

While I do agree with your point about the gig not necessarily being a 9-5 job. Key issue here thanks to Rob and Doug, is that trusting them to perform those duties without asking them to account even for days never mind minutes. It can become an exercise in futility and frustration. And fair or not, that distrust can spillover to other politicians and public institutions.

typezed said:
Despite his claims, and many people's willingness to believe and repeat his lies, I truly doubt that Rob Ford ever did.

This, so dang much. Maybe, waaaay back when, Rob did show up to work more often, but that's such a long ago and such a remote possibility. But even if I do go back that far, looking at his antics back then I'm more likely to believe football (and maybe some nose candy) was Rob's first priority, with councilor more of a part time thing.

If Diane needs companionship, I'm sure she can be the judge of that.

Four days after the election, this is the thing that I'm having the hardest time comprehending. That the majority of voters in Ward 2 would choose a man who, despite his previous record, is so seriously ill. (And as we are probably learning, is likely not long for this world). Add to that, VTB's encounter with a professional couple who believed all the DoFo spew unquestioningly. I'm really struggling to come to terms with this - are people generally so under-informed and dis-interested as to not think of consequences to even the smallest degree? Did 59% of Ward 2 voters believe that Rob would magically get better?

And I bet you a dime to a Steak Queen sandwich that the Fords knew all along that Rob's chances were worse than they told the public. So Michael was a placeholder for Rob, and Rob was a placeholder for ... Michael? Who now has some cred, having won an election for trustee. Canvassing Ward 2, I met nice people. I wonder if the Ford love surpasseth all understanding that they've been duped, again.

Finally - how much will the inevitable by-election cost the honest hard-working taxpayers of this great city?

Agreed. Also Lou: thank you for your work with Domise. I was really quite demoralized at the outcome in Ward 2 and the ford trustee election. A few days has given me some perspective and the fact that there are people like you fighting the good fight is one factor that keeps me going. I believe Domise will do impressive things. Thanks again.

Is anyone here posting as "Kathy Ford" on the Sun website? People are actually posting questions to test if it's her. Good work whoever he/she is, some of the postings are quite clever.

Agreed. Also Lou: thank you for your work with Domise. I was really quite demoralized at the outcome in Ward 2 and the ford trustee election. A few days has given me some perspective and the fact that there are people like you fighting the good fight is one factor that keeps me going. I believe Domise will do impressive things. Thanks again.

Thanks for your kind words. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Thought it would be more productive than raging on Twitter. :) And on a personal level, impressed with Domise and his camping manager Andrew Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back